Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Zebedeee
    Zebedeee Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    -/chris-/ wrote: »
    Hi, I am in the process of trying to get my property rebanded with the VOA. Some of the houses which are identical are band C and others are D. Does anybody know if the size of the garden was taken into account when the bandings were decided?

Thanks!:money:
    Hi chris. The bottom line in determining the band is the value of the house in 1991. The size of the garden may affect this to some extent but in most cases I would think that small differences have very little or no effect on the band. Unless, perhaps, you were comparing a house with no garden with a simillar house with a reasonable size garden I wouldn't have thought that this is going to make a lot of difference.

Also, I suppose that a house with a substantial paddock at the bottom of the garden will be worth more than its neighbour with a small garden, but again the differences would have to be substantial.

Hope that helps!

Zebedeee
  • cheesybits
    Options
    Hi
    I've called the VOA - regarding my rebanding and they wrote back after 6 wks - just to say they were not going to lower the tax band
    Basicaly, we are 15 houses built in 2000 and the others houses on the street were built in the 1940's - so its a bit of a mix n match of properties. After checking the street and the area, majority of the houses are in band a to c.
    Some have been converted, extensions added bought and sold but the bandings have not moved for years -
    My house is detached, 4 bedrooms with garage and band E - there are similar properties around which are older and on a lower band.
    i did explain this to the lady from the VOA but she didn't really want to know - they said that we have made our decision and we will not change it.
    What else can i do?:confused:
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi cheesybits,

The VOA has a duty to maintain an accurate list. Based on the information you gave them by phone, they probably feel that they have investigated the case and that there really isn't any evidence for change.

It may be helpful for you to look in the wider context. Think outside of your street and consider the wider neighbourhood. Are there other streets with a similar character that have four bedroom detached houses? You really need to compare with these, as well as those houses in your street that are the same or similar.

If that doesn't bring results, think back to 2000 when you bought your house. What other houses were being built at the same time? What prices did they sell for? Are they in comparable - even if different - areas of town? What band are they? If you looked in the papers in 2000 at houses that were selling for the same or similar price to yours, but were older, what band are they in?

You should be able to pull an argument to go back with from the above. If you have the original sales data you could also look to see if there's anything included in the price that shouldn't have been (eg carpets, non-integrated white goods, etc), and if your garage is in a block rather than within your boundaries that should be excluded too. Sometimes you could get another £10k off your sales price (in terms of how the VOA should consider it) from these factors.

From 2000, new houses were included in the house price sales search engines, so you should be able to work out the original sales price of houses that were built at the same time as yours, which is a real bonus.

Good luck!
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • messyhead
    messyhead Posts: 23 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I just wanted to give my experiences of trying to appeal or tax band.

We first sent our appeal in March 2007, but due to mess-ups with the appeals dept we have only just been given an appeal date for Oct this year. But that's another story.

The council is Glasgow.

We have had a visit from the assessor and our appeal seems to have been blown out the water. I followed the steps in Martins article, and it seemed to indicate that we had a solid case. I live in a modern 4 floor block of flats built in 2000. The 2 flats on the ground floor are band D, and we're band E - so that was a start. The flat opposite ours sold recently, and using the calculator to backdate the price to 1991, it indicated that we should be in band D or possibly C - so that was another tick in the box. There are also other properties nearby ours of a similar or bigger size that are band C and D, and the flat we were in before was far newer and bigger and it was band D. So based on all this we contacted the appeals board.

When we had a meeting with the assessor to go over our case, they seemed to have overwhelming evidence that showed that the band was right. The 2 flats on the ground floor are slightly smaller (by a few square metres), so that's why they are lower. When our band was given, they compared our flats to a block that had existed in 1991, but was in a slightly worse area and also slightly smaller flats. Those flats are band D, so they made us E. The flats nearby that are lower bands are all older style tenements, and although they are much bigger floor space wise and modern fitted out, they don't compare tenement with modern flats. The previous flat we lived in is in a worse area, so even though it was brand new and bigger, the area caused the lower band.

So, now that we've been told all of that I don't think we're going to proceed as there would be no point. It would be a waste of day off work to be told that we're not getting changed.

It just annoys me that they only consider like for like. Many modern fitted out tenement flats are much more appealing than newly built modern flats.
  • -chris-
    -chris- Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Zebedeee wrote: »
    Hi chris. The bottom line in determining the band is the value of the house in 1991. The size of the garden may affect this to some extent but in most cases I would think that small differences have very little or no effect on the band. Unless, perhaps, you were comparing a house with no garden with a simillar house with a reasonable size garden I wouldn't have thought that this is going to make a lot of difference.

Also, I suppose that a house with a substantial paddock at the bottom of the garden will be worth more than its neighbour with a small garden, but again the differences would have to be substantial.

Hope that helps!
    Zebedeee

Hi Zebedeee,
    Thanks for your reply!icon7.gif
  • Zebedeee
    Zebedeee Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Is it worth me trying to get my rented house rebanded?

We are renting a 1-bed house, end-of-terrace (row of 3). We are currently band C. The other end-of-terraces are also band C, with the house in the middle being band B.

BUT in the next road along, there are many 2-bed and 3-bed houses with big gardens and driveways, and they are all band C and D. I presume the 2-beds are band C, although there is a house for sale there now advertised as 3 bedrooms and that is band C.

Also the valuation check shows my house was worth £47k in 1991 which is in the middle of band B. I have done this check on the other end-of-terraces and they all fall into band B too. The mid-terrace also comes back as band B (using all 4 sold prices and dates since 2000).

There is a slight complication in that our living room was extended at some point (from a length of 9'10" to 16'3").

Do I have a case here?
    Hi there.

It's hard to say at this stage whether you have a case or not. You will find that houses worth more or less than yours will be in the same band as you, simply because it is a banding system and not a sliding scale. You need to get some hard evidence together of houses the same as yours, in value if not in appearance, being of the lower band. If you can gather a number of these (the more the merrier) then your case begins to strengthen.

Simply working back values using the calculator is not sufficient for the VOA, you will need actual selling prices from 1991 which can be found in the property pages archives of your local newspaper (often held at the library.)

You mention an extension to your property. It would depend when this was built as to whether it will affect the tax band. If it was pre-1991 then it could have made the house worth more at the time the bands were set, if after this time it shouldn't be taken into consideration by the VOA.

Hope that helps!

Zebedeee
  • quantium
    quantium Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I have read, maybe incorrectly, that home improvements are not usually considered for additional council tax until the property is sold. Is this correct? If it is, does this apply if the house is demolished and rebuilt?
  • exvoperson
    exvoperson Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    quantium wrote: »
    I have read, maybe incorrectly, that home improvements are not usually considered for additional council tax until the property is sold. Is this correct? If it is, does this apply if the house is demolished and rebuilt?
    Dear Quantium

You are correct on the question of improvements however a rebuild is different. When the house is demolished there is no unit of assessment or 'hereditament as its called. The VOA will then remove the assessment from the council tax list. When the new house is built because there is no list entry for that property it is classed as a new property rather than an improved one. The VOA will then put the new property in the list from the date it was finished at the correct band rather than in the band that the original property was in.

If you are self building and taking a long time doing it and live in a caravan then the van will be assessed normally at band A. If you move into the house when only part is finished you could try to get the part house assessed for CT. If the unfinished part needs structural works then the VOA cannot assume the house is finished. They will assess it as a part finished house. The finishing works then become improvements which cannot be reflected in the banding untill the property is sold!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

ExVOperson
  • Titch89
    Titch89 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies if this has already been asked, but I really can't be bothered to go through the whole thread:
    How do I know if my parents are entitled to a disability reduction? I'm registered as partially sighted and have mild mobility (mainly balance) problems. I receive both DLA components at low rate, but am hoping to get mid rate care.

According to my dad, we don't actually have a band. (or something)
  • suezd
    suezd Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Help?!

We have just received notification from our local council that we owe them £60+ for council tax for a flat we rented 15 years ago! Seems the current tenants have applied for it to be re-banded and it has gone up a band. This has been back-dated to 1993. We are expected to pay this within 14 days. Can they legally demand this money? :mad:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback