Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jetty
    • By jetty 12th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 2,931Posts
    • 3,546Thanks
    jetty
    PPI Financial Ombudsman Service
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    PPI Financial Ombudsman Service 12th Mar 18 at 6:28 PM
    Hi,

I had a call today from the Financial Ombudsman service telling me that I have 3000 owing to me from an old bank loan. I don't remember ever filing for this because the loan was in both mine and my ex husband's name. The guy was not English, but gave me an English name. He asked me to confirm details which was just my name and address, which he had anyway, and when he gave me the choice, I opted for a cheque. He sent an email to my partner's email (I said I didn't have one!) confirming all the details. He said the cheque would be sent out tomorrow but will call in the morning. There is no link to click on in the email. Is this somehow a scam? I didn't give any details and wouldn't even tell him my date of birth. I have emailed the Ombudsman through the actual site, but I am worried about what tomorrow will bring :/ Any advice?
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 16,802 Posts
    • 17,812 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    Yes. Stop giving away details to people who phone up offering money.

Your partner will start receiving emails with lots of new and exciting opportunities in them - probably starting with an admin fee that needs to be paid to make sure the cheque gets there ok. Don't pay it.
    • jetty
    • By jetty 12th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    jetty
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    Yes. Stop giving away details to people who phone up offering money.

Your partner will start receiving emails with lots of new and exciting opportunities in them - probably starting with an admin fee that needs to be paid to make sure the cheque gets there ok. Don't pay it.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Oh, I wouldn't lol, I'm not that stupid! It's an email he doesn't really use, which is why I didn't give mine, and I didn't tell him anything he didn't already know. I was just wondering if it was legit. 3000 would be nice! lol

• Dia Pita
    • By Dia Pita 12th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Dia Pita
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    Hi as far as I am aware The Ombudsman Service do not issue any cheques. Any PPI refund would be confirmed in writing in the post (not email) by the relevant Bank/ or loan provider.

It think this is a scam.

Debt Free Aug 15 Mortgage Free Aug 16
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• societys child
    • By societys child 12th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    It think this is a scam.
    It definitely is

Is this somehow a scam?
    It definitely is

3000 would be nice! lol
    That's how the scam works, they rely on your greed.

The Ombudsman Service do not issue any cheques
    Exactly!

Don't get suckered . . .

• jetty
    • By jetty 12th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    jetty
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    It definitely is

It definitely is

That's how the scam works, they rely on your greed.

Exactly!

Don't get suckered . . .
    Originally posted by societys child
    Wow, greed?? My partner has just lost his job, so yeah, playing on my "greed" not my will to survive

• dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 92,577 Posts
    • 59,883 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    I had a call today from the Financial Ombudsman service telling me that I have 3000 owing to me from an old bank loan.
    That is not wording the FOS would use. Plus, they would normally communicate in writing or via email. This would be after they introduced themselves as your case handler and after your complaint had been rejected by the bank and you had then requested the FOS look at it.

The guy was not English, but gave me an English name.
    They always do. I find that bit funny. Did he also tell you he was from microsoft and you had an error on your computer? Or that the Govt had changed some rules and "insert scam of the month in here"?

He sent an email to my partner's email (I said I didn't have one!) confirming all the details.
    did the email address come from the FOS domain or spoofed?

Is this somehow a scam?
    of course it is. Unless you have contacted the FOS, they would not be in contact with you. Plus, the money never comes from the FOS. The bank contacts you on instruction from the FOS to arrange the redress. Typically arrives about 2 weeks to 3 months after the FOS decision.

Wow, greed?? My partner has just lost his job, so yeah, playing on my "greed" not my will to survive
    It was an explanation of how most scams succeed. They play to the greed of the individual. Its not a personal attack. They want you to be blinded by greed.
    Last edited by dunstonh; 12-03-2018 at 8:26 PM.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 20,136 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    My partner has just lost his job, so yeah, playing on my "greed" not my will to survive
    Originally posted by jetty
    The point is they don't care about your personal circumstances. You are told you will receive thousands of pounds and (for whatever reason) you want this money. You are then lured into paying an "administration fee" and, of course, no cheque ever materialises.

The Ombudsman doesn't issue cheques, it can only instruct banks to make payments to customers who they deem have been mis-sold or unfairly treated.

Don't be suckered into giving any personal information at all to cold callers, if you do then you'll invariably regret it.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 12th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    Wow, greed??
    Yes! You are concentrating on the fictitious 3K and ignoring the very obvious scam. The definition of that is g r e e d. Sorry, but that's how it works.
    Banging your head against the wall, won't change anything.
    Last edited by societys child; 12-03-2018 at 7:53 PM.

• jetty
    • By jetty 12th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    jetty
    I am not fixated on anything. I have not given any personal details out (as stated). Yeah, I said it would be nice, but I am under no illusion which is why I asked if this was a scam. I have even emailed the ombudsman. I was just thinking some kind person might be able to just say yes or no without passing judgement or telling me I am greedy.

This place has seriously gone down hill.

• societys child
    • By societys child 12th Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    You've taken it as an insult, now please, stop and think! There's no 3k . .

Hey, we've all been there.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    • 20,136 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I was just thinking some kind person might be able to just say yes or no without passing judgement or telling me I am greedy.
    No one is passing "judgement". We are just informing you that you won't be getting any money.

You HAVE given out personal information in the form of an E-Mail address which will now be open to further such scams and Spam. It doesn't matter that the E-Mail address is "little used", you still gave it out.

Understanding why people fall for these scams is the best way of ensuring that it doesn't happen to you. Admit to yourself why you were keen to believe there might be any truth in this and stop accusing those who have replied here of attacking or judging you.

I have even emailed the ombudsman.
    The Ombudsman will just reply thanking you for informing them of the attempted scam, but you still won't be getting any money.
    • jetty
    • By jetty 13th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    jetty
    I wasn't expecting any money!!!!!! Your last sentence was a judgement. Anyway, thanks for your unhelpfulness.

Just an update: they rung back today and my partner spent 15 minutes on the phone with the same guy asking him why he was scamming people, very deep conversation that ended with the guy apologising and crying that he needed to feed his family, if he had one.

Once again, thanks for the unhelpfulness and I wish you all well

• dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    • 92,577 Posts
    • 59,883 Thanks
    dunstonh
    It must be snowing again. I am certainly seeing snowflakes here.

Just an update: they rung back today and my partner spent 15 minutes on the phone with the same guy asking him why he was scamming people, very deep conversation that ended with the guy apologising and crying that he needed to feed his family, if he had one.
    Don't engage with fraudsters. Be very unBritish and hang up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 20,136 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I wasn't expecting any money!!
    So why did you E-Mail the Ombudsman asking if there could be money forthcoming?

If you are struggling financially, I suggest you seek assistance on the "Debt Free Wannabe" board of this forum. The posters there are well versed giving debt help in a non judgemental manner. They won't "attack" you and certainly won't accuse you of being greedy or stupid.

In future don't believe anyone who cold calls you with offers of "free" money. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

You were very quick to tell others here that they were "unhelpful". I recommend you apply this tactic to the scammers. You will certainly now receive further calls, so be prepared.

This is the PPI board. I wish you only well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,046Posts Today

8,679Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin