Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milo_11
    • By milo_11 13th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    milo_11
    Joint account frozen, no debt, cant close
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    Joint account frozen, no debt, cant close 13th Mar 18 at 11:09 AM
    Hey, I've tried looking for a specific answer and see a lot of similar threads but most seem to have an unpaid overdraft or some other debt attached to it.

My problem appears to be a lot simpler yet I'm getting nowhere.

Like many people, I set up a joint account with an ex. We set it up so both had to sign to take any money out etc as it was our savings for a mortgage deposit.

We ended up splitting up, managed to take the money out jointly, but at the time I did not think of also closing it, it completely slipped my mind.
    Things turned sour and contact stopped.
    I tried getting her to come to the bank to close it down but she didn't seem much to care for it.
    So I contacted them and froze it.

Here-in seems to lie the problem.
    Because I had it frozen-with absolutely no money in the account or any overdraft on it and nothing owed to it, we have to both sign to say the dispute is settled before it can be closed.
    But how can they (Nationwide) be so stubborn on not wanting to close it when nothing is in it and it hasn't been used for well over a year?!

They (Nationwide, who have mostly been good up until this situation) say that it was in the T&C's when we signed to create the account... But absolutely NO couple go into making a joint account with the expectations that we are going to split up at any point, so of course we are going to sign!

Why are there no contingencies for this kind of situation where no money is owed and one party is being resistant to doing anything to help close it down? There is no debt owed to them. Neither of us will be any worse off for having it closed down.

Then there is another issue.
    I asked in branch for them to write to her, and they said it is down to me, not them, to get her to sign something.

Yet I finally managed to get her to respond and she said she can close it down from her end-they said she could-and that if my signature is needed at all, then they will write to me for it!

What the hell is going on??

I just want to remove my financial link to her and be done with it, but no matter how much I try, I don't seem to get anywhere.

As a note of interest, I don't believe her word of dealing with it, until it actually has been dealt with as she has said she would do things before, and nothing happens.
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 7,428 Posts
    • 7,998 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    Why are there no contingencies for this kind of situation where no money is owed and one party is being resistant to doing anything to help close it down?
    Originally posted by milo_11
    Why do you expect them to be responsible for this? If they've said to you that the Ts & Cs of the account necessitate both of you instructing them to close it, then they won't do anything until or unless that happens, and why should they?
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 13th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 4,551 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    Why do you expect them to be responsible for this? If they've said to you that the Ts & Cs of the account necessitate both of you instructing them to close it, then they won't do anything until or unless that happens, and why should they?
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    They can always close the account - with two months notice at their sole discretion. This should be easier since it has no borrowing or funds.

You could lodge a formal complaint and ask them to either close it or remove you from the account.
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 13th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Sparx
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    If there is no balance (£0) or debt, then ask them to just remove you? Then it becomes a sole account in her name only... (rather than 'close it')

If they refuse for any reason, then log a complaint as there is no reason to refuse this on the basis there is no debt or balance to argue about.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

1,579Users online

Martin's Twitter