Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 9th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Graffiti in Bank
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    Graffiti in Bank 9th Mar 18 at 5:52 PM
    Some context to this issue but some months ago a customer within a Halifax branch spotted some racist graffiti in a bank and made a big deal of it, demanding compensation etc, I later found out this graffiti had anti Semitic connotations.

Some months later in the same branch I spotted some anti Semitic graffiti so I had a quiet word with a staff member. I returned to the branch some days later, noticed nothing had been done so I sent an email into Halifax.

I received a call from Halifax some days later demanding to know exactly where the graffiti was to which I advised. Later the same day a staff member called me back to advise that the graffiti was removed but my complaint was not being upheld as nobody remembers talking to me and the area where the graffiti was is checked daily. I advised that I was unhappy with how Halifax had dealt with this.

Is this normal from the bank?
    Last edited by Outsider_83; 26-03-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Page 2
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 10th Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    I believe my "complaint" was not upheld as talking to the bank nobody remembered me mentioning it. It was a little point scoring from Halifax and a but unnecessary.
    • KJSmith
    • By KJSmith 10th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    KJSmith
    What email address did you send you feedback to?
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 11th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    I believe my "complaint" was not upheld as talking to the bank nobody remembered me mentioning it. It was a little point scoring from Halifax and a but unnecessary.
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    That really shouldn't matter; a complaint can be submitted in a variety of ways, not just face to face. The email recipient should have counted that message as the first point of contact and proceeded from there. The response you got was undoubtedly unprofessional. Whether you think it's worth following up with a complaint about that, or if you'll just remember it next time Halifax asks you to buy a service or product, is up to you.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 11th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    tenchy
    What precisely did the graffiti say? Just curious. I'm not saying it's the case here, but these days people are offended by the slightest thing.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 12th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Cotta
    To be fair you did not make the above point explicit and my original answer no longer stands. I think the investigating officer should perhaps be questioned.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 12th Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    They sent out a letter from lovely letter today advising my complaint was not upheld.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 13th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Cotta
    Case closed then.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 26th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 4,354 Posts
    • 14,910 Thanks
    Westie983
    I have moved this to your existing thread you have created, as it is the same topic.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (£25,000)+£10,000/£12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £40/£500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total £62.59/£365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £900/£1,000 = 90.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1,500)+-480/£2,000 = 51.00%

Total £12,022.59/£15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 26th Mar 18, 10:31 PM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    They've sent you a letter stating they're closing your account off the back of this?

Were you demanding compensation as well?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 26th Mar 18, 10:40 PM
    • 6,124 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Take it to the media, they absolutely love this sort of thing.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 26th Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    From your other posts you have banks elsewhere.

So just transfer everything out to one of those instead
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 26th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 4,942 Thanks
    mgdavid
    the bank has decided it no longer wants you as a customer, and they have every right to so do.
    If by taking up a lot of staff time in investigating reported issues they deem you are not a profitable customer one can hardly blame them.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 27th Mar 18, 2:18 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Perhaps the bank wants you to draw a co#k and ba#ls next to the graffiti. Best one bags (teabags?) 20 quid. How's that?

Btw, drawing c &b is a national pastime. Rachel riley did it on 8 out of ten cats does countdown.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 27th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    mollycat
    Some context to this issue but some months ago a customer within a Halifax branch spotted some racist graffiti in a bank and made a big deal of it, demanding compensation etc, I later found out this graffiti had anti Semitic connotations.

Some months later in the same branch I spotted some anti Semitic graffiti so I had a quiet word with a staff member. I returned to the branch some days later, noticed nothing had been done so I sent an email into Halifax.

I received a call from Halifax some days later demanding to know exactly where the graffiti was to which I advised. Later the same day a staff member called me back to advise that the graffiti was removed but my complaint was not being upheld as nobody remembers talking to me and the area where the graffiti was is checked daily. I advised that I was unhappy with how Halifax had dealt with this. Today they responded to advise they were still not upholding my findings and that I seem to have very high standards that they cannot match, therefore it would be better if I sought a different bank as my account would be terminated within 60 days. They also gave me the right to refer to the Ombudsman but I don't see what good this would do.

I know many will say I shouldn't have got involved but I feel Halifax have went over the top, does anyone else think Halifax were a little extreme?
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    No, not at all, think that they've got it spot on. Well done Halifax.

They removed the graffiti, you told them you were not happy with how they had dealt with it?

What did you wan't exactly?
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 27th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Cotta
    Surely Halifax cannot do this in these circumstances.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 27th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 8,836 Posts
    • 25,311 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    Surely Halifax cannot do this in these circumstances.
    Originally posted by Cotta
    Unfortunately they can, as the terms allow it.

It's meant to be a policy to deal with persistent complainers, however I dealt with something a few years back for a vulnerable local person where a complaint had been made within the same group, upheld and the same 'we are closing your accounts' letter. This was the second complaint that the customer had made if memory serves me right (which was some time before and also upheld).

If they don't want OP's business, that's their choice.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • KJSmith
    • By KJSmith 27th Mar 18, 6:01 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    KJSmith
    Maybe the complaints handler genuinely thought you were submitting a fictitious complaint in order to receive compensation.

Also, what was your tone with the complaint manager?
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 27th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    I do wonder what else the OP has complained about.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 28th Mar 18, 1:32 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Well done Op. You had every right to complain. HAlifax cannot single you out for complaining.

YOU can complain to ombudsmen or take them to court if they close your account arbitrarily (based on the graffiti complain). They are not running a corner shop.I.E. They cannot have unscrupulous rules like 'only two schoolchildren at a time'
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 28th Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    BooJewels
    Without knowing if there is more to this than has been posted, really leading to the closing of the account, it does seem a heavy handed response to a single, perfectly understandable, complaint.

But that aside, I wondered if there was CCTV covering the area of the graffiti - that would perhaps not only show how long it had been there, but maybe also who created it and when - but that would take time to review all those hours of footage, even if they were inclined.

If they had bothered to investigate this matter at all, surely at the very least they would have given the area a cursory viewing on some of the days in question, but also reviewed the counter footage on the day you say that you made the initial complaint - your body language would probably make it obvious you were talking about the graffiti - you'd perhaps be turning towards the offending pen work and maybe pointing etc. and the staff member would look over to the location too. It would look very different from just paying something in.

So had they been minded to look into it, surely the course of events and timeline could very easily be verified.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

1,579Users online

Martin's Twitter