Trevor McDonald - Video Game Violence

Options
My 11 ½ year old son and I sat down to watch the Trevor McDonald programme about violence on video games.

I must admit, my son does watch dvds of 16 and 18 certificates (I usually do a quick review of what he wants to watch before he watches it). In the past he has played GTA Vice City (one of his and his friends’ favourites), which I wasn’t overly happy about, but relented after hearing about how many children his age play it.

He’s getting peer pressure at school to get the new GTA San Andreas game, but after seeing last night’s programme and also hearing from a colleague about the amount of swearing in the new game compared to the old one, I certainly don’t want him to play it! Of course, I’ll be the worst mother ever, because ‘everybody’ in the class is getting it/playing it!

The question now is – is it right for me to start restricting what he plays games-wise after letting him play GTA Vice City? I’m sure there are other parents out there facing the same problem. Have you been swayed by last night’s programme?

Also, how do you tackle your child going to other children's houses when you know they have a copy of the game you don't want your child to play? ???

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sorry i can't help, but i am having similar prob with 13yr old. i don't let him have the more violent games, but his mates have them, so its what do i do, cos i can't banhim from seeing his friends. is a real dilemma.
  • sheenagh_2
    Options
    I've got young (2 + 7) girls so haven't had to get into this yet but wow it is a thorny issue. My oldest's school has a policy on these games (and TV watching) and as she loves it there I use this to help me. I know it is a temporary solution.

I do think it is great that you sat down with your child to watch the programme. I guess for me it is important to know what he as an individual understands and gets from the games. If he knows why you do not want him to play them that might help. My partner would say get him into sport, but we don't all have the opportunities to do this. Cripes it seems a really difficult problem with no easy answers.

Any way good luck.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I tell my 2 11yrs and 12yrs what they can and cannot watch or play, I am the parent and at that age they have to abide by my rules and they seem happy to, they watched the programme last night with us and then we discussed it further.
    If they are at a friends and games with a 15 or 18 cert. are brought out they ring to ask advice or they leave, in most cases their friends respect my rules and would put the game away until my children are not there.

I would rather be seen as the worst parent in the world than run the risk that these games could damage my children or influence them to do wrong in any way.
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tell my 2 11yrs and 12yrs what they can and cannot watch or play, I am the parent and at that age they have to abide by my rules and they seem happy to, they watched the programme last night with us and then we discussed it further.
    If they are at a friends and games with a 15 or 18 cert.  are brought out they ring to ask advice or they leave, in most cases their friends respect my rules and would put the game away until my children are not there.

I would rather be seen as the worst parent in the world than run the risk that these games could damage my children or influence them to do wrong in any way.

wow glad, you seem to have it sorted. going to try and lay down rules with son, and let you know how i get on.
  • Glad
    Options
    I always try to back up my rules with explanation, I've shown them the stories concerning children commiting crimes related to violent video games, and I also encourage them to respect regulations-if a game has an 18 cert. It is there for a reason,
    but we also judge things individually, there are some films that I have allowed them to watch which have a higher age cert but which I feel my kids could watch, after we've seen it and usually with us, eg. Gladiator-I can justify the violence in this because it directly relates to how life was at that time so we viewed it as a Historical film.
    I'm also pretty easy going about the odd alcoholic drink at special occasions (usually shandy or wine with soda)
    and our house is the one where all the local freinds gather, they have a den with PC, TV and PS2 to play in (one of my other no no's is TV's in bedrooms), and I usually end up the one throwing the Halloween party for 20,
    but it is easy to justify my rules by saying "I'm not a strict or regimental parent, if I say NO it is for a good reason, and you don't get to go without much"

Other interests do help, daughter rides and plays hockey,
    son plays, football, cricket, rugby, hockey, piano and attends drama (he's a nightmare to runaround ;))
    weekends are still mainly spent riding bikes through the woods and building dens by the river,
    although I appreciate that these options are not open to everyone,
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks glad, that really helps. :-*
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The characters in this game have sex with prostitutes in cars (who are apparently very vocal and energetic about it) and in the previous one (don't know about this) you can own strip clubs and get 'private lapdances'.

Of course, if you ban kids from playing these games and they go round and play them at a friend's house and they get disturbed by what they see, they are probably less likely to come and talk to you about it.

I don't know how you can win. All I know is when I really think about it (as opposed to just letting my brain skim over the top of the subject), it makes me want to really cry that people get enjoyment out of playing these games.
  • scotnan
    scotnan Posts: 636 Forumite
    Options
    It's comforting to know that it's not just me who is 'unfair' then ::)

Have had the same discussion today and according to my child ' absolutely everyone' has this GTA San Andreas game so why am I saying "No".

I too use my own judgement on age ratings on dvd's PS2 games etc and only the other day banned a CD, that was bought with pocket money, due to the amount of swearing it contained.

I know of a 6 year old who was allowed to play the original GTA and was horrified when I found out the content.
    I have worked with children under 12 for years now and have noticed that the majority of children who are violent in the playground are those who are allowed to watch/play DVD's and PS2 games that I know have an 18+ rating. Some of them are acting out scenes they have viewed on these films/games.

(Incidentally, these are the same children who are continuously late for school, arrive without having had any breakfast and have poor attention span for the rest of the day
    I did not see the programme but have witnessed first hand what these films/games do to young childrens' minds :(  and it's not pleasant.

I will not give in to this and if my child who is the only one on this planet who has not got this game, then so be it!
    And yes, I have warned my friends who have older children that I do not wish myine to play these sort of games when they are round at their houses.
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If I could get away with banning my 29 year old friend from playing that game I would. Makes me sick, and the idea of a six year old seeing all that... doesn't bear thinking about.
  • Glad
    Options
    scotnan

you can now tell him that he is NOT the only one, you have an online friend who bans her children from playing them, and according to my kids most kids saying they have them often don't but are too scared to stand up and say so
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure