Tesco Self Scan

Comments

• stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    I've used self checkout when I have a few items but I don't think I'd entertain the idea of scanning 50+ items on the self checkout. More items, more potential for "errors" or "anomalies" from the store's point of view.

I also don't see how using the self checkout helps to keep track of spending, unless you are planning to put stuff back at the checkout?
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Shop in Tesco sometimes.

Never use the self scan as a matter of principle.

They will get the shoppers stacking the shelves next.

Use the till where there is actually people there, relying on usage to keep them in employment.

Tescos etc, use self scan to cut back in employing people, wages, sick leave, maternity leave etc and no pensions to pay.

Just get some silly shoppers to do all the work.:rotfl:
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2019 at 8:48AM

Hint: Lidl is cheaper, they don't have self scan but the checkout is quick and easy . .
    In my nearest Lidl if any queue drops below 5 shoppers they close a till. It is never quick and easy. I've stopped shopping there because of this.

A few weeks ago I used a Morrisons self checkout. I had to walk to customer services to find someone to tell the till I was old enough to buy beer. In this Morrisons most of the staff seem to think their job is gossiping amongst themselves with occasional interruption from customers.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Peter999 wrote: »
    Just been to Tesco for a shop, I always use self scan as it is so much quicker and easier to keep a check on how much you are spending.

When I got to the till it's usually so quick, scan the scanner to the till, pay with credit card, get receipt then walk out. Sometimes I'm selected for a random check of 5 items which I'm happy with as it's quick. - just to be clear there is nothing in law which says you must agree to such a thing.

Not tonight, we bought in all over 55 items including heavy things like cans of pop etc. I was selected for a random check. The chap came over and said oh yes, it's a new check where every 5 times you are in Tesco you would be selected for a check - thought this was odd he'd mention it as it's been the case for years. - that's nonsense (and potentially harassment)

He took me over to the end of the self scan area which I thought was odd, and then proceeded to re-scan absolutely everything, not just 5 things. As you can imagine this meant taking out all the carefully packed bags and then he attempted to re-pack them (he was pretty useless at this to be honest, no real clue of how to pack). There was no designated area for this to be done and it very cramped. This took another 12 minutes to do, and all the while we were stared at by other shoppers who presumably thought we were shoplifters who had being caught.

Really annoyed at the moment, I'm doing Tescos job by scanning and then they humiliate me in front of other shoppers and re-do what I've already done.

So next time refuse
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    stripeyfox wrote: »
    I've used self checkout when I have a few items but I don't think I'd entertain the idea of scanning 50+ items on the self checkout. More items, more potential for "errors" or "anomalies" from the store's point of view.

I also don't see how using the self checkout helps to keep track of spending, unless you are planning to put stuff back at the checkout?

I like to have a running total of what I've spent while I'm walking round.

My Tesco also has an annoying habit of the deals not working correctly. i.e. if you get a meal deal for £3 quite often some of the crisps say on the shelf they are part of the deal but they don't register properly. With the self scan you can see straight away if it correctly registers.
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 985 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    So next time refuse

There won't be a next time, I won't use it again.

I would have just walked out and left the stuff there but my wife needed the stuff and it wasn't fair on her.
    She was fuming when he tried to re-pack the shopping, she had to stop him and re-pack it herself (the bags would have broken if we hadn't).
  • Comms69
    Peter999 wrote: »
    There won't be a next time, I won't use it again.

I would have just walked out and left the stuff there - why, you'd paid for it at that point hadn't you? but my wife needed the stuff and it wasn't fair on her.
    She was fuming when he tried to re-pack the shopping, she had to stop him and re-pack it herself (the bags would have broken if we hadn't).

This is your property, you aren't obliged to leave it
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    stripeyfox wrote: »

This thread is about self scan - where you scan and pack as you shop and all you do at the checkout is pay. A total rescan therefore means unpacking everything, scanning it all again and then repacking it all. The scanner keeps a running total as you do your shop. Totally different to self checkout.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    This is your property, you aren't obliged to leave it

It's not their property though as at this point it hasn't been paid for.

As above the OP is referring to scan (and pack) as you shop where there are, understandably, random checks before payment is made.

I really don't see what the problem is. If you use scan as you shop you will have a full check done at some point. If you d'ont want that don't use it.
  • Comms69
    BoGoF wrote: »
    It's not their property though as at this point it hasn't been paid for.

As above the OP is referring to scan (and pack) as you shop where there are, understandably, random checks before payment is made.

I really don't see what the problem is. If you use scan as you shop you will have a full check done at some point. If you d'ont want that don't use it.

Right, my apologies the way the OP wrote it was the check was done after payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure