Child Benefit Help

First post so dont crucify me lol.

Anyway, im a single father of 1 child, hes 4 years old. I take him to school and pick him up everyday, i take him to after school activites twice a week and pay for it, and he sleeps at my house between 4-6 nights a week.

His doctors, dentist and school are all registered at my address. We dont have an agreement or 'set days' because of her job, she works days or nights and can be any day of the week, she just gives me on average 5 days i was to have my son.

So heres the problem, weve been split up for about 18 months, and she keeps the child benefit ect. This has been going on since the start, and literally if i wasnt disabled (i have PTSD) i doubt id have money to put clothes on his back cause i cant work having him full time. So she keeps his benefit and doesnt voluntarily offer a weekly or monthly amount out of her own money to support him. If this was the other way round and it was the father not paying for his child and kept the benefit, leaving the mum to struggle im sure it would be sorted alot easier.

Anyway ive spoken to someone and then said that to contest the benefit or the custody, i need to keep a record of contact proving i have him.as much as i say i do. They said this NEEDS to be 6 months - 12 months of evidence. I started the beginning of the year and have almost 3 months of evidence, along with multiple letters from school (to prove i deal with that) and reciepts to prove i provide for him (food, clothes, toys, activites ect)

Am i missing anything or could go about this a better way? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Psychotic wrote: »
    First post so dont crucify me lol.

Anyway, im a single father of 1 child, hes 4 years old. I take him to school and pick him up everyday, i take him to after school activites twice a week and pay for it, and he sleeps at my house between 4-6 nights a week.

His doctors, dentist and school are all registered at my address. We dont have an agreement or 'set days' because of her job, she works days or nights and can be any day of the week, she just gives me on average 5 days i was to have my son.

So heres the problem, weve been split up for about 18 months, and she keeps the child benefit ect. This has been going on since the start, and literally if i wasnt disabled (i have PTSD) i doubt id have money to put clothes on his back cause i cant work having him full time. So she keeps his benefit and doesnt voluntarily offer a weekly or monthly amount out of her own money to support him. If this was the other way round and it was the father not paying for his child and kept the benefit, leaving the mum to struggle im sure it would be sorted alot easier.

Anyway ive spoken to someone and then said that to contest the benefit or the custody, i need to keep a record of contact proving i have him.as much as i say i do. They said this NEEDS to be 6 months - 12 months of evidence. I started the beginning of the year and have almost 3 months of evidence, along with multiple letters from school (to prove i deal with that) and reciepts to prove i provide for him (food, clothes, toys, activites ect)

Am i missing anything or could go about this a better way? Thanks for any help.

Is there an official order in place?

If not then just make a claim for child benefit.
  • What do you mean order? Im guessing not.

I wouldve but i was told i need evidence before hand so thats what ive been trying to get? Say it did get accepted whats to stop her saying right ill raise him you work and just switching it back over?

Thanks
  • dino333
    dino333 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Psychotic wrote: »
    What do you mean order? Im guessing not.

I wouldve but i was told i need evidence before hand so thats what ive been trying to get? Say it did get accepted whats to stop her saying right ill raise him you work and just switching it back over?

Thanks

The family court system favours women.

If you want to collect child benefit, and haven't consent from other party. I think evidencing first is a sensible pragmatic approach.

Without evidence, your word versus hers, the courts are likely to favour the mother. And she could try to make life difficult for you too.

I think you should evidence that you're the primary carer, or she can likely successfully contest your claim.
  • That was my worry, shes the mum so she has an advantage already which is ridiculous, because she has her son like 2 nights a week after school.

That is why ive taken the evidence approach, but im confused to what would actually count as valid evidence when it comes down to it?

At the moment ive started to keep a sort of weekly timetable to show when hes with me, and take a dated photo to prove it, is that good enough? Also been keeping school letters and reciepts to prove i deal with the school side of things and i provide all his clothes, toys ect. I pay for his martial arts, and i also pay money into a savings account in my sons name every month.

I also have texts of things like me telling her when his school concert was and to book it off and her replying she'll be there, and then when it comes to the day cant make it and blames me for not telling her, although i can prove i have.

Thanks for any help
  • In my opinion its just crazy, if a father wasnt paying for there child through child maintenance, there classed as scum and rightly so, they wouldnt have a leg to stand on. But she doesnt pay child maintenance (im not even asking for that) but she keeps the child beneifit for herself ontop.
  • Danipat
    Danipat Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Im sorry, youre mad. I'd be asking for the child benefit and maintenance. If I was a single mum I would make sure my husband was paying towards our son because he should be! So should your ex. Hope you can get it sorted.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    The family court system favours women.

The system favours what is best for the child after taking all the evidence presented.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    WhenIam64 wrote: »
    The system favours what is best for the child after taking all the evidence presented.

Whilst that is the principle, the reality is very different.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    If you are a non resident parent please respond to this Social Security Advisory Commitee call for evidence /consultation

There is a VERY rare focus on non resident parents as there is very little data available data on them and their needs and this would include the needs of their children when with them.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/social-security-and-separated-parents/call-for-evidence-on-social-security-and-separated-parents#fnref:1
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Whilst that is the principle, the reality is very different.

Amen. The reality is VERY different
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport