PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stocking up for Brexit

Options

Comments

• family4tunes
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    I guess that now is the time to do some extra shopping in case of disruption at the end of the month. We're not panicking, but we've stocked up with long life goods that we'd buy anyway, just a bit more than usual. I'd be interested to hear what other people have done/are intending?

Seriously, are you that insecure you have to hoard. The end of the world is not neigh if we leave the EU. We will not become a country where there will be food lines and ration books. If we do fall low on foodstuffs or anything else, it will be because of hoarders and preppers like yourself limiting the goods others can buy!

Do the decent thing and give what you have already hoarded to a food bank for those in dire need of help, and do your weekly shop as normal like most people do.
  • family4tunes
    Options
    I am doing absolutely nothing.........

Kudos 2 U

Well done matey, wish the majority of people on this thread had the same logic as you. They all seem very insecure and selfish.

Have a beer on me :beer:
  • family4tunes
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Rightly or wrongly I've done no prepping whatsoever. Only time will tell what the correct course of action was, in hindsight.

It could be the end of civilization as we know it...or not!!!

Kudos 2 U

Well done matey, wish the majority of people on this thread had the same logic as you. They all seem very insecure and selfish.

Have a beer on me
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 March 2019 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Seriously, are you that insecure you have to hoard. The end of the world is not neigh if we leave the EU. We will not become a country where there will be food lines and ration books. If we do fall low on foodstuffs or anything else, it will be because of hoarders and preppers like yourself limiting the goods others can buy!

Do the decent thing and give what you have already hoarded to a food bank for those in dire need of help, and do your weekly shop as normal like most people do.

I'm not limiting the goods others can buy, as I've bought far enough ahead that stocks in the stores can be replenished. I'm afraid that I'm not as optimistic as you that Brexit won't continue to be an utter fiasco. If I'm right, putting a bit aside in advance is helping those who haven't. It's not selfish to be self reliant, you know. If the panic starts, we won't be adding to it, whereas you will.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hate shopping, and bulk buy as a matter of course. Grocery prices only tend to go one way, and often at a rate greater than any rises in income I get, so I've always considered it a good investment.

The few things I can't buy in bulk due to shelf life or storage capacity, I'll be getting a couple of extras in the next week or two, simply so that I can avoid shopping altogether for a couple of weeks if it looks too mad out there.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    There is already an 82 page thread on this subject!!!!
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Horses neigh & the end of the world is nigh...............
    :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the end of the world is nigh...............
    :rotfl::rotfl:

Quite possibly.........
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Be funnier if it was neigh....the horsemen of the apocalypse and all...
    unfortunately, it was probably autocorrect, which has a lot to answer for usually in any of my texts...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If we do fall low on foodstuffs or anything else, it will be because of hoarders and preppers like yourself limiting the goods others can buy!

That's not logical. As the supermarkets stock as soon as it's off the shelves anyone hoarding or prepping now would be in no way responsible for shortages. Lack of imports would.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure