Anyone else had issues with online deliveries?

We decided recently to try online deliveries for the main reason we're sick of traipsing 3-4 different supermarkets at the weekend to get what we want. We usually go to Iceland, Lidl and Tesco express, as I say we can't get everything we want in just one supermarket.

So we started out with Asda, several problems here. 1 item was missing, several items substituted and several items short dated, like I got 2 500g pots of greek yoghurt for £3, one was already out of date the previous day and the other was that days date. And as for the fruit they seemed to ship out the stuff people didn't want in store, the apples and bananas bruised and dented.

So sod that, that put us off Asda. We then tried Sainsburys which arrived on Friday.

No items missing but had several issues with substitutions, unlike Asda if they substitute an item they charge you the same price of less for a substitute Sainsburys don't, so we had Walkers Wotsits for example 12 pack £2 on offer, they didn;t have them so sent 2 x 6 packs coming to £3.40, or Sainsburys basic frozen veg 90p, they sent chunky Mediterranean veg at £2, needless to say we sent all back with the driver. But same old story with short dates, Pork Sausages dated that day, The loaf of bread was out of date the following day.

All in all a bit of a disaster really, are these common issues?

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    n1guy wrote: »
    1 item was missing, several items substituted and several items short dated, like I got 2 500g pots of greek yoghurt for £3, one was already out of date the previous day and the other was that days date. And as for the fruit they seemed to ship out the stuff people didn't want in store, the apples and bananas bruised and dented.

No items missing but had several issues with substitutions, unlike Asda if they substitute an item they charge you the same price of less for a substitute Sainsburys don't, so we had Walkers Wotsits for example 12 pack £2 on offer, they didn;t have them so sent 2 x 6 packs coming to £3.40, or Sainsburys basic frozen veg 90p, they sent chunky Mediterranean veg at £2, needless to say we sent all back with the driver. But same old story with short dates, Pork Sausages dated that day, The loaf of bread was out of date the following day.

All in all a bit of a disaster really, are these common issues?

Did you log into your Asda account and get a refund for short dated items and bruised fruit?

I rarely have problems and quite often Asda's subs are generally in my favour

Sainsburys as you say, is a pain as they dont price match Subs so I avoid them.

Tesco price match subs and I generally dont have problems although I am not really keen on their meat so use them rarely.

Ocado, never had a problem and you get 5p back for every carrier bag you give them.

Waitrose, again never had any problems and I love it when some of your Pick your own offers are on offer which is a double saving! .
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    They can be common issues, yes.

Tesco price match substitutes and if you email about any short dates (not listed on the invoice) they will generally refund.

Poor fresh produce is not something i've had happen in years and years of ordering with Tesco. Were they visibly bruised and dented without removing packaging?
  • JamesCR
    JamesCR Posts: 50 Forumite
    Asda are really hit and miss in my experience. They always have 1-2 things they don't bring and 4-5 subs.

Sometimes they'll send really good subs and other times you wonder who they're employing to do the shopping.

Bad sub highlights include:

Extra Special vanilla and passionfruit ice cream (?!?) in place of (much lower calorie) chocolate frozen yoghurt

Two travel size deodorants of a different brand to the standard sized ones I ordered and the the crown jewel...

Two cans of Gillette shaving gel in place of the gel sport shoe insoles I ordered...
  • SaLoGo
    SaLoGo Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Only ever used Tesco and Ocado, both are excellent services. Tesco rarely sub my shopping and when they do they are good subs and I am not charged any more for them. Last week the driver saw my son drop 2x 4pt milk on the floor as he was taking the shopping through to the kitchen and refunded them for us even though it was my sons fault! Never had a complaint about Tesco
    :beer: Been smoke free for 4 years!! :beer:
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    I have used online food shopping for a few years now, and tried them all. I find Tesco are the best ones, and rarely get any subs, only the odd items and it's usually ok. I like Sainsburys too but do find them a bit more expensive. I don't use Asda as find they give loads of subs with most orders.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I had similar issues with substitutions even with Tesco price matching
    For example hula hoop crisps six packs £1.50 each or 2 for £2 (or something similar). I order 1 six pack salted and one pack beef. They substitute the six pack salted with a 10 pack salted as out of stock and price match the 10 pack to the 6 pack price. But that means the offer doesn't work so instead of paying £2 for two packs, I pay £3 (£1.50 for the 10 pack plain and £1.50 for the 6 pack beef). Yes its not a big difference, (should have got 12 packs for £2 but ended up with 16 for £3) but it was the principal of the non-working offers.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    JamesCR wrote: »
    Two cans of Gillette shaving gel in place of the gel sport shoe insoles I ordered...

Old thread of odd substitutions - e.g. Twix for Tampax.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1322337
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP were the short date items in a blue bag or whatever colour is used ?
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Asda allows you to check your order online a couple of hours before so plenty of time to check subs and then refuse them at the door apart from one order with 12vs 15 eggs I find they re quite good. The range of value products is great.
  • I've been ordering online with Tesco for over a decade now. I have a delivery saver subscription. I find them generally excellent, to be honest, and I am genuinely baffled as to why so many people still do the majority of their shopping in-store.

I do sometimes get substitutes, although surprisingly rarely, and they're price-matched. If the sub means that I then miss out on an offer (a problem that I haven't had for a while so I wonder if it's been fixed) I just phone up and they give me a fair refund. Same for any instance of sub-par produce although, again, that's very rare these days. If anything is a bit dodgy when I unpack it (like squashed bread or something with a drippy lid - again, hardly ever happens) the driver will usually refund me there and then without me even asking and leave me the item.

Shopping online means that I can keep a much closer eye on how much I am spending, and having delivery saver gives me other perks like early access to Christmas slots. A couple of years ago my local Tesco made some kind of balls up on my bill and later that evening I had a knock on the door from a member of staff with a bunch of flowers, a box of chocolates and a written apology. Then a few weeks ago my order was one of the ones flagged up to be given a free little box of food (beef mince, peppers, cheese and pasta sauce).

I'm really pleased with online shopping. Very happy with the service.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback