Free or cheeap careers advice

Hi, I'm a 32 year old single bloke, I've been to university but my highest level of qualification is A-level - and at that, I have no qualifications which I have received within the last five years.

My employment history has been a bit sporadic - but I've recently learnt something about myself. I've discovered that the fear of ending up poor is unable to motivate me to get a job, stick with a job, get a promotion, or stick with a college course! Sounds kinda obvious .... heh. But the only thing that can really motivate me is enthusiasm.

With that in mind - I'd like to get a bit of careers advice. What should I study? How should I pay for it? I want to talk things over with people.

I'm currently not in work, I lost my previous job whilst I was off sick, and am still getting sick notes from the doctor. I've made a claim for income support but it has been temporarily disallowed due to the payoff I received from my last employer - it will start becoming payable within the next month. I'm in a rented one bedroom flat and receive housing benefit, and my cahoot flexible loan balance is roughly £5000-ish.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
:p

Comments

• serena
    serena Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    There should be an Adult Careers advisory service in your area. Try googling it.The service should be free.

The motivation will have to come from you though...
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm sure a book called "What colour is your parachute?" has been mentioned in similar previous posts. Worth getting a copy of that?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to post again in the next week or two to say how I'm getting on with them.
    :p
  • Red_Elle
    Red_Elle Posts: 476 Forumite
    Write a list down of everything you enjoy doing and then go through each thing brainstorming an idea to make money out of them.

e.g.
    Writing (send short stories into magazines/newspapers, build up portfolio of published articles until you can get regular work)
    Painting (produce canvasses for friends to try to get recommendations, contact local art galleries to see if they take on new artists, set up an Ebay shop)
    Animals (look into pet sitting, setting up a pet sitting franchis, dog walking)

etc etc
  • KizzyK_2
    KizzyK_2 Posts: 993 Forumite
    Pop in your your local college, most run an adult careers centre :)
    :j Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport