British Gas Servicing Reminder - Scam or not?

Today I received a phone call from 03332029500 and after a long pause, the caller said they were calling from British Gas to arrange a service for our boiler (we pay for Homecare 400). This guy spoke very quickly and not at all clearly and I had to keep asking to repeat himself. He asked for our postcode and when I said that B.G. should already know that, he said that it was a new procedure. He also tried to get us to pay extra to have other gas equipment (such as hob and fire) serviced. I told him that I thought that he wasn't from B.G. but he was quite persistent in trying to sell us extra servicing and to buy a remote heating control that can be controlled from a mobile phone. I've never had such an unwelcome sales pitch from British Gas in the past and it leads me to believe that he isn't genuine. The main thing that makes me suspicious is that our boiler isn't due for a service for another 3 months. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• GREYONE
    GREYONE Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Text in the above post suggests that the number is real.

I had a call from 03332029500 yesterday. He seemed polite but talked very quickly. They have this fake polite script and when he asked me if I was well I said no and he said he's call back next week.

He wanted to arrange out annual boiler service which IS due about now. But I'm not sure what BG is up to. Sometimes when I arrange mt boiler service by phone they sometimes call up and ask if they can come sooner as they are in the area. So if I'm in I say yes. I always like to book my service online so i can pick a time slot of my choosing. But I went online and it said it was not time for my boiler to be serviced yet. I think these guys are real but they are just drumming up business because of all the competition.
    their website is very stupid because when you try to log in it offers to send you a link and if you do not have a smart meter they ask for your meter reading a month early then ask you to may your bill early. Why , probably just to get your money as early as possible.
    All of this may look like a scam but I just think BG is getting very nervous because of all the competition.
    At the end of the day the best way is to check the number with BG and here. I've got their number in my mobile know so I can ignore it when they call back next week.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We had BG servicing for nearly 20 years. In the early days, we had to contact them to book the service. However, in the later years, they would email and ask us to book and if we hadn't by a certain time they would ring and arrange the appointment.

It is not a scam but it is a way to protect BG backsides. You are paying for breakdown cover and servicing. By being proactive on the servicing, they avoid potential legal action (or regulatory action) for failing to deliver on their service contract. (i.e. allegations of " I paid £X for y years and never saw anyone from BG")
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The obvious way to check would seem to be to contact BG from the details on your contract, and ask them directly.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, it's that time of year

Repair volumes dropping , infill with service ( and upselling) work.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family