Retaining fibre connection when switching broadband

Options
Hi,

I've done some searching on Google and can't see an answer to this question so I'm hoping someone here may be able to clarify for me - If I have a fibre broadband connection with my current supplier (BT) is it guaranteed if I switch provider that I will be also put on a fibre broadband connection? Is it a migration of my existing connection? Or a closure of the existing connection and a new connection with the new supplier?.

It might seem an odd question but I live in a fairly new estate and when I moved in there was no fibre, but around 6 months after moving in Openreach extended the cabinet and I was able to upgrade. However, I believe there are still people in the estate that aren't able to get fibre due to cabinet capacity issues and my worry is that if I choose to switch to a new supplier I may be at risk of losing the fibre connection during the switch. I'm with BT at the moment and we've really not had a great experience but I'd rather have stay and have fibre than move at risk of going back to sub-1mbps ADSL.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are just moving providers you will keep your fibre.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes if you buy a fibre product .No if you buy ADSL .

<Is it a migration of my existing connection?.
    No you buy a new product though it will come over the same wires supplied and serviced by OpenReach the same as your current service .

Yes you could be at risk if the local cabinet is full .
  • Dim_jim
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dim_jim wrote: »
    Hi,

I've done some searching on Google and can't see an answer to this question so I'm hoping someone here may be able to clarify for me - If I have a fibre broadband connection with my current supplier (BT) is it guaranteed if I switch provider that I will be also put on a fibre broadband connection? Is it a migration of my existing connection? Or a closure of the existing connection and a new connection with the new supplier?.

It might seem an odd question but I live in a fairly new estate and when I moved in there was no fibre, but around 6 months after moving in Openreach extended the cabinet and I was able to upgrade. However, I believe there are still people in the estate that aren't able to get fibre due to cabinet capacity issues and my worry is that if I choose to switch to a new supplier I may be at risk of losing the fibre connection during the switch. I'm with BT at the moment and we've really not had a great experience but I'd rather have stay and have fibre than move at risk of going back to sub-1mbps ADSL.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

AFIAK, if you move provider ( but you are keeping FTTC, just supplied by the new ISP) then you do get a different port in the FTTC cab , so if the cab in question is 'waiting list' then you could end up with the new provider not able to supply FTTC until a port becomes available, and the 'port' you relinquished, gives to someone already on that waiting list....you should be able to check , or ask the new ISP if the cab is waiting list or not...happy to be corrected if this isn't the process
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure