0845 / 0870 No Longer Inclusive with SKY

I've just discovered that, as of 1st May 2019, 0845 and 0870 numbers, previously inclusive in Sky phone packages, will be chargeable at 15 pence per minute access charge plus service provider charge.

Putting it in perspective, the current £8 per month anytime calls with Sky, which currently includes 0845 and 0870 up to 60 minutes per call will not cover these numbers any longer. Half a dozen 30 minute calls to either 0845 or 0870 per month, at an average service charge of 35p per min, would cost phone users an additional:

6 calls x 30 mins x (0.15 + 0.35) pence = £90.

Your phone bill for a month, in the above example, would rise from £8 to £98! Actually, it will rise to £100 as the monthly charge is also being hiked from £8 to £10.

Most people will not have read the small print, I know I never do, so if you do make the odd call to 0845 and/ or 0870 numbers you will be in for a nasty shock when your bill arrives.

I've searched online and on this forum but have found no mention of this situation anywhere else at all.

Hopefully, if you see this post, you have time to do something about it!

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Given that 0845 calls can also include a service charge payable to the recipient of the call it is more of a surprise that any network includes them in their tariff. Since number reform they have been a source of fraud.
  • I don't think I've seen anyone even use an 0845 or 0870 number for at least the last year. And even if I did, I still wouldn't use it. They're for companies living in the last century.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes, there shouldn't be any need to be using these numbers any more. Any reputable companies have already switched to 03 numbers instead.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ivormonee wrote: »
    I've searched online and on this forum but have found no mention of this situation anywhere else at all.
    I'm not surprised, it's not the "situation" you describe.
    No one's bill is increasing from £8 to £98 at all!
    Such premium rate numbers were long ago discontinued in all but the most exceptional of cases.

What companies are you calling which still use these numbers? ;)
    ivormonee wrote: »
    you have time to do something about it
    Yeah, simply don't use any number with these prefixes!;)

Thanks to Ian011 for this earlier post;
    Ian011 wrote: »
    Usage of premium rate numbers starting 084, 087 or 09 for after-sales enquiries and issues for retailers, traders and passenger transport companies has been illegal since 13 June 2014. Usage by banks, card companies and insurers for contact by existing customers has been illegal since 26 October 2015. Usage by government departments, their agencies and contractors has not been permitted since 26 December 2013. As such there should be almost no need to ever call these numbers.

Beware when searching online that there are thousands of websites promoting fake premium rate numbers purported to be the numbers for contacting a very large number of busineses and organisations. Do not call these numbers. Search official websites for the correct numbers.

This is therefore a non-story.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Indeed, it is surprising that some providers have retained inclusive calls to 0845 and/or 0870 numbers for so long.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure