Last-minute issues: Does anybody else store Xmas food overstocks in a nice cold (unheated) lobby?!

:xmassmile:
Last-minute Xmas :xmastree: trials & tribulations . . .

Just wondered: does anybody else store Xmas food overstocks in lobby?!

In the last few days before the Big Day, we have so many spare bits & bobs - vegetables, cakes, biscuits, drinks - that the kitchen has now overflowed into our lobby! :snow_grin:

The lobby is unheated of course, & the brickwork is uninsulated unlike the rest of the house. But we were a bit worried/felt guilty(!) that it would be too warm to be safe. So a pocket thermometer we found has been left there too, & has helped gauge if it's safe. But at only 8degrees, I can't think it's doing any harm to the health of the food. (And it's not the meat or cream-filled cakes we've left there; just larder-type food.)

But the lark is that getting in & out of the house is a bit is a bit of a problem! :D

The postman raised a few eyebrows when I couldn't get the front door open yesterday to accept a parcel! He had to leave it on the doormat outside. Great Christmas that would have been: all the food but no presents.
Hey-ho; all part of the fun I suppose! :xmassign:
APennySaved

Money, money, money . . . ! ;)

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)

Comments

• sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My mum used to store the Turkey in the caravan as it was always colder than the fridge in December .
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'lobby' but I have a 'corner shop' in my garage (which is accessible from the hall).
    I have 4 or 5 metal shelving racks and have all sorts of stuff on them, mainly tinned and dry goods.
    But my vegetables are always stored in there and are fine.

If it's stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated (and personally I don't don't think vegetables need to be), I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • APennySaved
    APennySaved Posts: 215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2019 at 2:54PM
    Thanks all. I love sillyvixen's parent's caravan idea for storing turkey! Would that be called 'meals on wheels'?! ;)

I just posted the thread as it struck me as funny that at Xmas all usual routines go out of the window! :xmassmile Then by January it's back to normal. It'll have to be: I don't think the lobby could take being jammed up all year round. (Thank heavens for the back door!)

P.S. by "lobby" I mean the area between the living room & the hallway; it's next to the front door so inside the house, but it's not fully insulated as it's not a living area.

I like Pollycat's name for their garage 'corner shop'! :) I too keep tins etc. in our garage - on a shelving rack too - but this year the garage door has started coming off & half-jammed, so I'm not risiking putting bits & pieces in just to find my OH & I can't access them over winter. Anyway, it's nice to know that I am not alone in that garage idea & leaving our overstocks there. However, 1 New Year's resolution is to reduce the amount of stuff we have. And that includes using up tins & stopping buying too many tins; I blame the VFM deals the supermarkets offer! :wink: So that's one plan for January plus!
    APennySaved

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If its overstock why have you got so much stuff? Shops are only going to be closed for one or maybe 2 days over the whole holiday period.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Surely its not at all MSE to overstock with un-storable/perishable items...?
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We did most of Christmas food shop yesterday, and hubby put all the stuff that needed to go into the fridge away. Then asked where will we put the turkey as the fridge was apparently full. I have spent half an hour reorganizing the fridge in a logical order and it now there is plenty of space.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • A busy porch sounds fine & a self rectifying problem. It's the coal shed I worry about, as it's not as cold here in Lancs as I'd like for the season & running water through the shed is not going to be easy...
  • sillyvixen wrote: »
    Then asked where will we put the turkey as the fridge was apparently full. I have spent half an hour reorganizing the fridge in a logical order and it now there is plenty of space.

Glad you got it sorted! :)
    We did that too, with a goose & the fridge, last year! Again, some moving around did the trick, including having to remove one of the fridge shelves for the Christmas duration! :o
    We seem to learn something new every year, don't we?! :rudolf:
    APennySaved

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Our turkey will be stored in nice cold garage for a couple of days
  • APennySaved
    APennySaved Posts: 215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2019 at 6:39PM
    [ Post-Christmas update - & wishing all a Happy New Year! _party_ : ]

One of the things I love doing at Christmas is to stock up / overstock on items that are simply not available at other times of the year! :

e.g.
    • mince pies - which keep nice & fresh & eatable (in sealed shop packaging) till way beyond Easter. I suppose the next best thing in our house of mince pie fans would be mince pie flavoured Easter eggs! ;)
    • Cheese Footballs - a lovely snack made by KP. For some reason these scrummy savoury bites are not available all year round!
    • tins & storage pots for e.g. savoury snacks & sweet biscuits. Handily labelled by the manufacturer - i.e. marked on the container's surface with the name of the product - these great pots are a super way of locating an item.
    • etc.
    So I'll stock up on these items at Christmas, as they're sadly not available Jan-Nov. We then put them, in a dust-protecting clear plastic bag, out of harm's way on top of the kitchen cabinets.

So that's where we've been busy this January, moving items from the lobby, now that the new year has started!

. . . At least we'll have stock of these favourites all year round :-) And we'll have a clear lobby at last!

:)
    APennySaved

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure