Disabled Facilities Grant

13»

Comments

• D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    rev229 your story is a great example of how things should work :T so pleased its made your family's life a little easier.

Can I ask how your daughter is with the shower?? Is she ok with water on her head/sensory issues etc as our 9 yr old is autistic (also now being investigated for epilepsy..)

We are currently on the waiting list for an OT assesment for another son (13) who had a major op on his spine (rods etc).His OT at the hospital(out of borough) sent an urgent request to our local OT for assesment for a level access shower amongst other things but as I said above we're not classed as urgent in our borough :mad: so have to wait til January,by which time he'll have had another op :mad:
    BUT now we're wondering how our younger boy will cope with a shower instead of a bath...he's ok sitting in the bath with a shower on his shoulders..

*edited to add I've met our social worker once in 3 years..so don't hold out much hope on that front..!!
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    D&DD wrote: »
    rev229 your story is a great example of how things should work :T so pleased its made your family's life a little easier.

Can I ask how your daughter is with the shower?? Is she ok with water on her head/sensory issues etc as our 9 yr old is autistic (also now being investigated for epilepsy..)

We are currently on the waiting list for an OT assesment for another son (13) who had a major op on his spine (rods etc).His OT at the hospital(out of borough) sent an urgent request to our local OT for assesment for a level access shower amongst other things but as I said above we're not classed as urgent in our borough :mad: so have to wait til January,by which time he'll have had another op :mad:
    BUT now we're wondering how our younger boy will cope with a shower instead of a bath...he's ok sitting in the bath with a shower on his shoulders..

*edited to add I've met our social worker once in 3 years..so don't hold out much hope on that front..!!

Well, I do sympathise with you re. social workers we had no contact at all for 3 years I made contact with them as our daughter was being assessed for a place at a special school. Our daughter has always hated a shower as she doesn't like her face hair getting wet. However form a safety point it is so much better as she cannot scald herself, drown, or flood the bathroom and should she have a seizure we can get her out quickly. She has a seat in the shower. From an Autistc view we just told her the bath was going and she would have to use the shower like it or not!! The shower they provide is a thermostatic mira shower which only heats the water to a set maximum temperature so even if she turns it to maximum she can not scald herself. |The shower spray is quite gentle not power shower feeling apparently it is for those who may have sensitive skin issues. Have you tried contacting the OT yourself ours is somehow connected to the county council so you could ring the council and asked to be put through. Or contacted the social worker and ask for a core assessment! I would emphasise how difficult the situation is and that you son needs urgent assessment also it can't be very good for you back if you cannot bath him safely. Also worth going to your MP we had a problem with wheelchair services/Social service which when they knew I had an appointment with the MP was sorted!! You will have to fight for it, if they think you will wait for them. Also get you GP involved as they can probably refer you to an OT. I would be ringing them every week until they get there act together, but I don't give in or take any of their excuses just keep fighting. I have with lots of stuff for our daughter with 100% success.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure