Car insurance auto renewal

Hi, I have a question about car insurance renewal policies. I currently have a policy with admiral that we purchased last year and I paid the premium in full for the year. I put admiral note in my diary to do a comparison for when it was due for renewal and have been waiting to get either a letter or email with my renewal price although inshoudk point out I would never accept the renewal quote.
Today I received my credit card statement to find that there was a charge from admiral on it from the 29th March. They have taken the money without notify me of what the renewal is. I see from the original email I received for my policy last year that they now auto renew as standard. While this is very annoying the bit I can't get my head round is that they charged me on the 29th March yet my policy does not expire until the 25th MAY!!! Do you think this is an error on their part or can they really take money that early?

Comments

• BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    I've no idea if that is usual for car auto-renewals, as I don't drive, but my buildings and contents insurance both auto renew (through choice) and although I pay by direct debit, so it's slightly different, both send me an advice about a month or so before renewal date with the new prices in and I did avail myself of the opportunity to look elsewhere with one of them and did subsequently move.

They usually contain a comment that if you don't want to go ahead, you have to give x amount of notice, which I did.

You might need to check their terms for auto renewal, but taking the monies 2 months in advance without notice is not something I would personally find acceptable. I would hope that it's an error on their part. I'm sure there must be regulations on taking payment without advance notice.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Now I'm at my computer, I was able to more easily search and Admiral has this comment on their "Why does Admiral...?" page:
    "You will receive your renewal notice from us between 14 and 21 days before it is due; if you registered online this will be sent out in the form of an email.

Just call our Renewals department and let them know if you don't want to renew. If you call us after the new period of insurance has started, we can still cancel the policy, although there will be a cancellation fee. If you cancel outside the 14 day cooling off period you will be charged for the days on cover."
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    OP

Check your policy.

Admiral do bonus accelerator policies which last 10 months.

See if yours is one of those

If not then make a complaint in line with their complaints procedure.

If you are unhappy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
  • Sounds like you had a 10 month policy which is their default; makes the quote look cheap.
  • Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. Yes my other half phoned up and apparently we were on a ten month policy. I didn't even know they existed. I got the original quote from a comparison site so feeling a little mislead. I wouldn't have taken it out if I'd known. They also said they emailed us the renewal quote but we never received it. I've checked the spam folder as well just to be sure.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ouch. I've never heard of a ten month policy, but that's a very sharp practice. Although quite how you buy one without realising it, I'm not sure!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Zorillo wrote: »
    Ouch. I've never heard of a ten month policy, but that's a very sharp practice. Although quite how you buy one without realising it, I'm not sure!
    Not a sharp practice - it would be hard to buy it without realising and the advantage to the policyholder is they build their NCD quicker

(I have no axe to grind for the insurer!!)
  • Quentin wrote: »
    Not a sharp practice - it would be hard to buy it without realising and the advantage to the policyholder is they build their NCD quicker

(I have no axe to grind for the insurer!!)

Yes but then if you want to go with a different insurer they ask how many YEARS no-claim discount you have not how many 10 MONTH PERIOD discounts do you have. So if you claim a year's NCD having only completed 10 months, it is not strictly accurate or truthful.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes but then if you want to go with a different insurer they ask how many YEARS no-claim discount you have not how many 10 MONTH PERIOD discounts do you have. So if you claim a year's NCD having only completed 10 months, it is not strictly accurate or truthful.
    If you are on a 10 month policy then Admiral will give you 1 years NCD if you complete it without claims, so this is non issue.
  • Admiral will also bump up your renewal which is why, as I said, 'if you want to go with a different insurer' it could be a problem as you won't have a year's NCB but only 10 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure