Magistrate - Anyone done this?

I am looking into being a Magistrate (not family court). My work has agreed to cover my volunteering commitments and i have sat in court for a couple of days.

How did you find the role? did they push to get you to take more days or sit more sessions? How long was the training? how did your rotas get worked out? What was the best bit? What was the worst? Did you have any issues claiming your expenses or was it frowned on? How intense was the interviews?

Any advice would be gratefully received!
Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...

Comments

• Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    As a magistrate you are required to pass judgement on criminals so your cognitive disability would be a disadvantage particularly as you miss out words. Being articulate and precise is an essential requirement.
    Have you discussed this with the magistrates court?
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 April 2018 at 4:03PM
    As a winger- I won't be speaking to the public.

I will never be a chairman, so i don't have to be articulate in court to the any of the parties attending only conferring among the magistrates themselves.

I can read and take information in very well. I am a very good communicator, more so in discussion than writing - I have had many years to help me work around the issue. My main problem will be entering and leaving to confer (coordination issues)I would hate it if I fell - they have advised they are able to make concessions for disability. For example there are blind magistrates.

I have noted a disability on my application (its just a check box) though i am a little concerned as the guidance handbook states specifically they will not ask questions regarding your disability at interview.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Can your wording be a bit muddled and "off" when you're communicating verbally as well as in writing? If so I imagine that would be a problem.

Edit to add: My Dad's wife's a magistrate so whatever happens they'll always be one that's worse than you.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    No advice, but I wanted to wish you all the best for this. I looked into it a couple of years ago, spent a full day at court; but then littl'un's educational needs started taking up more of my time, and it just wasn't the right moment :) Now that they've started taking magistrates in family court, I might reconsider in the next couple of years.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    For example there are blind magistrates.

I suspect a blind magistrate would be the best type, obviously with some help for interpreting visual evidence.
  • Anyone who wants to do it probably shouldn't.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 April 2018 at 12:21AM
    Anyone who wants to do it probably shouldn't.

I tend to agree with this.

Also, if I had the misfortune to end up as a defendant at a magistrates court I'm not sure I would be happy to have a mag with a "cognitive disability."

Sorry if that sounds harsh but If you found against me, I'd be appealing on the grounds of your cognitive disability and I hadn't had a fair trial.

OP - do you mean "cognitive" (which I would construe as being about understanding what's going on) or do you mean something like dyslexia. I would not want someone with a cognitive disability standing judgement over me in a court. Sorry - that's daft.

EDIT: Your signature says you sometimes miss out words - so what if you want to say "not guilty" but miss out the "not" bit?
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 April 2018 at 6:42AM
    So, there is a little misunderstanding here. I have a neurological disorder that can cause significant co-ordination issues some times that can affect my speech - momentarily. It does not affect my cognitive function overall.

I can miss out word when writing and in conversation - with a very short delay. Also, as mentioned before, i will not be speaking in court. There are three magistrates two wingers and the chair. The chair does all the speaking i will never be a chair.

My day to day work is conflict resolution (with very very angry people both in writing and over the phone) - so I am able to demonstrate that I can take on case details, process the outcome and render a decision in a short amount of time - whilst communicating the outcome to both affected parties - quite successfully.

I am perfectly able to process information and relay my opinion of the facts presented.

But gladly, that will be for the interview panel to decide.

Thank you for the PMs they were very helpful.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    I would not be happy either as a defendant or as a fellow magistrate that your ability to express yourself is impaired in any way whatsoever.

If you'll never be able to speak as the chair then you are a passenger. If you are misunderstood, even momentarily, then someone innocent could be convicted.

For the record, I spent a great deal of my career working with and being an advocate for people with disabilities. I think I have a fairly open mind and am not biased against you nor anyone and know all about making provision for disabilities to enable everyone to fulfil their potential.
    One of my friends is chairman of a Bench and another was a JP for many years so again I have insights.
  • Loanranger wrote: »
    I would not be happy either as a defendant or as a fellow magistrate that your ability to express yourself is impaired in any way whatsoever.

If you'll never be able to speak as the chair then you are a passenger. If you are misunderstood, even momentarily, then someone innocent could be convicted.

For the record, I spent a great deal of my career working with and being an advocate for people with disabilities. I think I have a fairly open mind and am not biased against you nor anyone and know all about making provision for disabilities to enable everyone to fulfil their potential.
    One of my friends is chairman of a Bench and another was a JP for many years so again I have insights.

That is what would worry me as well. The bench have a discussion, the chair says OK, we are agreed, and then one says (after a short time delay) "oh, I missed the word not out".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure