PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    I'm still working in June, but just realised that for July I'm away for four nights on a kind of holiday, and out with friends for two nights, so there should be absolutely no reason for me to go over in July!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    *hops over from June thread*

Hi everyone :D

Got through June under budget and looking forward to carrying on through July! No major changes planned this month, sticking with the £60 per week budget for now... however half term at the end of the month so probably need to review for August as will have a teenager and pre-teen to feed all summer and those things are bottomless! :eek:

Many thanks to those running the thread and good luck everyone!!!

Fox
    x
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • Hi,
    Please put me down for $800 for July
    Amanda
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • It's a 5 week month for me, so can I be down for $1100 please. I am secretly hoping to keep it under that because it seems like a lot, but I'm already at $1000 for June and it's not even 30 days yet.

I'm starting July early this month because I'm off to Costco tomorrow. For some reason my Mum thought that waiting until the first of the month was just being silly, and since it's her card, tomorrow it is. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit anything into my freezer, though, it's rammed. First things first: freezer audit!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hello all. Well after an overspend in June, I am looking forward to a fresh start for July. Please put me down for £260

Best of luck to us all :A
  • I didn't really know what I spent on groceries before I took part in May's challenge, and it was a steep learning curve! I realised I was spending a LOT in the corner shop and the takeaway. I wandered off-piste in June, but I'm back with renewed enthusiasm for July. I'm going to try having a separate small budget for eating out, under the entertainment category of my budget. I have a full freezer and cupboards and yet still buy more each week, so my challenge for July is to use that stuff up. I'm joining in over on the 'eating out of the freezer and cupboards thread' and I'm planning to just buy:

fruit and veg
    sandwich meat for Mr AMOT
    milk
    bread
    tea, coffee and soft drinks (squash)
    butter
    jam
    yoghurt
    cereal

For July I would like to set a budget of £160 please. Happy to be on board for July!
  • slimbrunett
    slimbrunett Posts: 74 Forumite
    Hi I would like to join in I usually go shopping on a Saturday but sometimes my husband pops to shop in week for more milk butter bread / coffee if we run out so going to try to include this too.
    We budget £400 - £100 a week when we do our figures I would like to try and save £50 a month to start so my figure is £350 £87.50 per weekfor the month. this is for 2 adults a 14 and 10 year old.
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    And we are out of the starting blocks!

For me it was a NSD, but OH went and bought Ice Cream, Strawberries, A Pastie and Cheese.

So £7.05 has been spent of the new budget.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Please put me in for £170 for July, it's the dreaded 5 week month plus £20 to cover extras for a family get together and my son & his partner staying. Thanks:)
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    i took the lead from all you freezer defrosters yesterday and wrapped my food in duvets and defrosted the freezer. I think the door must've been left slightly open cos there was a huge iceberg at the top of it. nearly 4 hours later it was done and refilled.
    I found the last of last years home-grown tomatoes lurking in the back and some other odds of veg so thawed them and made a huge vat of blended tomato pasta type sauce that i'll portion and freeze, I find in that guise its the handiest for pasta (obviously) jambalaya, soups, stews etc.
    I also need the tubs of sauce to use up some of the space that the veg and the iceberg used, i'm thinking that freezers should be full to be efficient.
    while i'm here at dad's looking after him i'll have a root throo his freezer to see what supplies he'll need. lots of easily digested dinners I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure