PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    another big shop for me this week coming in at £39.99.
    am starting to be concerned about going over budget this month cos 'family day' has turned into 'family weekend' and therefore will be more expensive.
    i'm more pleased to be seeing my sisters and families for longer than fretting over a £20ish overspend tho, esp as sisters weekend at the beginning of june was postphoned this year due to ill health
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    $110 on the weekly shop this week, which includes a few extra snacks because the girls are home on school holidays but no meat. That puts me at $492/$1100 so basically 500 down, 600 to go, with a lot of meat stashed away. Mr E's away for some of next week, which will help.

Meal plan looks like:
    Sunday night: roast lamb dinner (freeze leftovers for lamb and pearl barley stew)
    Monday: Spaghetti bolognese
    Tuesday: Tomato soup and cheese toasties
    Wednesday: Tuna pasta
    Thursday: Meat pies (leftover bolognese sauce in puff pastry)
    Friday: Hainanese chicken rice (whole poached chicken, save leftovers for future meals)
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spends of £11 yesterday in morrisons, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, milk etc. £59 left in budget for the month! ys spree this afternoon I hope. x
  • Kittencat
    Kittencat Posts: 699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well this week has been a big grocery week coming at £77.58. This has been mainly to do with painters being here all week and husband going out buying them goodies. Can still do our target though as the cupboards are still quiet full so shouldn't need to much today on my main shop.

So I'm on week 2 of a 4.5 month and it's looking like this . . . . .£138.76/£275
  • MissLemon
    MissLemon Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Haven't spent anything (groceywise) for 7 days. Today I spent £2.75 on some oat milk orange juice and water, which is really good for me, as I did take a wander 'round Wholefoods in Camden, and came out with nothing.

Well done on getting out of Wholefoods alive without spending!

If you drink Alpro oat milk it's on offer at the moment in Morrisons, buy 4 for £4. I've just stocked up!
    Original MF Date January 2035. MF Date February 2022
  • GrowingPlants
    Options
    Just popped into Lidl and spent £2.85. So that's now the months spend at £28.04
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    OH spent £2.43 since I last posted. Needed items only.

£90.34/£155.
    £64.66 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Suzywoozy8
    Suzywoozy8 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2017 at 8:41PM
    Options
    End of week two and another major week of spending:eek: We have entertained twice this week though - not full on dinner but drinks and nibbles/ cake, which adds up faster than I think it does!

I'm starting to see why we've not done a month under £400 for a long time. However, despite some big spends in the first two weeks, I can see that my mindset is changing and I'm thinking about how I can use things up rather than just filling the compost bin!

Tonight we had roast chicken tonight with potatoes, salad and coleslaw that all needed using up rather than chucking. Remaining chicken is now shredded and boxed ready for sandwiches/ salad this week. I've also made lentil dahl for the freezer to use up some tomatoes that would otherwise have ended up in the bin! OH mum also gave us some leeks that were lovely and fresh then, but have just sat in our fridge and so are now chopped and stored in the freezer! Have also done a rough meal plan for the next week! So feeling chuffed that I've thought about how NOT to throw things away, but not over-excited at lasting the rest of the month on our remaining cash.

So confession time, spends are currently: £286.67/ £400
    Oh, and also realised our month runs 25th June to 28th July this time as I got my dates wrong!! :eek:
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another £31 spend in Tesco - and that was after I put the dishwashing tablets and batteries back. It was all needed stuff - fruit, snacks for DS, cheese, milks (almond, 1% and chocolate for different family members). The only particularly expensive item was coffee but it all adds up so quickly these days. Doubt very much I will be anywhere close to budget this month!
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Oops. I'm now at £61.44. I went to £streeeetcher and bm bargs yesterday and got some awesome deals, then did the weekly shop today. Got so much for that money, but now my stocks are even higher! Oh well, can't change it now - can only go from here, with lots more food to choose from when meal planning!

Had chicken salad today, with lo ys chicken that oh bought yesterday, homegrown lettuce, and loads of other bits. Really filled me up. Children had pasta with sauce as they don't like salad. I have loads of theirs left over so that will be lunches for the week. I'll put the last of the chicken in the freezer, to make a pie at the weekend.

The only thing I didn't get, which I do need, is lard, so I'll pop somewhere during the week to get that before Saturday's pie...

Have a great week everyone!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport