Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chippy2u
    • By chippy2u 6th Apr 15, 1:02 PM
    • 282Posts
    • 123Thanks
    chippy2u
    cdkeys. beware!
    • 6th Apr 15, 1:02 PM
    cdkeys. beware! 6th Apr 15 at 1:02 PM
    Just tried to get an xbox live gold code from 'cdkeys'. After a lot of faffing about checking my PayPal details and me having to give them my email addy and mobile no. so they can send me a pin code to enter, I then have to wait while all this is 'verified' and then I get a text asking me to email a photo of my driving licence and/or my passport and a photo of a daily newspaper with today's date on. WTF! All I want is an xbox gold code not access to America's military secrets!!
    Emailed 'cdkeys' to cancel order, now just have to wait and see if I get a refund.Won't be holding my breath!
Page 2
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 26th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 31,452 Posts
    • 19,859 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Used CDkeys yesterday to purchase xbox live subscription yesterday. Tried to redeem code and says already redeemed. Eventually spoke to microsoft on chat and they were able to tel me that code already redeemed 22nd March !!
    No reply so far from CDKeys !!
    Scared to purchase another in case I dont get a refund - my son desperately wants to go live as off on school holidays.
    Cant afford to loose 35
    Originally posted by BOBS
    Could have bought a 14 day pass for 2.99.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 11-04-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 26th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 2,785 Posts
    • 2,125 Thanks
    BOBS
    Wish I had known that last night DCFC !! -
    CDKeys have come up trumps and send us a new code this morning and are 'investigating' the redeemed code I was sent yesterday.
    • Foraced33
    • By Foraced33 26th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Foraced33
    Your issues are quite alarming guys! I always want to try CdKeys but this thread leads me to.... still going to do more research about it. Hope you can clear things out more.
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 26th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 2,785 Posts
    • 2,125 Thanks
    BOBS
    Foraced - yes I was given a code that had already been redeemed - but they have sorted it out for me within 24 hours - so probably cant complain.
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 26th Mar 18, 11:18 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    Arklight
    I!!!8217;ve used them without issue. The driving license newspaper thing is to determine you!!!8217;re a real person with the ability to produce your original ID on a given day, not a hacked account buying a fake key.

It!!!8217;s alarming being asked but considering how much scammers try and rip them off it!!!8217;s the only thing they can do. They can!!!8217;t test the codes before they!!!8217;re sold.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 28th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    unholyangel
    I've used them dozens of times since around 2013 and never had any issues.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • danze
    • By danze 11th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    danze
    They're cheap but not always legal, you take a risk buying from grey market sites like cdkeys as potentially the keys are originally purchased for sale on the site with stolen credit card information.
    Debt free journey (Started Feb 2018)
    127553.79 / 136325.55
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 11th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    unholyangel
    They're cheap but not always legal, you take a risk buying from grey market sites like cdkeys as potentially the keys are originally purchased for sale on the site with stolen credit card information.
    Originally posted by danze
    That was true for places like G2A or kinguin. But I have never heard of anyone having something they purchased on cdkeys being revoked months/years later for being purchased with stolen card details. I checked them out at great length before purchasing because I didn't want the risk of that happening.
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 11th Apr 18, 11:42 PM
    • 6,718 Posts
    • 15,825 Thanks
    barmonkey
    Complete and utter b0ll0ck5
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • danze
    • By danze 14th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    danze
    While it may not be true for cdkeys - almost all cheap cdkey website source some of their keys from people who obtained them through fraud - I'm not saying they'll steal your card details and I'm not saying the keys will stop working (although it's certainly possible).

I AM saying is you're potentially supporting credit card fraud, future region-locking and/or taking money away from unlucky cardholders/developers.

Cdkeys.com are not an official reseller - as in they have no deals with publishers to sell digital versions of the software. It's up to you where you chose to purchase from and as far as I'm concerned you're not doing anything wrong - but people need to know the truth about where the savings come from.
    127553.79 / 136325.55
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th Apr 18, 1:58 PM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    unholyangel
    While it may not be true for cdkeys - almost all cheap cdkey website source some of their keys from people who obtained them through fraud - I'm not saying they'll steal your card details and I'm not saying the keys will stop working (although it's certainly possible).

I AM saying is you're potentially supporting credit card fraud, future region-locking and/or taking money away from unlucky cardholders/developers.

Cdkeys.com are not an official reseller - as in they have no deals with publishers to sell digital versions of the software. It's up to you where you chose to purchase from and as far as I'm concerned you're not doing anything wrong - but people need to know the truth about where the savings come from.
    How can people know the truth when you don't know it yourself?

Cdkeys bulk buys keys in different currencies - thats how they manage to offer savings, nothing to do with using stolen credit cards. Same as you can go to various different country versions of microsofts website and get games much cheaper than you would from microsofts UK store.
    • danze
    • By danze 16th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    danze
    That's fair, but I only stated they're definitely not authorized resellers which means regardless where they are buying from it's not directly from the publisher - the products COULD be purchased from the black market - only cdkeys.com know who their sources are, we just know it's not the publishers...

Again, the reviews are good and the codes will probably always work, but you're probably not helping people employed in the videogame industry. Post-purchase rationalization is a powerful thing - would you buy speakers from the back of a lorry?
    127553.79 / 136325.55
    • Lagamorph
    • By Lagamorph 17th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lagamorph
    cdkeys aren't a grey market site like G2A or Kinguin.

From what I understand a lot of the keys from cdkeys come from physical versions purchased from retailers in cheaper regions where the keys are also region free. Given the decline of physical sales of PC games though I do wonder how much longer that kind of business model can continue.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 17th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    unholyangel
    That's fair, but I only stated they're definitely not authorized resellers which means regardless where they are buying from it's not directly from the publisher - the products COULD be purchased from the black market - only cdkeys.com know who their sources are, we just know it's not the publishers...

Again, the reviews are good and the codes will probably always work, but you're probably not helping people employed in the videogame industry. Post-purchase rationalization is a powerful thing - would you buy speakers from the back of a lorry?
    If they were being purchased from the black market, we definitely would have had many instances of the games being removed from peoples libraries - as happens with g2a and kinguin.

Please tell me why the gaming industry works on optimal pricing with geographical pricing discrimination if they're in such trouble? Not to mention that all mainstream games tend to have the same starting price point, with no regard for how much it actually cost to make or how long gameplay actually is. Don't get me started on the ones who launch a half-assed broken game - never mind doing so at full price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,501Posts Today

7,651Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Our money-saving expert @MartinSLewis explains why he's had enough of the scams trying to trick victims using his name and?

• Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• Follow Martin