Prepayment to Credit Meter Comparison

CYPER
CYPER Posts: 238 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am currently on a Prepayment meter with E.On and would like to get a normal credit meter, but none of the comparison websites will tell me which provider is the cheapest as they only compare like for like.
MSE Energy Club does the same.

Also I am not sure if I can get a credit meter first only with Eon or I can get it from any energy company.

Is there a way to know which provider and tarrif will be the cheapest in my circumstances?
I pay around £1250 for gas and £1000 for electricity per year.
My gas bill says:
Estimated use in the last 12 months
Total 23,903 kWh

Comments

• PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    CYPER wrote: »
    I am currently on a Prepayment meter with E.On and would like to get a normal credit meter, but none of the comparison websites will tell me which provider is the cheapest as they only compare like for like.

Also I am not sure if I can get a credit meter first only with Eon or I can get it from any energy company.

Is there a way to know which provider and tarrif will be the cheapest in my circumstances?
    My gas bill says:
    Total 23,903 kWh

You cannot have a credit tariff with a PPM (or vice versa)

Only your supplier at the time is allowed to arrange a meter change.

More info here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Just go on a comparison website which is quick and easy to use, no registering or email needed, such as Uswitch and do two separate inputs. Tick prepayment meter first, add your annual usage in preferably kwhs and do not to forget to "include the whole market " or they will only show you ones they get commission for.
    Note the total you will pay in a year from your chosen supplier, usually the cheapest like Spark Energy, then simply redo the same ticking credit meter, monthly direct debit, annual kwhs and compare the two. Don t use MSE for this comparison but use them if you like for the final switch to collect cashback
    I d be surprised if there was nt at least a £300 difference in credit v prepay especially with such a huge yearly total 23000 kwh gas usage
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

My gas bill says:
    Total 23,903 kWh

Hello CYPER and just a quick heads up.

We don't charge to swap from a prepayment to a credit meter but you would need to pass an external credit check. Also, there can't be any unpaid debt left on the prepayment meters and they can't have been fitted on a warrant or as part of a pre-disconnection visit. If none of this applies and the credit check is okay, we'll be happy to change your meter to a credit one. This will give you access to more tariffs both with us and with the other suppliers.

Hope this is of interest CYPER.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PaschalFun wrote: »
    You cannot have a credit tariff with a PPM (or vice versa)

... unless it's a British Gas Smart Prepayment Meter. They can remotely set it to Credit Mode (and back to Prepayment mode). That's what they did when I moved into my current property which had BG smart prepayment meters installed and I switched to Scottish Power.

The process of changing to a credit meter from a prepayment meter is actually quite simple provided you can jump over the hurdles: You tell them you want a credit meter, they credit check you and then you pay them a deposit if they require it. Et voila your meters get changed. Some companies charge a fee for changing the meter and some don't. For example SSE might charge up to £52 per meter.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/money-made-easy/how-to-switch-from-a-prepayment-energy-meter/
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    Anthorn wrote: »
    ... unless it's a British Gas Smart Prepayment Meter. ..

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you failed to notice...
    I am currently on a Prepayment meter with E.On ...

:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport