PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Beware rental scam

Comments

• tim123456789
    tim123456789 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    flora48 wrote: »
    Please be aware that this scam is still on going

well of course it is

it's a standard scam used the world over (I had it in Copenhagen)

as soon as they ask for a fee to view you know they are a scammer

but as long as there are people who pay it will continue
  • Am so glad I have found this!!! I was a bit weary but went along. She sent me a tenancy agreement so I looked up the address she was registered at and this instantly came up. She used the name Caroline Parker wanted £500 deposit before even viewing! She also contacted me on 2 different phone numbers!
  • flora48
    flora48 Posts: 644 Forumite
    You'd have thought it would be a good idea to set up a sting seeing as they approach those advertising for properties.

This is exactly what I hope will happen. My 86 year old m-l-l has informed the police of her £500 loss but has yet to hear anything.
    These scammers need stopping!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You'd have thought it would be a good idea to set up a sting seeing as they approach those advertising for properties.

How would this sting work? They're not daft enough to turn up in real life.
  • G_M wrote: »

Sending money to strangers is never advisable.

You've got that right. Every year some t055p0t from HMRC rips me off right royally! :D
  • davidmcn wrote: »
    How would this sting work? They're not daft enough to turn up in real life.

oh they will if they sniff money

but you have to be clever
  • Dean67
    Dean67 Posts: 8 Forumite
    So where would people say is a good place to find private landlords?
  • mi5tery
    mi5tery Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    These people get my blood boiling!
    flora48 wrote: »
    My 86 year old m-l-l has informed the police of her £500 loss but has yet to hear anything.
    These scammers need stopping!

Can I ask, how was this crime reported? Did your MIL go through Action Fraud?
  • flora48
    flora48 Posts: 644 Forumite
    mi5tery wrote: »
    These people get my blood boiling!

Can I ask, how was this crime reported? Did your MIL go through Action Fraud?

My relative says she reported it to the Fraud Squad, presumably by telephone.
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 7 February 2017 at 9:50PM
    MissB1988 wrote:
    Hi.

Ive recently been the victim of a rental scam on gumtree. I put an ad on there saying i require a property that accepts housing benefit. Long story short i was contacted and discussions took place where they said they lived far away and would need a holding fee first before i viewed it as they have been let down with viewings in the past and wanted to make sure i had the money. Me being desperate for a this type of property and being in supported acommodation suffering with mental helath difficulties snapped at the chance. I didnt want the property to go so sent the fraudsters 500 quid onyl to learn it was all fake.

They sent tenancy agreements and other supporting documents. The photos were taken from a number of estate agents websites, my friend pointed this out and thats how i found out it was a scam.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lessons learnt and i know i was incredibly niave!!! anybody that does something similar and gets approached by a samantha boakes from coventry beware. Theyve probably changed their name now. They used 688 sewall highway, coventry as the address. Ive already found one complaint online of a caller name of rosemarie grant linked to this address, so they must change their names not sure why they dont change the address though.

The police know and the bank tried to get the money back but its been withdrawn.

For Reference

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/2697992-Ive-been-scammed-out-500-by-a-rental-scam

https://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-and-house-for-rent-wanted/anyone-looking-for-a-flat-locally-if-contacted-by-rosemarie-grant-it-is-a-scam.-do-not-believe-them/1201270819

http://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num=01727260372

https://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-and-house-for-rent-wanted/-avoid-avoid-avoid-/1204732946
    Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure