too good too be true ??

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    facade wrote: »
    You wonder why the scammers don't price at just a little below market value, people would be less wary, and hand over more money. There can't be that many people about now whose greed and desire to beat everyone else to a grossly underpriced "bargain" means they part with the money as fast as they can click the mouse.

The counterfeiters seem to have caught on with general eBay sales, the copies are almost the same price as the genuine items now, you have to be really careful buying anything.

With this type of scam there's a large amount of profit which means they don't need a lot of people to fall for it. By pricing the fraudulent item far below the normal price people are less likely to be put off by the hassle, if it was only a small amount less then they'd be more inclined to stick with a proper garage.

I do find it strange as my immediate thought when I see an item far below what it's worth for no reason is it must be a scam but that isn't the case for everyone. However this car scam clearly works as it's been going on for years and I see other scams where a popular item is priced well below its value which seem to work as well unfortunately.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Also plays on people who think they are getting a bargain. We all want a bargain but if its really cheap some people wont stop and think why, just get there before someone else buys it.

Rush in a hand over the money before they stop and think, why is this car in another country when the pictures taken today show it outside their home. Or usually the case the car was sold on ebay or autotrader etc recently for several thousand £'s more. And oddly they are using the same pictures.

Price it cheap enough and it overrides peoples brain cells to stop and think is it a scam.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• I would just like to say a huge thank you to MSE and for the people who have posted items about David John Rose and his scams.

I too almost fell for it and was about to buy a Motorhome over the weekend. I did think I was getting a bit of a bargain although when he said we were using a third party to exchange the money, it somehow felt better that I wasn't paying him direct.

I decided to search his name on line, just before I sent the money and im so glad I did when I saw these posts.

I have reported this to the Citizens Advice and have also sent an email to UShip to let them know he is using their company name.

Im so sorry for anyone who has lost their money on this and can only thank you sincerely for sharing your information and saving us from the same fate.
  • Sorry guys - I've just been discharged from hospital and only just become aware of this thread. Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick, or is this some scam based in the Isle of Man? (Sorry - I'm still not quite "with it" because of my meds!).
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Sorry guys - I've just been discharged from hospital and only just become aware of this thread. Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick, or is this some scam based in the Isle of Man? (Sorry - I'm still not quite "with it" because of my meds!).

No the scam isn't based on the Isle of Man nor is the vehicle there, the usual part of these scams is that the vehicle is somewhere not easily accessible so therefore they can't come see the car (since it doesn't exist) and they need to use a supposed intermediate company to handle payment and shipping. People think they are safe using these intermediate companies but unfortunately it's part of the scam.

Unsurprisingly if the buyer claims to be where the car is or will take a holiday there, the car won't be available to view.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Sorry guys - I've just been discharged from hospital and only just become aware of this thread. Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick, or is this some scam based in the Isle of Man? (Sorry - I'm still not quite "with it" because of my meds!).

Get well soon.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    waamo wrote: »
    get well soon.

+1 ................
  • Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    No the scam isn't based on the Isle of Man nor is the vehicle there, the usual part of these scams is that the vehicle is somewhere not easily accessible so therefore they can't come see the car (since it doesn't exist) and they need to use a supposed intermediate company to handle payment and shipping. People think they are safe using these intermediate companies but unfortunately it's part of the scam.

Unsurprisingly if the buyer claims to be where the car is or will take a holiday there, the car won't be available to view.

Aha - I see. Thanks
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2019 at 11:20PM
    waamo wrote: »
    Get well soon.

Thanks waamo. I'm fine now.

Funny thing is I went to A&E and was triaged but they were as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot. (Not like TV!) Despite my wife telling them I was displaying potentially dangerous symptoms they weren't interested!

Went to my GP next day and she got me admitted to hospital there and then as a medical emergency.

In contrast to A&E, the care I received as an inpatient was outstanding. Six nights in hospital.

EDIT: Only downside is they took blood every morning. My arm is still black and blue after over a week. Took ten phials one morning. Thought that was a lot but the guy in the bed opposite had 23 taken!
  • ginashamz
    ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
    Why anyone would pay for a car online that they've never seen in person is beyond me
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback