Haggle with BT - our new guide

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dont forget you have also agreed to the BT price increase in March 2020 .
  • gdreyer
    gdreyer Posts: 30 Forumite
    Anyone else noticed the broadband contracts are now 24 months long? My current contract is only 18 months
  • Phoned BT as my FTTP Infinity package contract (18 months) was coming to an end and was due to rise from £29.99 a month to £54.99.
    I was not offered any deals at all so gave 30 days notice and will move to a different supplier, probably ZEN.
  • kathygrif wrote: »
    Phoned BT as my FTTP Infinity package contract (18 months) was coming to an end and was due to rise from £29.99 a month to £54.99.
    I was not offered any deals at all so gave 30 days notice and will move to a different supplier, probably ZEN.

I've never used FTTP but is it not the same as FTTC where the gaining BB supplier advises BT of the switch which ends the contract?
  • FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) is very different to FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet). Realistically, there are only two affordable choices for domestic FTTP providers -- BT and Zen. Historically BT have been by far the cheapest. I very much doubt that many have moved from BT to Zen.
  • This broadband availability checker at Ofcom appears to be very accurate, even down to my own house.

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/broadband-coverage
  • Tried to haggle renewal with BT today & offered a 'wireless doorbell'. Explained that this was entirely useless to me, asked for cash equivalent. No luck. Has anyone managed to convert the rubbish 'gift' into something tangible/useful?
  • far
    far Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Currently paying £26.99 a month for line rental and weekend calls only with Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited which is fibre direct to the home here, so it is (usually) a rocksteady 76mbps down. I called up 3 months ago and was told I could only recontract at that price. I got Ring the doorbell offer today too and called up. The best they could offer me was £24.49 a month and a new Smart Hub router, with a 2 year contract.
  • Received the BT Black Friday email yesterday. Accepted the current price for another 24 months. FTTP. Stable 150Mbps down. 20Mbps up. Free Ring wifi doorbell which I needed anyway. £13.00 + £18.17 (line rental saver)/month. I am happy with that.

No RPI increases until 2021.

Don't need the old free (now £5/month) evening and weekend calls package any more because our mobiles have unlimited minutes.
  • neilsedaka wrote: »
    Received the BT Black Friday email yesterday. Accepted the current price for another 24 months. FTTP. Stable 150Mbps down. 20Mbps up. Free Ring wifi doorbell which I needed anyway. £13.00 + £18.17 (line rental saver)/month. I am happy with that.

No RPI increases until 2021.

Don't need the old free (now £5/month) evening and weekend calls package any more because our mobiles have unlimited minutes.

Seems like a good deal! Was this in the BT Black Friday email? I haven't received one.. then again I'm in contract for another 4 months.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback