Electricity bill excessively high ??

Hi, first time poster (be gentle, lol)

I'm having some dispute with my ex-landlord due to cost of electricity bills that she has provided my flatmate and I.

She uses a company called isupply energy for the electricity in the apartment (2 bed in London, so trying to be realistic about pricing expectations). The problem is that although the apartment was fully electric, no gas etc, the amount of energy used appears to be high e.g. low rate (economy 7) hardly used at all and the normal rate has been upto 2000 kWh a month (coming in at around £350 pcm several hundred kWh@ 13.62p per kWh) which seems excessively high when you consider that there were only 2 of us living there, heating as far as I'm aware was on economy 7 and the only power hungry devices would have been washer/drier (which wasn't used most days), fridge and induction hob.

So I guess what I'm trying to find out is,

1 - is this an excessively high usage - I would imagine so (maybe we were paying for next doors electricity :) ) Does this sound like meter may be faulty?
2 - are these costs unrealistic - I have never met anyone else with only electricity that paid more than about £150 pcm and that was high usage.
3 - any suggestions about how I can tackle this - all helpful suggestions welcome.

p.s. the utilities are in the landlords name so I dont think I can talk to the energy supplier directly and had no control over the pricing.

Thank you !!

Comments

• DB123
    DB123 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Actually they are trying to say that we used over 8000kwh - mostly at peak rate - in only 5 months, one of which both of us were often away & heating etc were all turned off.

Average usage for a UK household is supposed to be 4000 !! :(
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Can you give us some details of the heating installation please?

Do you have storage heaters or panels ? What make/model/ sizes please - you will need to look at the plate to get this info.

What are the controls - are there room thermostats and what temp are they set at ? What are the time switches set at.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Two possible scenarios here:

1. The meter your LL thinks is the correct one for the flat is, in fact, the one for a different flat and not the one for the flat you were in, or

2. The day rate and night rate readings have been transposed so that the night usage - when the heaters would presumably been charging up at low rate - had been charged at the high rate.
  • DB123
    edited 12 May 2018 at 10:59PM
    The heating system is a bit weird - the flat is a duplex and the heating is in the ceiling - think underfloor heating but in the ceiling - I believe it's on economy 7.

We only ever had it running for about 2 hours in the morning 5-7am and from 7pm-11pm I think in the evenings. Even so the usage that is claimed seems extraordinarily high

The temp was always set to 15 degrees or lower.
  • DB123
    Hi D_M_E

The meter has a registration number on it and was shown to me ask being the one for the flat, so i dont think that's it.

Yes I agree something seems odd about the usage maybe not a Night/Day swap, but it just seems so excessive that I've asked the LL to have the meter tested
  • Robin9
    I suggest you forget any thoughts about E7 - the single unit rate of 13.62 is more in line with a standard supply and the type of heating described is an on peak system. As a final check to rule E7 out - does the meter have one set of dials or 2 ?

Do you have access to the meter ? If so switch off the consumer unit connected to it and see if you loose supply to your flat. The scenario describe by DME option 1 is quite possible.
  • Robin9
    DB123 wrote: »

Average usage for a UK household is supposed to be 4000 !! :(

But that is for a household that does not heat by electricity.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As Roinn9 says the average of around 4000kwh is for a place that heats by gas or anything other than electricity.

Ceiling panel heaters are not staorage heaters and would be connectect your peak rate circuits (if you've got E7) because they are switched on during peak times (E7 off peak is between midnight and 7am).

You are probably on the wrong tariff because although you get cheaper off-peak rates overnight you cant really take advantage of them unless you use the washing machine, dryer and dishwasher overnight.

Most E7 peak rates cost more than a single rate tariff so a single rate might work out cheaper for you if you are using most of your energy during the daytime and evenings.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • DB123
    Thanks all - I'll take your comments on board
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business