Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Employer deductiong from salary, but not paying into my NEST penson pot

paulcannington
paulcannington Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 7 November 2016 at 12:07AM in Auto-enrolment
I have been working for an employment agency for a couple of years and around a year or so ago, I received a letter from them telling me that I had been auto enrolled into the pension scheme NEST and I should expect a welcome pack from them shortly.
Sure enough, the pack arrived and I was auto-enrolled.
Now, about a year later I have received a letter from NEST informing me that they have reported my employer to the pensions regulator for late payment of contributions.
I have to be honest, I had never logged into my NEST account online (bad I know), so I logged into NEST and despite my employer deducting small amounts from my salary every week and showing on my payslips as 'AE Pension' my contributions were apparently - zero. Not so much 'late' contributions as no contributions whatsoever.
Naturally, I found this a little alarming, so I called Nest just to be sure. I told them and received their letter and I also asked them to confirm the amount in my pension pot and indeed, my pot was empty.
In the letter it said 'despite repeated warnings' to my employer... so it's not as if there's a simple administrative error or a one-off or anything like that.
My question is, am I within my rights to contact my employer, ask them for an explanation and if not satisfied with their answer - ask them to refund all the money they have deducted from my wages over the last year?
I know there are rules in place about taking money out of a pension fund until you have reached the required age, but the fact is (or appears to be) that they haven't actually paid it in - despite deducting it from my wages.
Trust has been lost here for me and I don't intend to work for this agency again. We're not talking a huge amount of money here, but of course that's not the point.
I plan to find work elsewhere now, and will most likely use a different pension fund so even if the agency in question offer to pay everything they've deducted it in to NEST, I don't want them to in all honesty.
So, can I ask them to repay the cash?

Comments

• **Deducting sorry, not deductiong
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would recommend reposting in the main pension section. Time and again we have asked the board to remove this section as barely anyone reads it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure