Ltr from Natwest 8 yrs after bankruptcy regarding NOSIA & overpaid interest

Hello,

After some advice.
I went bankrupt in 2010, and was discharged a year later, although up two years ago I was still having hassle with Natwest, which I understood to have finally been cleared up.

Today I've received a ltr from Natwest regarding a loan and an over payment of interest they apparently weren't entitled to charge under the NOSIA requirements for the period of 13/01/2011 to 05/11/2013 totalling £1504.24, which they are going to kindly take off the outstanding balance.

Slightly confused because as of April 2010 that loan should have been written off under the bankruptcy, and surely 8 years on this shouldn't even be on their file. What need would they have to be looking into a loan that was written off over 8 years ago? :mad:

Any-one else receive one of these letters from Natwest? Or able to shed any light?

:huh::cry::cry::cry:
October wins: Hobgoblin stick of rock :rotfl:

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    From time to time banks run internal checks on their own procedures and it appears an issue has been flagged up.

Records are required to be kept for 6 years, but lots keep them longer than this.

You need to write or phone and explain your situation as it appears the dept concerned may not be aware of your bankruptcy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi Frodo

There may end up being no action for you to take at all. I suspect that the letter you've received is likely to have been automatically generated regardless of whether the debt was written off in your bankruptcy. Did the letter include anything over and above what you referred to in your post, such as a demand for repayment of the recalculated outstanding balance?

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What need would they have to be looking into a loan that was written off over 8 years ago? :mad:

Going bankrupt doesn't remove your rights to have any redress owed applied in the appropriate way.

It doesn't change your situation in any way.
  • No there was no demand of monies to be paid, only to say they would deduct it from what was owed.
    October wins: Hobgoblin stick of rock :rotfl:
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If money is written off e.g. as a result of a bankruptcy, all that means is the firm agrees not to chase you for it, not that the debt doesn't exist in some record somewhere. The bank made a mistake with some letters, they have informed you of this and have used it against the unpaid debt that was in the bankruptcy as is their right. Nothing else you need to do, the wording is just a bit misleading
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure