MSE News: I bagged £60 of shopping for £2.55 with yellow-sticker discounts'

A MoneySaver has told how she bought a whopping £60-worth of shopping for just £2.55, in one of her best-ever 'reduced to clear' supermarket sweeps...
Read the full story:
'I bagged £60 of shopping for £2.55 with yellow-sticker discounts''
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    She was extremely lucky.

In my town the shelves are usually stripped before the YS gets anywhere near these prices.

I have also noticed that the supermarkets have twigged the demand for YS by holding out the reductions for as long as possible before they reduce to really clear the stuff.

Talked to a guy in the bakery in Sainsburys. They say they hold out for as long as they can before they finally reduce to ridiculous prices as all the reduced or non sold items effect the departments bottom line. Basically they have a certain % of wastage/reduction they must keep within.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    All of it expires the same day (most of it is labelled 'use by' which NHS recommend not safe to eat). Personally I think people should limit how much reduced items they should take, give other people a chance...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 July 2017 at 6:20PM
    I always look, if there are any then it's expensive/odd stuff I don't eat - and has about 10% off.

Some shops are good; most aren't. Very few are actually YS hotspots at all.

I bet I'd not even want most of that £60 basket of goods...for a variety of reasons... including not having a big enough freezer to freeze it all
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    One year I bought enough yellow stickered food that I saved enough to pay for the freezer that I had bought to keep it in :D
  • short_cake
    short_cake Posts: 67 Forumite
    a lot of shops now vary there times because people were getting wise to the 8pm reductions and were hanging about to get them , and the shop staff were getting hassle when A) they don't appear or B) some customer would complain it wasn't enough of a bargain

also shop staff were having food shoved in the faces and asked to reduce

If you see a bargain then get it, BUT you can never rely on it
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Congratulations LISA....only once have I managed to find clearance items at 2p and 4p etc. A while ago but it must have been £10 groceries for about 50p.
    You done well.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I always look, if there are any then it's expensive/odd stuff I don't eat - and has about 10% off.

Some shops are good; most aren't. Very few are actually YS hotspots at all.

I bet I'd not even want most of that £60 basket of goods...for a variety of reasons... including not having a big enough freezer to freeze it all
    This ^^^^

I wonder if Lisa would buy those items if they were full price
    I'd hazard a guess that she wouldn't.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I do wonder with some people they buy things because it has a YS and don't use it and bin it.

The other week, Asda had packs of diced onion down to 3p. I bought 12-14 packs. Though it says not to freeze, I have frozen them in the past without problems. It worked out 15p a kg.

Best YS a friend bought was in Waitrose, a venison haunch joint was £67 paid £6.20. She got this on 27/28 Dec a couple of years ago. Was frozen down for NYD roast.

I remember about 5 Christmases ago, around 22 Dec, I popped into Sainsburys for something. They had party food bits such as tempura prawns, mini pork pies, chicken satay etc down to 10p each from £2-£2.50. Had the following day's date on them. The code checker said customers wanted post dated Christmas dates on these. I bought about 14 boxes. Got home and took them out of the boxes to wrap in foil so used a third of the space.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I do wonder with some people they buy things because it has a YS and don't use it and bin it.

The other week, Asda had packs of diced onion down to 3p. I bought 12-14 packs. Though it says not to freeze, I have frozen them in the past without problems. It worked out 15p a kg.

Best YS a friend bought was in Waitrose, a venison haunch joint was £67 paid £6.20. She got this on 27/28 Dec a couple of years ago. Was frozen down for NYD roast.

I remember about 5 Christmases ago, around 22 Dec, I popped into Sainsburys for something. They had party food bits such as tempura prawns, mini pork pies, chicken satay etc down to 10p each from £2-£2.50. Had the following day's date on them. The code checker said customers wanted post dated Christmas dates on these. I bought about 14 boxes. Got home and took them out of the boxes to wrap in foil so used a third of the space.
    I think I'd have bought all those ^^^^ bargains, SM - especially the party food at Christmas time..

But 4 or 5 packs of giant 'muffins' or whatever they are - no thanks.

I notice there is some sausage there - I'd only buy if it was high meat content.

One of my recent bargains was 500gm of turkey breast meat, reduced from £3 per pack to 75p. I bought 4 packs.
    Now, I'll use this in all sorts of things, shepherd's pie, burgers etc so to me that's more a bargain than a basket-load of 'stuff'.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,113
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Certainly a good shop that.

The problem is that at my local supermarkets, it becomes a crowd event at 7pm. A bit of fighting, some swearing - it's the norm now. It's gone beyond ridiculous. They've introduced a queuing system at my local Asda with a 3 item limit.

Some people even record the events at their local:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLpucjrqzvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoYCgcYql_Q

The first clip is quite 'civilised' when you compare it to the 2nd clip.

The best of YS shopping is over - I remember the times you could buy 2 x 10p items that were on a BOGOF offer and the original price came off. Co-op and Tesco were good at that. Used to get £100+ shops for pennies (which included lots of full price items).

Ah the memories. :D
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure