Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I remember those boxes of sachets. I think they did a BBQ; a Lemon & garlic; and another I can't recall. But no, I've not seen them for ages.

Don't they do them in a tin now. Sure I have seen tins like that over the freezer section in my local recently. Not something I would use.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Beware the De Montbart champagne on special offer at Aldi just now. It is vile, sour rubbish. Aldi's usual own brand (I forget the name) is a much better buy if you are looking for a cheap champagne for a summer party.

Have you tried the basic Cotes du Rhone and the sub £5 Chilean Pinot Noir from Aldi, I think they are really good value compared to similar wines from the other supermarkets.
    It is the Estevez PN
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Aldi's own brand white chocolate 30p / 100g bar is neither use nor ornament. Lidl's own, and even Sainsburys Basic are the same price and yet perfectly edible. Not the best white chocolate I have ever tasted, but fine for melting / cooking / sneaking the odd square.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Beware the De Montbart champagne on special offer at Aldi just now. It is vile, sour rubbish. Aldi's usual own brand (I forget the name) is a much better buy if you are looking for a cheap champagne for a summer party.

I'd recommend Aldi's Cremant du Jura which is an excellent fizz made by the champagne method. I love the stuff, it's cooling in the fridge right now!:D

P.S. £7.49 IIRC.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I'd recommend Aldi's Cremant du Jura which is an excellent fizz made by the champagne method. I love the stuff, it's cooling in the fridge right now!:D

P.S. £7.49 IIRC.
    This has been recomended several times on the forum. Is it ever on offer?

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    This has been recomended several times on the forum. Is it ever on offer?

Probably by me.:o

I've never seen it on offer but, in my experience, Aldi rarely do offers on regular stock just markdown specials occasionally.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Options
    St Etienne vs Rheinbacher (Warwickshire brewed to German beer purity rules) 500ml canned lager. Rheinbacher wins with richer flavour and is less bloaty on the digestion, bargain at 75p but they're loose not in packs.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    Have you tried the basic Cotes du Rhone and the sub £5 Chilean Pinot Noir from Aldi, I think they are really good value compared to similar wines from the other supermarkets.
    It is the Estevez PN
    Neither available an my main store today, in fact only about 7 varieties of red were which is typical.
  • VeGGie-STyLe
    VeGGie-STyLe Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very pleased with a couple of avocados that I bought from Aldi at the weekend (in their Super Six offer... 79p each I think?). They were HUGE! Perfectly ripe, peeled like a dream, and tasted lovely :) They were almost the size of an aubergine I had in my fridge, so pretty good value for money!

413457359.jpg

413457360.jpg
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    ^^ I love the pic with the aubergine to drive the point home :D

Glad of the recommendation though, I'll give them a try. How I hate a woody avocado.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure