HDMI Signal splitter/Combiner?

Options
GunJack
GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
Ey up,

I find myself needing a 3-input to 1 output hdmi box, for connecting freeview box & tablet (intially) to a tv with one hdmi input. I've tried ths type:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Port-HDMI-Splitter-Cable-1080p-Multi-Switch-Switcher-HUB-Box-LCD-HDTV-PS3-Xbox/201912795378?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43781%26meid%3Df14fde5e5b46498b9fcb7b4fab0bc357%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D180963523306

but it's not passing the a/v through the splitter. If I connect either device direct to the tv they display fine (but no audio from the tablet, ok on my newer tv, but not on my dad's older one, b*gger). The audio I can get round with bluetooth/external speakers but really need a splitter that will function....

any ideas??
......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe because it only supports HDMI1.4b ??

Not sure, but as a wise man once said .. "Buy cheap - buy twice" ;)
  • GunJack
    edited 19 June 2017 at 3:13PM
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »

alternatively, buy cheap, get returns case opened ;) :rotfl:

I have a feeling that I may need a powered splitter, as both tablet and freeview box are possibly not (after any cable loss) putting out quite enough voltage/current to power the switch properly....

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • GunJack
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Could it be that the resolution of what you are attaching is not being recognised, is there some sort of auto setting on the tv, for example if the device feeds it 1080p but does not upscale 720p?

What happens when you select manually?

manual select on the tablet o/p makes no difference, older tv so no manual adjustment on there :( The tab plays fine minus audio when connected direct to the tv, it's just not through the splitter...

• emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    I've got an HDMI switch of the same design, although I paid more for it (maybe £10?), and it works fine with my Freeview box and my Freesat box.
    But it won't recognize my Amazon Fire box as being connected to it, so won't even manually switch to it.
    Almost certainly down to the power output from it.
  • GunJack
    Options
    emptybox wrote: »
    I've got an HDMI switch of the same design, although I paid more for it (maybe £10?), and it works fine with my Freeview box and my Freesat box.
    But it won't recognize my Amazon Fire box as being connected to it, so won't even manually switch to it.
    Almost certainly down to the power output from it.

Thanks, that's what I thought..... so I'll have to look for a powered type :(

• letsbehonest
    letsbehonest Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »

That was me many years ago
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family