Getting a refund

Hi,
I would be grateful for some advice. In May I paid an account for a friend. It was late at night and I did the payment online sitting in bed on my tablet. I couldn't have seen very well because instead of paying £89.66 I paid £8966. I contacted my bank the next day but it was too late - the payment had already gone through. I have a large overdraft on my account which I never use, and this must have been why it went through without a hitch. I contacted the company a few times and they said they would look into refunding me. Depending on who I spoke to they said it would take between 5 and 30 working days to do this. I don't have this in writing though and I still have not been repaid. I know that I can take this up with the financial ombudsman but I wondered if it was too soon to do this and if I could be reasonably expected to wait a certain length of time before doing so. I have searched online and can find lots of stories of overpaying credit cards etc. but nothing like what I have done. I surely can't be the only person ever to have done this - embarrassing as it is to admit! Has anything similar happened to you? Do you have any advice for me? Thanks

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    janet278 wrote: »
    I know that I can take this up with the financial ombudsman
    What makes you think that, you made the payment of you own free will. refunds can take upto 30 days, but you are relying on the other company refunding you.
  • janet278
    janet278 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    What makes you think that, you made the payment of you own free will. refunds can take upto 30 days, but you are relying on the other company refunding you.

The reason I think that is that I don't believe it's legal to keep money paid to you in error. Also, it has been over 30 days.
  • angryparcel
    edited 7 June 2017 at 8:14PM
    The reason I think that is that I don't believe it's legal to keep money paid to you in error. Also, it has been over 30 days.
    It is only ILLEGAL if they actually use that money. If you paid by card then goto your bank and start a chargeback

You paid them, it is only their goodwill if they returned the money to you as their is no law to force them to return it as it was you that paid them.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    As above ... paid online can mean a variety of different things. HOW did you pay? Debit card? Bank transfer?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It is only ILLEGAL if they actually use that money. If you paid by card then goto your bank and start a chargeback

You paid them, it is only their goodwill if they returned the money to you as their is no law to force them to return it as it was you that paid them.
    Well actually if they know it was a mistake (which they do) and still keep the money it's called theft by finding so it is very much illegal.

People have been convicted and jailed for the same thing, in fact there was one just a few weeks ago who got charged for finding a tenner in a shop and not handing it in. He knew it wasn't his but kept it anyway.
  • janet278
    bris wrote: »
    Well actually if they know it was a mistake (which they do) and still keep the money it's called theft by finding so it is very much illegal.

People have been convicted and jailed for the same thing, in fact there was one just a few weeks ago who got charged for finding a tenner in a shop and not handing it in. He knew it wasn't his but kept it anyway.

Finally someone with some knowledge of the matter responds! Thank you for this! I suspected it was illegal and I will persevere until I get the money back.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    DoaM wrote: »
    As above ... paid online can mean a variety of different things. HOW did you pay? Debit card? Bank transfer?

As you seemed to overlook it ....
  • janet278
    DoaM wrote: »
    As you seemed to overlook it ....

Paid online, by bank transfer.
  • angryparcel
    Paid online, by bank transfer.
    Opps a bank transfer is just like handing over cash, so you have no protection and just rely on the goodwill of the person who received the money to return it to you
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 June 2017 at 10:22PM
    I know that I can take this up with the financial ombudsman
    I doubt the FO can help. (see above post)

If they don't refund I suspect the only course of action you could try would be through the courts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure