Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card

Options

Comments

• planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My card came today also with a £2k limit - in comparison my Barclaycard and Amex have limits just above £10k.. What on earth is the point in issuing a card with such a low limit? What a waste of my time even applying.

i have generally found the HSBC stable to be tight limit-wise, even though i bank with them. i'm using M&S as an Amex back up for now, and there is at least a nice IFP.. but if i finish up with some spare cash i really don't need i might just clear it and close to tidy up.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Somebody on one of these forums advised me to look into it a few months ago and I couldn't find it so I assumed it had already discontinued back then..

Though as @PeacefulWaters says, it wouldn't surprise me either if Lloyd's discontinue them as well. TSB already did
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    planteria wrote: »
    how recent is that experience? in the rare instances that Amex isn't accepted, and i don't anticipate it in the couple of places that i know don't accept Amex, the transaction just doesn't complete and i whip out a Mastercard. no hassle at all.

The worst case example was a year or two ago, I can't remember which shop it was but I was there for like 5 minutes while they looked puzzled and ended up having to call a supervisor over. Granted, 9 times out of 10 it's just "huh it didn't work? Oh we don't take Amex" and having to get the other card out. It's still a bit of an embarrassing situation and in my experience (up to this year) maybe 30% of shops still don't accept it. Basically any small independent business, which there are a lot of around here. Big names all accept it.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cloudane wrote: »
    Big names all accept it.
    Not all big names accept Amex. B&Q don't accept it, either Screwfix or Toolstation (I can't remember which off the top of my head) don't accept it (but the other one does), Greggs don't accept it, Lidl doesn't accept it, The Works doesn't accept it, and that's just a few off the top of my head.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    Not all big names accept Amex. B&Q don't accept it, either Screwfix or Toolstation (I can't remember which off the top of my head) don't accept it (but the other one does), Greggs don't accept it, Lidl doesn't accept it, The Works doesn't accept it, and that's just a few off the top of my head.

It's true that Screwfix don't accept Amex direct, but they do accept PayPal, so I pay via PayPal and get my 1% CB until July anyway
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Odd, i haven't had a letter about this and i have the dual AMEX/Visa BC account at the mo (again an old Egg Money card transferred to BC when Egg went bust).
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,469 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mcpitman wrote: »
    Odd, i haven't had a letter about this and i have the dual AMEX/Visa BC account at the mo (again an old Egg Money card transferred to BC when Egg went bust).
    Nor me - I was transferred from Freedom Rewards to Cashback last July.
  • TheEffect
    TheEffect Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mcpitman wrote: »

I haven't either, however have seen confirmation on twitter that Barclaycard are ending their relationship with AMEX, so there's no chance this is for selective customers, rather than all.
  • mau408
    mau408 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 May 2017 at 11:01PM
    Options
    To Whom It May Concern
    I am writing in response to your letter dated May 2017 regarding my Barclaycard Cashback Credit Cards.
    My original credit card agreement was an Egg Mastercard before April 2008 which included a 1% cashback on up to £20,000 paid on its anniversary for cashback above £5. I wanted to be ‘rewarded for my spending’ and was under the impression that so long as I kept to my agreement terms and conditions I would be able to maintain a ‘reasonable 1% reward’.
    I believe Barclaycard took over in 2011 these agreements and they changed my card to Barclaycard World Mastercard. New customers had to pay a small fee each year but because I was an existing customer it was waived. It offered other insurance and protection products and included extended warranties and missed event cover and the 1% cashback was maintained.
    Then in April 2014 Barclaycard changed my agreement for ‘people who liked rewards’ to a 1% cashback AMEX card and a 0.5% cashback Visa card, with both cards counting as one account. Instead of waiting for the cashback to accumulate in March the cashback could be requested at any time. I believe Barclaycard stated "all customers will be better off", but I note that AMEX credit cards are less widely accepted than their Visa counterparts, and often a retailer wouldn’t accept Amex, meaning I had to use their Visa and earn the lower 0.5% cashback. This was a lie icon9.gif and I wasn’t better off. I didn’t receive a £50 incentive to try maintain my business, which I believe other card users have.
    Your most recent letter states that Barclaycards partnership with AMEX is coming to an end and I will stop earning 1% cashback on my AMEX spend. My account is to be transferred to a new cashback account with only 0.5% cashback on all spend which is not paid until July every year.
    Unless my 1% cashback reward is to be maintained I have no further reason to keep the account open and will on receipt of no valid reasons undergo closure of my account. I await your reply.

Anyone fancy sending something similar, so that maybe barclaycard will do something about the cashback reward?

I am of course awaiting a response.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Made 2 x £5 out of the Amex shop small promotion. I like the fact I can get the cashback monthly as a previous poster mentioned.

Might buy some gift cards/vouchers on Amex for places I shop regularly to get in before the deadline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure