Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Anon wrote: »
    Top tip? Enjoy, it is great :cool:! I particularly like the Star Wars features.

We have been for the past 4(?) years :cool: and are going again this summer (and the next!) as I have my T CC vouchers ready :D (go mid summer holidays in the first year, then in the first week or so of the summer holidays the following year - one year pass covers two summers ;). The T CC vouchers were £25 for an annual pass.

Getting there? If by car, when you get to Windsor, follow the alternative/scenic route - it is slightly further in distance terms but much quicker than the straight route due to less traffic (it is signposted). Get there before opening time so that you are through the gates and in the holding area ready for park/rides opening.

It is worth planning your day if there are specific rides that you want to go on as if it is really busy then you can be waiting a looooonnnnngggg time for rides, so head to the ones you want quickly when the park opens and then go on the others. Despite how big it looks, once you get your bearings you can get round the site very quickly.

They offer refillable cups for around £7.50 - worth buying 1 of these (or 2 if you are feeling generous!) as they then last all day with multiple free refills (if your gang are prepared to share, then one cup will be fine for the family as you can refill all day - or all season if you return later in the year ;).

They offer kids eat free with an adult in some restaurants from around 3pm if I recall correctly (may be annual pass only though, so may not be of use to you - worth checking). The pizza restaurant is good value anyway as it is unlimited pizza and pasta (for kids and adults with big appetites - it also includes unlimited drinks). The burger restaurant near the log flume (if kids eating free with a paying adult) is also good value.

Make sure you take in a big packed lunches including snacks etc as prices are not cheap (and you build up a good appetite when walking around all day). If hot, make sure you have sunscreen and hats etc (and if thinking about going in the Duplo Valley - if the water features are open - or on the log flume/canyon ride be prepared to get wet, so take waterproofs/pack-a-macs from the pound shop etc as again ridiculously priced on site!)

Finally, in terms of buying Lego, they had a reduced/offers section above the Star Wars shop which has always been worth a visit (otherwise the prices are generally RRP and can be bought cheaper from Amazon and elsewhere - so have the conversation beforehand about if there is a specific set they want, to check the price there then buy online if cheaper!).

Staying over? We have found Slough Travelodge or Terminal 5 at Heathrow are the best value every year so far and close enough for the commute in..

HTH

Anon

And if you are using Travelodge google for discount codes first.
    Thats what I was doing this morning, I went for the saver rate and the discount code took 15% off taking £7.50 off :j
    So thats paid for a trip to Greggs for breakfast :)
    I went through Quidco but I don't think it will track, only 4% anyway
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    From darkside

Double discount applying on orders over £100 using code eg Chicco Next to me was £188.99 now £148.99 delivered with discount & code more in post @ Babies R Us
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • bubbs
    From darkside

Sweet shop favourites £1.00 instore @ Tesco
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • juju17 wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud.....the walkers offer....I recall when they did the £3 lunch promotion, people buying the boxes of walkers from HB? or somewhere similar....wonder if this might be worthwhile with this promo, and if the boxes are on offer?
    Fulton foods
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mhoc wrote: »
    And if you are using Travelodge google for discount codes first.
    Thats what I was doing this morning, I went for the saver rate and the discount code took 15% off taking £7.50 off :j
    So thats paid for a trip to Greggs for breakfast :)
    I went through Quidco but I don't think it will track, only 4% anyway

True - though Travelodge breakfast buffet is excellent value when kids go free :D.

Also tcb and qc.

Anon
  • bubbs
    True - though Travelodge breakfast buffet is excellent value when kids go free :D.

Also tcb and qc.

Anon

Is that not premier?
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    bubbs wrote: »
    From darkside

Double discount applying on orders over £100 using code eg Chicco Next to me was £188.99 now £148.99 delivered with discount & code more in post @ Babies R Us

:eek::eek: No wonder you haven't lost.

Seriously though, you have done seriously well so far, sometimes things just plateau for a while, don't lose heart.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bubbs wrote: »
    Is that not premier?

As well - we have only stayed at Travelodge and 2 kids free with each adult.

Hth

Anon
  • mhoc
    and in other news ... Well something major is occuring but I am not going to jinx it by announcing anything yet, far too soon ...

:eek: No no one is pregnant, put the knitting needles down and stand well away from them. It will be years before any knitting is needed :rotfl:

We have a quiet house again this evening and tomorrow but hoards of visitors coming for the weekend in dribs and drabs so Oh on Friday night is boiling vats of mince, onions and tatties to feed the troops as they roll homewards ...

Errant son has mostly been preparing his presentation this week for his interview and inbetween times there has been a lot of wood sawing in his van - just don't ask ...

He went off this afternoon as its a 3 hour drive across into central Wales and he is staying overnight at the centre in the staff accommodation. Its somewhere where he did some work experience, twice actually about 7 years ago in early college years. The manager recognised him from his application - not sure if this is a good or bad thing. There is one other candidate being interviewed tomorrow as well - separate interviews but the presentations they will do one after another and then there will be some site tours etc.
    The odd thing is this other chap works for the original company that Errant son worked for after uni except a different campus.
    So the other chap has the edge in that he is local, lives in Wales, possibly older but he might not have the breath of experience that Errant son has had so we will have to see what happens ...
    In the job description the company said they have a start date of early May - I don't think this is even possible because it takes time for references to be checked and then there is the CRB checks (I know these are done online now and called something else ...)
    And most people have to get a months notice from their current jobs.
    Company also said pay is 'industry standard' - a right how long is a piece of string question, I suppose its as little as they can get away with paying.
    It depends on how desperate they are I suppose but Errant son could start early May - no idea about the accommodation issue though ...
    I suppose there is always the van.

Also middle sister had her op yesterday, first on the list, all done very quickly, 3 cups of tea and then sent home - no drains thankfully and no district nurse visits but she has an appointment to see her next week. Today started well but went downhill a bit - combination of the anaesthetic wearing off and several sleepless nights but she has taken a few of the pain killers they sent her home with.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • mhoc

Also tcb and qc.

Anon

Yes, I wish this had been the offer when our gang were little - our three were constantly hungry and a travelodge or premier inn breakfast would have been a huge help ...:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure