Reclaiming VAT on front door

Options

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Talk about over analysing....
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    TBH if i was paying half for something i would want a copy of the original invoices to ensure that i wasn't getting ripped off by the other party.

Landlord is entitled to see it but strictly speaking, if the invoice is made out to OP, they should either raise an invoice for half the amount for the landlord or more simply, provide the landlord with a receipt for the cost.

As I said in my first post, VAT is probably a read herring here, landlord probably just wants to offset the cost against income tax. If this was about VAT then Private Church has pretty much summed it up - even if landlord was VAT registered and could legitimately reclaim any VAT, they would require a valid VAT invoice in their name, which OP cannot provide as they are not VAT registered, it would have been better for landlord to purchase door from supplier and get a VAT invoice in their name and have OP reimburse *him* for half the amount.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    John 11:35
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may be better for you to give the landlord half the door then Inheritance Tax won't be an issue if you live 7 or more years.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The man who did the work sent you an invoice . He may or may not be VAT registered and that makes no difference because you are not vat registered or a business customer so you just pay the total amount he invoiced you for.

... The VAT doesn't come into the equation at all because you aren't registered for vat.
    But if the tradesman's not VAT-registered, why is he adding it to the bill?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No mention of the builder adding VAT onto the bill.

Simple attitude from the LL.
    You don't provide me proof of what you spent, I don't pay. Don't forget that if you take your door with you when you leave then you need to fit the old door back in its place. End of story
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...if you take your door with you when you leave then you need....

...to have the original receipt to prove to HMRC the value of goods that you are taking overseas with you? :)
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    ...to have the original receipt to prove to HMRC the value of goods that you are taking overseas with you? :)
    ??

Where is there mention of the OP going overseas?
  • tired_dad
    tired_dad Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bizzare thread.

The fact that the flat is rented is irrelevant. The fact that the owner is a landlord is irrelevant.

You paid for a door. You have an invoice. You give him a copy of the invoice (which confirms the total cost you have paid).

Thus he knows the exact amount to pay you (half the paid invoice).

Yes, for a landlord this would count as wear and tear expense. This has no relevance to you as you are not renting out your property.

We share certain communal costs with several adjacent houses and if anyone pays for a job, the invoice gets shown to everyone so we can pay our share
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    No mention of the builder adding VAT onto the bill.
    It's in the OP!
    mexicano wrote: »
    ... he now wants the invoice for his records and "tax purposes"
    Does it mean that he can claim back the VAT on the door?
    If there was no VAT on the bill, do you think he'd be starting a thread on reclaiming it??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure