first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    zagfles wrote: »
    I don't need an extra legroom seat. Would you give up your seat on a bus to a disabled pensioner, or would you refuse on the grounds you'd paid but they hadn't (as they have a free bus pass)?

Personally if someone needs my seat more than I do, I'd happily swap, regardless of who paid what. Whether that be someone who's tall, fat, old, disabled, or with children.

I think there is a major difference between a £1.50 bus fare and paying nearly £100 for seats on an airplane.
    Also tall people was just rock up to the aircraft and demand the premium seats,infact it would be farcical watching them claim " i am taller than you so i want the seat ".
    It is also picking on small people:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Ganga wrote: »
    I think there is a major difference between a £1.50 bus fare and paying nearly £100 for seats on an airplane.
    What airline charges £100 to reserve a seat?? You can't count the ticket price as everyone pays that.

And have you been on a bus recently? £1.50 wouldn't get you to the next stop these days. Last time I was on a bus it was £4.50 for a return, for a 20 minute journey. Not vastly different from airlines' seat reservation charge, in fact more per minute!
    Also tall people was just rock up to the aircraft and demand the premium seats,infact it would be farcical watching them claim " i am taller than you so i want the seat ".
    It is also picking on small people:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Yeah it must be hilarious watching others struggle when you could help them but don't.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    What airline charges £100 to reserve a seat??

BA charges £99 to reserve some seats. See post 43 above.
  • zagfles
    Nick_C wrote: »
    BA charges £99 to reserve some seats. See post 43 above.
    OK, but that's business prices which are a rip-off - and I don't think even a basketball pro would have legroom problem in business!

The issue arises more on budget airlines & charters, where the seat reservation charge is certainly comparable to a bus fare per hour travelling time.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What airline charges £100 to reserve a seat?? You can't count the ticket price as everyone pays that.

And have you been on a bus recently? £1.50 wouldn't get you to the next stop these days. Last time I was on a bus it was £4.50 for a return, for a 20 minute journey. Not vastly different from airlines' seat reservation charge, in fact more per minute!
    Yeah it must be hilarious watching others struggle when you could help them but don't.

Thomson short haul £30 each return
    Thomson long haul £50 each return

As for the bus fares,here in the NE we can travel a long way for £1.50
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Nick_C
    OK, but that's business prices which are a rip-off

Its BA who are the rip off. I don't know of any other airline that charges Business Class passengers for reserving a seat. Certainly its free on AA (and a much better product).
  • zagfles
    Ganga wrote: »
    Thomson short haul £30 each return
    Thomson long haul £50 each return
    OK, so on my 4.5 hour flight to the Canaries, 9 hours return, that would have been £3.33 per hour.

A 20 min bus journey that cost £1.50 is a higher price per hour.

So the prices are comparable. So no excuse not to give up your seat for someone who needs it more ;)
  • zagfles
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Its BA who are the rip off. I don't know of any other airline that charges Business Class passengers for reserving a seat. Certainly its free on AA (and a much better product).
    IME even in economy most scheduled airlines don't charge for seat reservation. It's mainly budget and charters.
  • BUKI_2
    BUKI_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Hello all

woww... I see a lot of replies / opinions and even some "angry" comments.
    People, do not simply judge anybody without knowing some other facts.

I got this holiday as a sponsor (would not efford it on my own)
    secondly, the booking had been done by somebody else (as I was not able to due ...)

the person who did the booking was not the sponsor, he thought that the checking
    can be done at later stage, THOUGH; he confirmed that at the booking stage only a few seats were available for selection and those ones were not adjecent to each other but rather sepeare.

His logical thinking was: why paying more when ur not sitting close to each other anyways??

So, then I login to go the onlin checking 6 days before the flight, and boooooooom, error appeared with unable to checkin please go to the desk bla bla bla. When speaking / chating with the online agaent they said that the online checking is limited (of which I was not aware of) and is now closed!!

Eitherway, at the time he said there are only 2 seats but again not adjecent!
    So, I said no I rather will speak to the DESK people ... of which I think might not be worth it.

But yeh, my question here was about whether somebody been through same issues
    and how they overcome this at the airport - or possibly asking the stewardess if they can allocate us a seat together - in hope there might be some "single persons willing to give up their seat??

So yeh, that is all I can do now by the looks of it.

WHY DID I NOT PAY FOR THE EXTREA ROOM KNOWING MY WIFE IS AFFRAID OF FLYING??

My wife is not mentally ill , she simply is scared of hight and would make her feel much safer with me closer to her. Again, why paying for the silly £70 which is peanut to some of you - and we are still siting apart? would you pay it if you would sit apart? surely not!!

my flight is on 20th now, and hoping the seating allocation won't be an issue.
    We plan to be there from 7am and be the first one for the checkin.
  • Nick_C
    edited 19 April 2017 at 10:43AM
    BUKI wrote: »
    my flight is on 20th now, and hoping the seating allocation won't be an issue.
    We plan to be there from 7am and be the first one for the checkin.

Don't know where you are flying from, but be aware that IF you are flying from Gatwick and your flight is before 12:00 then you can check in the day before, so you won't be first in the queue at 7am on the day of departure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure