Martin Lewis: eight post-Brexit travel urgent need-to-knows

Comments

• What I want to know is when can I be guaranteed a blue passport instead of the iccky EU one?
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In other words Martin dosent know any more than anyone else using phrases like "may" or "it possible that " are meaningless.
  • Just like the government then!
  • I think there is an 8th issue for UK travellers going abroad after Brexit. Following advice from our vet late last year that post-Brexit pets may need a European Health Certificate I went to get our dog's blood tested today to ensure travel for our dog with us on holiday to France in June. However whilst 4 months was the suggested time needed I learnt that the rabies shot our dog received last year will likely not allow dog to pass the rabies blood test and a fresh vaccination was needed. This adds another 30 days to the timeline. This has now jeopardised our holiday. Pets and Brexit is a real issue because even with a deal it is possible you may have to go through the EHC process. Also the Government websites are really not too clear about whether after March 29 UK travellers with pets going into the EU will have to wait 3 months before pets can travel.
  • With respect to car hire prices increasing as you get nearer the date, this may be true for many companies but, in my experience, not for Goldcar in Malaga!

I now regularly get onto their site a few months before my trip and book. Then six weeks later, I go on again and find the price has dropped considerably, so I cancel and rebook. And a week before I go, I check again, and always the price has dropped further, so I cancel and book again. (You get free cancellation with them).

On my last trip in January, I had a Ford Focus (Group D) with 3000 miles on the clock for eight days for €9.95 - that's not per day, but for the whole period! I have used this company half a dozen times in the last couple of years and - so far! - have had no problems at all, other than the hanging around waiting to get the car.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 March 2019 at 12:22PM
    My passport was renewed in August 2009 but is (currently) valid until April 2020 because of the added months..
    But reading the article and Gov.Uk website says that, in a no deal scenario, it won't be valid for my holiday this June 2019. So I have to renew asap
    Fair enuf ,but my question is on renewal will I lose out on the extra months? ie renew say May will it only be valid til May 2029 ??

EDIT Found out the answer to my own question - the Govt have stopped adding on the unexpired months to new passport validity ,so I (in common with many who renewed in 2009) will be losing out on ~ 1 year's validity if we leave without a deal:(
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The passport validity issue will be with us for the next ten years. eg.

414157789.jpg

Ignoring complicated wording, the rule is
    "Your passport must be less than 9 years and 6 months old when you travel to the EU"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure