Martin Lewis to sue Facebook for defamation in groundbreaking campaigning lawsuit

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• FB allowing fraudsters to get away with using Martin's image to take money from those who aren't technologically savvy enough to realise it's a scam is terrible and I can understand why he has felt the need to take the step he has to protect them, himself and, by extension, MSE.

Martin has considerable clout, so FB aren't just going to be able to roll their eyes and try to explain this all away. All the very best to him! :T
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Dont understand why Dragons den hasnt also with that fake bitcoin ad that FB keeps running.
  • All this face recognition stuff and they still can't weed out fake ads. Saw same style ad on yahoo today.
    Aid Renegade
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Very pleased to her this.

It is about time these companies were held to account.

Well done Martin Lewis!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Surely everyone will support Martin in his action.

Is it not possible to also sue some of the scammers?

Fake Adverts like 'Fake News' are the scourge of our time.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Is he going to bring the hammer down on Yahoo as well?

I'm forever seeing his face on all sorts of banner ads when I open my email page.
  • Is he going to bring the hammer down on Yahoo as well?

I'm forever seeing his face on all sorts of banner ads when I open my email page.

Exactly, they've been appearing on Yahoo for ages as "sponsored" links.
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's all well and good Facebook saying that if you see an advert then let us know and we'll remove it, but who realistically has the resources to scour Facebook continually looking for fake adds ?? That's a full time job for a team of people. And even then, they'll just pop up again somewhere else.

Surely the onus should be on Facebook to screen the adds before publishing them (for that is what they are doing) and not put the onus on the injured party to report.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This news story is running in the press, on the Guardian ad supported mobile app it had it with an advert in - and guess what that advert was for ... "save £1000's based on this Martin Lewis article" seems to be a similarly fake ad.
    Took a screenshot
    2d0m100.jpg
  • nic_c wrote: »
    This news story is running in the press, on the Guardian ad supported mobile app it had it with an advert in - and guess what that advert was for ... "save £1000's based on this Martin Lewis article" seems to be a similarly fake ad.
    Took a screenshot
    2d0m100.jpg

Martin has pointed this out to The Guardian and Sky by tweet this morning...

Bit awkward for them. :D
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business