PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Step / stair cracks in outer wall

Options
Hi there

I viewed a house yesterday and spotted cracking underneath the window - diagonal stair cracks from each corner of the window running down towards the centre (upside down triangle), illustrated in the attached photos. I'd say they have reasonable width (although I wasn't able to measure).

It is a Victorian end-terrace in south Manchester (I'm afraid I'm uncertain of the type of ground or how to find out). I couldn't see any signs of cracking elsewhere. The brickwork directly above and below the window appears to me newer than the rest, if relevant.

Is anyone able to provide an opinion based on these photos? Level of seriousness? My online research is giving mixed results. I recently pulled out of another property purchase following two surveys that scared me enough to walk away so I'm keen for an opinion prior to potentially forking out for another survey.

Many thanks, folks.

Links to photos below. I cannot post link as a new member so anyone who is able to fix would be greatly appreciated.

diynot.com/diy/attachments/img_8976-jpg.156625

diynot.com/diy/attachments/img_8977-jpg.156626

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How long has that replacement window been there?

Why is the top of the window bowing slightly?
    Does the replacement window properly support the weight of the brickwork above it without a lintel?
    Why has brickwork been replaced (both above and below)? Yet nolintel added?

And what's going on at the foot of the wall where it meets the ground? It appears there's a gap between the botom row of bricks and whatever is below ground (further brickwork, foundation whatever.)........
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How does the asking price compare to other properties. Is this a cheap house for the area?
  • InThrees
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    How long has that replacement window been there?

Why is the top of the window bowing slightly?
    Does the replacement window properly support the weight of the brickwork above it without a lintel?
    Why has brickwork been replaced (both above and below)? Yet no lintel added?

And what's going on at the foot of the wall where it meets the ground? It appears there's a gap between the botom row of bricks and whatever is below ground (further brickwork, foundation whatever.)........

Hi GM

Thanks, great questions. I can't answer any of them but definite food for thought! Will also obtain answers if I progress with making an offer. I also hadn't spotted the gap at ground level - looks like a large horizontal crack?
  • InThrees
    InThrees Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 10:08PM
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    How does the asking price compare to other properties. Is this a cheap house for the area?

Thanks for fixing my URLs. It seems a good price but requires a great deal of modernisation. It is new to market and I don't think the price is unduly low. Perhaps I'm being harsh but do estate agents spot this kind of thing?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    InThrees wrote: »
    Thanks for fixing my URLs. It seems a good price but requires a great deal of modernisation. It is new to market and I don't think the price is unduly low. Perhaps I'm being harsh but do estate agents spot this kind of thing?

The only reason I asked this is because you said that you had withdrawn from another purchase after the survey and it makes me think that you are looking at houses that appear to be "good value for money." Either they are bigger and cheaper or in a nice area and cheaper. The point is that there are no properties that are "good value for money." They are cheaper because there is something wrong with them. That something that is wrong with them could end up costing you more to fix than it would cost you to buy a property that is more expensive to start with but is also in much better condition.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As its Victorian the property either had mullions or substantial timber window frames with a central sash window when built. These provided the support to the brickwork above. Have a look at neighbouring houses and see if there are any still in the original form.

The uPVC frame isn't strong enough to take the weight leading to the problem you can see. It won't be cheap to sort out.
  • InThrees
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    The only reason I asked this is because you said that you had withdrawn from another purchase after the survey and it makes me think that you are looking at houses that appear to be "good value for money." Either they are bigger and cheaper or in a nice area and cheaper. The point is that there are no properties that are "good value for money." They are cheaper because there is something wrong with them. That something that is wrong with them could end up costing you more to fix than it would cost you to buy a property that is more expensive to start with but is also in much better condition.

I see what you are getting at. However, what we regarded as “wrong” with the property was the requirement for redecoration, new flooring, new kitchen, new bathroom and some rewiring. And yes, I realise there will be some ‘surprises’ too.

We can handle these and can deal with at our own pace. In other words we want a house we can do up ourselves, with the advantage of paying a lower price. Quite normal I thought. We draw the line, however, at major structural issues or movement and hoped the price reflected the modernisation required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure