PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord, mortgage arrears, reposession

Comments

• I am paying my rent and have never not paid my rent. I mentioned I considered not paying it if the landlord has defaulted and gone into reposession if it would save me and give me some extra money for a deposit on a new property.

I'm being bullied on here and treated like a criminal when I haven't even don't anything wrong.

Please just help with the issue at hand. I already said if you're just looking to make yourself feel better at my expense by treating me badly please do not respond.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Smoothape wrote: »
    I'm being bullied on here and treated like a criminal when I haven't even don't anything wrong.

Please just help with the issue at hand. I already said if you're just looking to make yourself feel better at my expense by treating me badly please do not respond.
    As far as I can see, everyone in this thread is giving you advice which is in your best interests, and nobody is "bullying" you or treating you like a criminal.

If you need other support, have a look at the links here: https://www.samh.org.uk/find-help
  • Smoothape wrote: »
    I am paying my rent and have never not paid my rent. I mentioned I considered not paying it if the landlord has defaulted and gone into reposession if it would save me and give me some extra money for a deposit on a new property.

People are kindly taking the time to give you advice, not bullying you.

You have been incredibly insulting about people in financial trouble yet seem to want to not have the same perspective for your own situation, which is perhaps why people aren’t sugar coating their posts.

What else do you want to be told? Keep paying your rent and save up some emergency money.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Repossession does not result in eviction.

Even if the property is repossessed, your tenancy remains valid.

If the property is repossessed, you would simply be asked to start paying rent to the new owner rather than to the old owner.
  • No one has given me any advice. They're just bringing up a thread I made a long time ago about an issue that was resolved and not even my fault about "late rental payment" which wasn't even late rental payment. If my current rental agency was satisfied that I wasn't paying rent late then that's it sorted. Have no idea why you people are obsessing about it an mentioning it in every post I make. It is a form of bullying and harassment despite what you say.

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am paying my rent and have never not paid my rent. I mentioned I considered not paying it if the landlord has defaulted and gone into reposession if it would save me and give me some extra money for a deposit on a new property.

What did the letter that you got say about what happens to the tenant if the home is repossessed. You say you had a letter about this. There should be information in there about what happens to you if the house is repossessed so what did it say?

You say that people aren't helping you but this is the second time I have asked you what the letter that you opened on this subject said about it. You still haven't answered. If you had a letter that was addressed to you which you opened that was about the house being repossessed it means that the lender knows that there is a tenant living in the property and they will be able to give you advice.
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You’re not answering the question as to whether or not the letter was addressed to you? If it wasn’t, have you forwarded it to your landlord? If not, you may be committing a crime. You also need to stop opening post that isn’t yours.

As has been said, you need to keep paying the rent. If your landlord is in breach of his mortgage contract then that’s an issue for him. It doesn’t give you the right to breach your tenancy. As has also been said, if the mortgage company do go into possession then they will become your landlord and have to follow the correct procedure to evict you, shouldnthey wish to do so. They may decide, depending on the rent you pay and the potential yield and the type of property that they will sell it with you remaining as a sitting tenant.

You could always send the bank a quick letter saying you’re aware the landlord has been having problems and letting them know that you are in occupation of the property. It won’t stop anything but at least they’ll know of your existence.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    No one has given me any advice. They're just bringing up a thread I made a long time ago about an issue that was resolved and not even my fault about "late rental payment" which wasn't even late rental payment. If my current rental agency was satisfied that I wasn't paying rent late then that's it sorted. Have no idea why you people are obsessing about it an mentioning it in every post I make. It is a form of bullying and harassment despite what you say.

Yes, the words "Landlord" and "repossession" can trigger strong emotions in some people. If your landlord can`t get their act together and pay their debts, just give notice and move out, it isn`t worth the stress of going through all the drama with them as their lender takes the house back.
  • The letter was addressed "to the occupier (or any tenant)"

I'll call shelter today including the rental agency and contact the lender as well.
  • Smoothape wrote: »
    No one has given me any advice.
    Yes they have. They have advised you to continue paying your rent, and have gone into quite a bit of detail why.

They have advised you that even if your current landlord defaults and ends up being repossessed, all that happens is that the lender becomes your landlord with all the obligations and commitments that entails.

If that's not advice, then it's not at all clear what you're looking for.

If you consider your current rental situation to be intolerable, and you're not comfortable with the uncertainly surrounding your landlord's situation, then the best thing you can do is serve notice and move.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback