PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Plug Sockets when moving house

Comments

• jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    given we spent around £500 on these we would like the chance to take them.

You must have a very large house. 20 double sockets and 15 switches (which is what we have in our 3 bedroom house) should work out at about £175 from a sensible supplier.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 9:15AM
    Personally I don't like metal switces/sockets, and if I was buying a house that had them would be changing them asap.
    Nothing to lose by checking with your buyer, they might be thrilled to have you do all the work of replacing them, I would be!

This.

I would be absolutely delighted if you took them away.
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    This.

I would absolutely delighted if you took them away.
    Me too - but I would also be expecting to receive a copy of the electrician's certificate.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 8:39AM
    We took a set of curtains that we wanted to keep, and left another set up.

The inventory only said 'curtains'. It did not say those particular curtains . We did email the buyer and told them what we had done, we never heard anything from them. (Maybe they preferred the ones we left! ).

AFAIK, we did nothing wrong.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sevenhills wrote: »
    So you will be giving the buyer the completed Electrical Installation Certificates (EICs).

Not required for a simple socket faceplate change.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OP; you can afford to move, but you can't afford to buy new chrome faceplates at your new home? Is that what's behind this?

Seriously, I think you're leaving it WAY too late to be raising this. You should have decided this far earlier in the process, and flagged it up to the buyer then.

Once again, a situation where the written form of offer with standard clauses in Scotland clarifies matters far earlier. Whether or not you left them would have been part of the contract at offer/acceptance stage in a Scottish sale.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Personally I would think it's really mean of you. Not so much 'nasty', more 'tight'. Sorry!

I'd be seriously peed off! For me, it's up there with people who take the carpets!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Id like it to wanting to take a newly fitted kitchen with you. It will effect the value of the property. A switch is a switch, a kitchen is a kitchen. Some kitchens you pay more for than others likewise with the sockets that you choose to go out and replace, i mean, what was wrong with the white ones you had?

Considering you can pay £10+ per chrome switch, as opposed to £1 for the palstic ones, id be making sure they where still there.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Personally I would think it's really mean of you. Not so much 'nasty', more 'tight'. Sorry!

I'd be seriously peed off! For me, it's up there with people who take the carpets!

As others have said, they are so much a matter of taste that it would only be even remotely mean if the buyers loved them.

In the OPs position I would ask the buyers permission to replace with white and accept their decision.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    As others have said, they are so much a matter of taste that it would only be even remotely mean if the buyers loved them.

In the OPs position I would ask the buyers permission to replace with white and accept their decision.
    Fair point - was presuming it was without telling the buyers. If they ask first, that's different. But if it was me, I'd want them to stay.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport