Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my friend he's underpaid me?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I often buy gig tickets for my friend and he pays me back, but not always the full amount. Eg, he gave me £25 for a £28 ticket. I wouldn't mind if it was a one-off, but it's happened a few times now. Should I say something?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Skibunny40
    Skibunny40 Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Umm, yes.... he gives you £25 & you say, "actually it's £28, see where it says £28 on the ticket"...really not a dilemma
  • Minky_2
    Minky_2 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This happened to me alot of the time as i organise most of the events out. I now use the Splitwise app and my friends all have it too now so there is always a running...and correct...total of what they owe me. If they only pay £25 it will still show the £3 as outstanding and the app reminds them rather than me being uncomfortable having to chase it.
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    So why are you asking the question ?

Perhaps your friend has seen your lack of self-confidence and inability to assert yourself - is it really that he wants cheap tickets ?

Get real . Either tell him he owes or carry on resenting him - what kind of a 'friend' is that - and what kind of relationship do you really have with him ?

Ask yourself - where is the balance of power between you ?
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I agree with those who say this is not a dilemma.
    Show him the price on the ticket or receipt and ask for the right money.
    If that breaks your friendship he was not a real friend anyway.
    Who really dreamed up this question ?
  • Minky wrote: »
    This happened to me alot of the time as i organise most of the events out. I now use the Splitwise app and my friends all have it too now so there is always a running...and correct...total of what they owe me. If they only pay £25 it will still show the £3 as outstanding and the app reminds them rather than me being uncomfortable having to chase it.
    Thanks, I didn't know about Splitwise, I'm about to do some group bookings so will look into this.
  • Just tell him straight. Your friend is taking the pi$$
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    And if the guy doen't like messing with small change, no problem, just tell him that you'll happily accept a round £30 for the ticket.

Better still, ask him to pay in advance.
  • Dean000000
    Dean000000 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Or just tell him....it’s £28 quid you scheister....so the first pint is on you....

With a smile...

Don’t get why everyone gets so irate about £3 here if there with friends....

Balence it off with other stuff in jest...

Kebabs on you tonight Steve....;)
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Just tell him straight. Your friend is taking the pi$$
    Surely he is taking the pi££ ?
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Was the extra £3 a booking fee that's not printed on ticket so easily overlooked?

Just remind him.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure