Anyone thinking of retiring abroad or long winter holidays abroad?

Options
After a lovely holiday in Portugal recently was surprised at how cheap things were over there. One of my friends knows someone who has sold up and retired to inland Portugal and say prices of houses and cost of living much cheaper than UK.
I can certainly see the advantages of being in a sunny climate but not sure I could upsticks and live permanently abroad. Plus not sure of effects of Brexit.
Though certainly holidays for a month or two over winter appeal, not necessarily to only Portugal.
Was looking on the jet2holidays site and prices for a one bedroom apartment for in excess of 28 nights start from approx £650 each.
Anyone else do this or considering it as part of their retirement strategy?
Would certainly save on the winter heating bills.
Money SPENDING Expert

Comments

• happyandcontented
    Options
    bluenose1 wrote: »
    After a lovely holiday in Portugal recently was surprised at how cheap things were over there. One of my friends knows someone who has sold up and retired to inland Portugal and say prices of houses and cost of living much cheaper than UK.
    I can certainly see the advantages of being in a sunny climate but not sure I could upsticks and live permanently abroad. Plus not sure of effects of Brexit.
    Though certainly holidays for a month or two over winter appeal, not necessarily to only Portugal.
    Was looking on the jet2holidays site and prices for a one bedroom apartment for in excess of 28 nights start from approx £650 each.
    Anyone else do this or considering it as part of their retirement strategy?
    Would certainly save on the winter heating bills.

Yes, we are. We had a property in Italy but sold it as we got a bit bored with going to the same place every time we went away and it felt a bit extravaagant to leave it empty whilst we went elsewhere. So our plan is to do as you outline so that we can get to as many places as possible whilst we are still able. France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece will all be on our list. I am looking forward to the planning!
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Malta used to be the place to go for mega-cheap extended winter breaks. Not sure how costs compare nowadays - anyone been recently?
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think you can get your SIPP paid tax free if you buy a house in Portugal, I may be wrong.

But bailing out for the winter months is something we are considering.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My dog sitter had two homes, one in Spain and one here. They spent 6 months in each. Spain over the winter, back here for 6 months in the summer to catch up with friends and family, and do some dog boarding for their doggy fix. Seemed to work ok for them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Malta used to be the place to go for mega-cheap extended winter breaks. Not sure how costs compare nowadays - anyone been recently?

No, but the Post Office do a useful comparison of holiday costs.
    https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/jcr:5bd2b531-bab7-414c-9582-1493f9af7da8/Holiday_costs_barometer_2018_tables.pdf

Malta was 10th on the list.
    Bulgaria is the cheapest, but I don't fancy there. 17 years ago my husband nearly persuaded me it was a good idea to buy an apartment out there which hadn't even been built. We had never even been and really came close to buying. :eek:
    Money SPENDING Expert

• bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I expect BREXIT will complicate retiring to the Continent. Access to and paying for health care is always a big issue as people age and with the UK outside the EU the reciprocal health care arrangements might change. I'm sure that if you have enough money it will still be possible.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want a variation on inland Portugal try a holiday on Madeira. Lovely spot to visit. Good value in January once the New Year celebrations are over.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It seems now that anywhere in Europe thats reasonably warm in winter can be quite expensive, and as already mentioned we will have to see what happens later this year with Brexit.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My father in law lives in Tenerife, he loves it, we are seriously considering buying out there too. When I said we'd winter there and live UK in the summer he laughed and said we'd become Swallows- apparently that is what the ex-pat community call Brits who winter there!

He has found the healthcare there superb, he has chosen to live in an apartment block that houses a mixture of Spanish, Brits and Irish nationals, integration with the local community has been relatively simple and cost of living cheaper than the UK.

He did warn me that some people treat living out there as a permanent holiday with excessive eating and drinking being the biggest issue, he told me that the danger is you go out every night and it can be a slippery slope. Self control and moderation are the key needs, there are lots of things to do and clubs to join.

Oh and he complained bitterly about the cold, wrapped up warm in jumper and coat, while we walked about in T-shirt and shorts!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Some people spend the winter in Goa.
    It's the warm, sunny season from November so a 6 month visa gives you pretty cheap living for the whole of our winter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure