PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was away the last week in March and left some ££ with the family which they said "didn't last 5 minutes" so maybe I'm better at this than I thought (I left loads in the freezer and plenty of cash for topups)! So abandoning March and will try for £400 in April (5 weekends so added a bit to my usual target).
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've just blown my weekly budget of £35 out of the water with an eye watering spend of £58.26. The overspend is because of friends coming to stay this weekend so: three bottles of beer, three bottles of cider, one wine and some soft drinks along with nibbles and the ingredients for cooked breakfasts had to be added onto the list.

Once the friends have gone my liver will probably need a detox so in order to come in on budget for the month there will be no more alcohol or nibbles. There should also be some left overs so I'm hopeful that clawing back £23.26 will be very doable!
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 April 2018 at 9:07PM
    Bizarrely today was an accidental NSD; I don't think I've bought any food or anything else that'd come out of our grocery budget since the £1 on Saturday! I should have gone to the county town market this morning, but it was tipping down & I was running late thanks to hordes of soggy grockles - sorry, tourists - hauling large caravans round the narrow, twisty A road, trying to escape the incessant downpours - don't blame them!

I'll have a good rootle round for receipts in case I've forgotten anything; of course I did my mother's shopping today, so I have bought stuff, it just wasn't for us or paid for with our money. I'm kind of impressed that we can actually go several days without shopping, without me even particularly noticing, and that we can survive me missing an opportunity to stock up, twice in the space a month, bearing in mind the "snow days!" And I've been feeding 6, with very idiosyncratic tastes, for the last two weeks, though I took DS3 back to uni this evening so we're back to 5 now.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 April 2018 at 9:10PM
    Popped to Mr T's yesterday to get a couple of bits, ended up buying loads of reduced priced easter chocolates and sweets. spent £23.63
    My Mr S's delivery was only £40.10 as they couldn't deliver 3 items.
    Going to have to be careful over the next few weeks as I've already spent 1/4 of the monthly budget in 4 days.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    £4.77 at Morries, biscuits y.s bits and 6 bunches of flowers.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Small purchase of Loo roll, eggs & milk, DS1 managed to find ys cheese/onion rolls for 20p and lg Easter eggs for 75p!! Got some as a treat for DSs as they are looking after me whilst I cope with a nasty chest infection and kidney grumbles :(
    Made sausages with cheese & beany jacket potatoes.. Yummy and much needed while feeling so rubbish. Will be making slow cooker soup asap to use up some odds in the veg dept!
    Off to add £6.40.. Ooh £5.40 (DS1 paid for his drink!) to my total.
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Evening all

First spends of the month today of £17.13 in Morries

Hope you all have a thrifty Thursday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Itisme_2
    Itisme_2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £12.54 at Tesco from the other day.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    I'm on £7.06 so far for April.

I'm cooking dinner for oh today, before he goes to badminton. I'm not feeling great, as I fell down the stairs yesterday morning - very sore. So, I'll make a sneaky roast again, as the oven can do most of the work for me. I've two pork loin steaks left, which I'll do with roasties, stuffing, Apple sauce, mashed swede and perhaps some cabbage.

I need to sort though the outside freezer a bit today, for two reasons. First, to make a bit of a use-up list, and second to try and find space for all this veg I've accumulated that I don't want to go off before I can use it. I have celery, three cabbages, some parsnips and possibly a few other bits, so I need a chopping and freezing session after I've made space!!

I'm supposed to be going to work today, but I think I'll just call in after dropping ds off at his dad's then head home to rest. Luckily, I can choose when I do my work during the holidays, so I'll try tomorrow, and if not, next week. I could do with catching some zzz as I didn't sleep well last night.

Have a good day everyone,

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • frugalish
    frugalish Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 6 April 2018 at 9:10AM
    Hello all! Can I join in please? I used to lurk here years ago (actually 10 years ago!!:eek:) but a lot of life has happened and I need to start afresh :)

It's just me, DH, two cats and a tortoise (who's just woken up so needs feeding for the summer) and we'd like to think we can manage on £250 for food and all household groceries for April.

We're both self employed and struggling with income and debt atm, but as always I've found loads of good advice and ideas on the forums - I'm kicking myself for not coming back sooner! Hey ho - you live and learn! And I'm here now, which is the main thing ;)

Looking forward to getting spending under control and kicking the debt into touch!

DH did a small shop yesterday at Sainsbugs, which was our first spend this month, so the total so far is

£8.65 / £250

Now I just need to remember how to update my signature thingy... :D
    "What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?" - George Eliot

Grocery Challenge Feb 20 £0.00/ £400 = £0.00
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family