'The Ordinary' skincare products

Hi everyone!

So lately I've been looking to expand by skincare routine as I've noticed my skin gets drier than it used to and I have slight hyperpigmentation so I thought I'd start taking better care of it!

Now recently, a few people have recommended skincare products from 'The Ordinary' to me and have said that they work very well. One of my friends uses one of their Retinoid products and the "Buffet" serum and swears by them both. However, I mentioned the brand to another person I know and she said although the products are cheap, they are not worth it.

So I was wondering, have any of you had any experience with the brand or any specific products you would recommend to a friend, or any that haven't worked for you?

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Virtually all the big hitters in the word of skincare blogging in the U.K, write very highly of the efficacy of products by The Ordinary, I think your friend has been seduced by huge advertising budgets of the better known skin care brands, even the well known slightly less expensive brands are owned by huge companies who spend loads of dosh on advertising, flooding the blogging world with "free" products and paying "celebrities" to endorse them.

I haven't used The Ordinary, I am of mature years and started using Indeed Labs and NIOD products when they came out (all started by the same guy) and as I have more complex needs at my age I have stuck with them, but as The Ordinary is so affordable I may yet risk a few quid on trying some things out.

(Bloggers whose opinion I generally respect are Caroline Hirons, Nadine Baggott and Sali Hughes). This article by Victoria Health who are stockist explains what most of the products are for.

If you are considering Acids (AHA, BHA, Lactic etc) or Retinols, do start gently and build up gradually and always use an SPF if you spend any time outdoors.

HTH

(You will probably have guessed by now that I am a skin care junkie, I do, however, have really good skin, particularly for an old 'un:D)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Estee Lauder has recently bought into the company.

I know a few people who have used some of the brands. The reviews have bee mixed some products they think are brilliant and others just not cutting it.
  • The Ordinary products are game changers, they basically offer the active ingredients you need without all the added stuff you don't. Have a look at the many threads on mumsnet for ideas on where to start (depends on your skin type) and lots and lots of feedback.

I'd be interested to know the reasoning of your friend who thinks they aren't worth it?
  • Absolutely love the Ordinary.

I have very oily acne prone skin, and it has transformed it. Every month I used to get big cystic spots on my chin, and through using their Rosehip Oil, Niacinamide & Zinc, and Hylauronic Acid, I don't ever get them anymore.

Your friend is wrong, ignore her!
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 February 2018 at 4:29PM
    I totally agree with emilybc. I use the Buffet, Rosehip oil and the Zinc & Hylauronic acid. No more dry skin and the texture is smoother than ever. I found them on the Victoria Health website which gives an explanation of different products. I am 57 and cannot speak highly enough. They are not tested on animals and I like the prices
  • Ordinary products are good so long as it passes quality control. I don't really use expensive products and have maintained the use of organic ones which are cheaper but as equally effective. The key is to buy from reliable sellers to make sure you're getting the genuine products.
  • annie_d
    annie_d Posts: 933 Forumite
    I have been using The Ordinary acids along with Retin A for a few months now and I am very, very impressed with the results. You should definitely give them a go imh
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 February 2018 at 7:58PM
    I am quite literally becoming Deciems number one fan!

I have bought

TO buffet
    TO caffeine for eyes
    TO Lipholic Acid
    TO Primers (both).

I have bought and are in the post

TO vampire mask (the peeler)

The chemistry hand cream x 3

Hylamide primer

Niod MMHC x 3
    Niod Sanskrit Sapoins
    Niod myrrh mask
    Niod hydration vaccine
    Niod CAIS

And I bought my daughter the foundation, not the serum one, the other one.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2018 at 8:11PM
    I've been using The Ordinary, I'm a big fan, BUT you really do need to put in the time to research and understand what you are using and what to combine and what not to combine (you can render a product useless if you combine the wrong things for example using vitamin C and water based products at the same time or using anti-oxidants at the same time as retinols).

You can find what you need to know by asking staff, on reading blogs or watching vlogs on YouTube but it does take time because there is a lot to learn about. Having said that once you do learn about what does what and why it's important, you feel really well armed to take on the beauty hall and turning down "new and fantastic" type products becomes very easy to do when you find out that all it's offering is a creamier version of a product you already have that was less than a tenth of the price!

I used hyaluronic acid for months and it really helped with my skin which was too dry. I've since moved to another brand I was gifted which is less sticky but once this runs out I'll be moving back because the stickiness doesn't justify the price difference IMO
    I've also been using vitamin C some nights and antioxidants mornings (just make sure you cleanse well if you do this because the vitamin C comes in a format which I think makes it difficult for additional products to reach your skin effectively).
    And my favorite product has to be the Natural Moisturising Factors. It's just a simple and basic moisturiser, doesn't do anything other than add moisture, but it also doesn't add problems; no spots, no dull skin, no puffiness, it's rare I find a product which does what I want without side effects and for it to be an affordable price. Normally moisturisers which work for me are around £35 a pot, the NMF is far less.

I've tried the foundations and really like them. They don't oxidise (turn yellow after an hour) on me and although could do more to last longer, they do last long enough, having said this, because I've been looking after my skin just lately, it's not such an issue to show my skin rather than feeling I need to hide it all the time!

I'm next building myself up to using the Retinols. I want to use antioxidants for a little while longer to build up my skins natural barrier (so I am less at risk of dryness) but should be ready to go by the end of March I recon.

The only product I didn't get on with was the ferrulic acid (sp?) it just felt uncomfortable on my skin. I didn't have a problem with taking it back to the shop and was given a full refund without issue and not forced into trying anything else. Few places operate like this.
    I've been using on-off, the caffeine (for under eyes) but didn't notice any real effects but then puffy eyes was never really an issue for me in the first place so I'm not sure if my sporadic use/results really says anything about the products.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 24 February 2018 at 11:27PM
    (You will probably have guessed by now that I am a skin care junkie, I do, however, have really good skin, particularly for an old 'un

I'll bow to your greater knowledge, I have never had a skin regime. Ending this year with my 50th thought I'd give it a go. My days, where do I start? I like the look and price of The Ordinary and I appreciate their no nonsense approach but I just don't know what to get. I've read and read all the blurb and like the sound of hyaluronic acid but don't want any faffing about . Any pointers please?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure