Any positive stories changing from DLA to PIP?

Comments

• w06 wrote: »
    but you only read the first 5 pages ...
    How many more times do I have to repeat myself?

When he got to that section I remembered that he asked me if I would have any difficulties in getting to a face to face assessment? Having had a few of them before I knew what he was talking about. No I said, my wife can get me anywhere in the car. Then he wrote down that I would have the face to face at any assessment centre with no problems.

There is that clear for you?
  • Penitent wrote: »
    In that case, it sounds like what he wrote was accurate. You were able to attend any assessment centre (having done it many times before and having access to appropriate transport) and didn't require a home visit. Why were you unhappy with what he wrote?
    Maybe because of what happened at a previous ESA assessment?
    Obviously travelling any distance is extremely difficult and tiring.
    Should I not have been given the option based on those difficulties to have a home assessment - but I didn't know that they did them. And if they had have wanted confirmation of what state I would have arrived like from my GP, without a doubt he would have backed me up.
    I was never given the choice and it was never explained to me for me to suggest a home visit.
    Anyhow it's water under the bridge as no face to face assessment was deemed necessary, but it would have been nice to have the choice/option.
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My husband has had the dreaded letter through that he needs to move to PIP. He currently receives DLA middle for care, lower for mobility. He receives it for mental health problems, including severe anxiety so you can imagine what effect the letter has had. Does anyone have any positive stories of moving? All I've heard are bad stories so I'm really really worried about it.

Can people please address the OP with positive stories and ignore the posts by Andy AKA rockingbilly.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Penitent wrote: »
    Sorry. The reason I'm responding is because the OP wanted positive stories, so I thought it was important to address the issues raised in his negative stories so she understood that there are other factors involved and it's not necessarily something she should worry about.

No need to be sorry, I know its frustrating and you are right to correct the wrongs where you can.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • Penitent wrote: »
    Why didn't you cross it out and write that you couldn't?
    Maybe I didn't know that home visits were given? The assumption on my part was that everyone goes to an assessment centre.

I don't mean to be a !!!!, but I think you said in another post that you did managed to get to the centre on your own by using two buses (taking >1h) and walking half a mile? If that's the case, then it sounds like while you'd prefer a home visit, you didn't necessarily need one? I think you said this required a lot of effort and caused you difficulty, but you felt you had to do it so you went. (Have I got the right person?) A home visit is for people who couldn't go there even if they had to.
    Yes that was me. That was for an ESA assessment (one of many over a 5 year period. The instructions on the appointment letter told me that I had to go - no option/no choice. Having no one to take me I had to follow the route that they told me to. I arrived in agony and could hardly talk as being out of breath. I was shaking with fear with what I had been through (two buses an a long walk) I had to pay for a taxi to get home as I could not face the same journey twice. If I had have known that I could have asked for a home visit I'm positive that if I had seen my GP and explained the situation he would have been annoyed with the idea of going, not only on my own (for safety reasons) but also how my health would have suffered which it did for a week afterwards..Ironically because I had no other alternative and followed the route and mode of transport that they sent me, they decided that I no longer had any mobility difficulties.

I was given a home visit because I wouldn't have been able to make myself leave the house to go to the centre. I can manage doctor's appointments (if I can convince myself I absolutely have to) because I consider medical centres a relatively safe and supportive environment, but I still suffer the consequences of going there. I consider an assessment centre about as safe as a bear pit. Given the option between going to the assessment centre and having my PIP claim rejected, I would have given up my PIP claim, because going to the centre wasn't an option.

You don't know very much about my health problems and I prefer it to remain that way. But given how I am with regards to my mental health you do actually find the inner strength to do anything you have to. Every day I have to force myself to do things, get out of bed and even talk to people. Despite knowing how I would be, I forced myself to do that journey (a) because there was no other choice and (b) I have pride and will not allow others to see me in any way other than appearing 'normal' at all times.
  • Gypsywoman
    Gypsywoman Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 8:13PM
    I played 'no system' I never would play that system.

My CPN knows me more than anyone else, she sees me more that anyone else and sees the way my physical health affects my mental health.

I am not prepared to say why I would not go alone in a taxi.

My CPN would have been at my home, but that was not a option and after numerous appointments and changes, she insisted that she take me and be there with me or I would not have gone - so stalemate.

Had there been any further problems then my psychiatrist would have had to intervene, to say I was not a danger to others. Yet my CPN would have still been there, in my home, it is in my care plan. So nothing unusual!

In psychology what you just did and do is called 'transference' you accuse others of what you do or are trying/failing to do yourself.

I do think you need psychological help.

If you have really gone though all you say and still not been given a award, then I do not think it looks like you are entitled to PIP and so psychological help would help you with coming to terms with that fact.

I am reporting your post for you are suggesting I am dishonest and I am not - see once again your transference!
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 9:22PM
    Gypsywoman wrote: »
    I played 'no system' I never would play that system.

My CPN knows me more than anyone else, she sees me more that anyone else and sees the way my physical health affects my mental health.

I am not prepared to say why I would not go alone in a taxi.

My CPN would have been at my home, but that was not a option and after numerous appointments and changes, she insisted that she take me and be there with me or I would not have gone - so stalemate.

Had there been any further problems then my psychiatrist would have had to intervene, to say I was not a danger to others. Yet my CPN would have still been there, in my home, it is in my care plan. So nothing unusual!

In psychology what you just did and do is called 'transference' you accuse others of what you do or are trying/failing to do yourself.

I do think you need psychological help.

If you have really gone though all you say and still not been given a award, then I do not think it looks like you are entitled to PIP and so psychological help would help you with coming to terms with that fact.

I am reporting your post for you are suggesting I am dishonest and I am not - see once again your transference!

I have not said that you were dishonest in any way. You actually did the right thing by making sure that you had the full and appropriate support that you needed.
    Unfortunately for many others they don't have that level of support. In fact many don't have any support whatsoever much like myself.
    So for you people came to your aid and your support team played the system to ensure that you received not only a fair hearing but that you also were supported to ensure that no one took advantage of you (system/DWP/Assessor).

Mentioning 'transference' is excellent. You are very aware of aspects of the mental health system.
    I too have been sectioned in the past, and have received (I mean many years) of treatment and therapy.
    I always do comparisons to work out if I am 'normal' What do 'normal' people do, how do they think.
    Unfortunately I walked away from those that have tried to help. After I walked I started adding alcohol to my regime of medication (lithium and a whole host of other anti psychotics)
    This got progressively worse over the years and to be honest I don't know who the hell I am any more. Recently I have undergone tests for brain damage and/or memory loss. The report I received 12 months ago makes some heavy and disturbing reading. I read it once and binned it. So now I'm just letting nature take it's course.
    Side effects to how I have lived my life - you don't want to know.

So sorry if I suggested that you had done something illegal which I know you haven't. For me, I go from one crisis to another - most of which are self inflicted.
    Hope you understand
  • Gypsywoman wrote: »

It's not that I am not entitled to an award it's more a question of me putting up barriers which force the DWP to make the decisions.
    If I was really honest with the DWP in filling out the claim forms telling them 'how it really is' then sending them the evidence that was held back/destroyed by me, then the decisions would be totally different. But that isn't how my brain is wired up.
    It was determined by my psychiatrist a couple of years ago that the disaster that I am is the result of my own self destruction mechanism.
    No one can help, other than drug me up - well that was his opinion
    Hence the reason why so many bad things happen to me - I always see the worst scenario and indirectly I then create it which then reinforces my belief that the worst will always happen. Then I spend time fighting these bad situations never winning.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 March 2017 at 10:59PM
    My husband has had the dreaded letter through that he needs to move to PIP. He currently receives DLA middle for care, lower for mobility. He receives it for mental health problems, including severe anxiety so you can imagine what effect the letter has had. Does anyone have any positive stories of moving? All I've heard are bad stories so I'm really really worried about it.
    There's some good advice in here.. along with the usual Rockinbilly oddities. His case is a positive story in that thus far a UFO hasn't crashed through his garage roof and destroyed his Ferrari. But people like Alice Holt have given solid advice. I'm not going to say this will be easy for him... but most definitely try to take a 'get on front foot' approach rather than as many seem to end up doing playing catch up. In that I mean get familiar with the activities and descriptors that determine entitlement and make solid case for the applicable descriptors applying with any supporting evidence available. The first opportunity to do that will be with the PIP2 'How your disability affects you' form which will be coming soon. Help him with this if you can... and fear not from going into great detail on additional pages.

To cut a long story short... I too was in receipt of DLA at the same rates as your husband and probably with similar underlying conditions and therefore likely similar reasons. PIP is a double edged sword I'd say for 'mental health' claimants... it isn't a pleasant experience especially if called for face to face medical by ATOS or Capita after completing PIP2... but it does offer opportunities. In particular (and to the grave frustration of this government) such claimants as 'us' are doing well in getting enhanced awards for Daily Living (equivalent of High rate DLA care). I believe this must be true because although we'll typically not have insurmountable problems across the 10 Daily Living activities (except perhaps engaging with others where significant points could be obtained) there are a good range of activities where 2 or perhaps 4 points could be obtained. Mobility is a trickier animal (set to be a little trickier with the current government antics)... and realistically speaking (without any physical or developmental cognitive type problems) it is most likely only a standard rate will be achievable through for the most part being unable to undertake a journey out due to overwhelming psychological distress or similar. I note in later posting reference to seizures that may offer some other avenue for argument on mobility descriptors... each case is different. I ended up getting enhanced Daily Living and standard mobility... I wouldn't describe it as a success story or a positive experience... I don't think the facts are right in the case, the law has not been applied and processes have not been followed whilst people were put at risk unnecessarily... but in the end the result is we've got more money coming in and for the first time yesterday I was able to enjoy some of that! So there is definitely opportunity amidst the stress to improve circumstances in the longer term. On balance the chances are he will in initial instance of claim be required to attend face to face assessment but that too offers opportunity... I struggled badly at mine but the resulting report in all its failings now is the basis for nearly half my income. Good luck!

Oh and for goodness sake don't do a rockinbilly... take copies of anything you send regarding this claim (so you know what has been said!) and never send original copies of evidence unless expressly asked to do so. I assume you've enough sense to consider this unworthy of mention along with naturally an expectation that prior to sending anything to the DWP completed by a 3rd party it is read first to see if it bears resemblance to reality.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In that I mean get familiar with the activities and descriptors that determine entitlement and make solid case for the applicable descriptors applying with any supporting evidence available. The first opportunity to do that will be with the PIP2 'How your disability affects you' form... and fear not from going into great detail.....

Couldn't agree more.
    This is really important. If your partner does need to appeal the DWP decision, then a persuasive PIP2 form is vital.

To help you understand the form, here are the activities, descriptors and points:
    http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    8 points are needed for a standard award, 12 for enhanced.

To help you better understand how the descriptors are applied, this is worth looking at:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/547146/pip-assessment-guide.pdf
    Pages 97-125 detail the DL activities .

Re positive stories - if you do need to appeal, 65% of PIP appeals are successful at tribunal.
    But, hopefully you will get a decent HCP (as illustrated by posters in this thread) and get the right outcome from the assessment.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure