Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    newgirly wrote: »
    Well the first one i dropped on the kitchen floor tiles with no case on, the second was a spice jar - it was propped up on the worktop whilst I was following a receipe , opened the spice cupboard and a jar threw itself out :eek: it was repaired but was never right afterwards and would go blank.

The tesco hudl was ok but the charging ports wear out quickly , repaired once and refunded second time.

The free lg one with my (cheap!) phone contract was in my bag when I put a tin of soup in for my lunch at work and forgot :o

I probably should not be in charge of children really as I am an idiot :rotfl:

Wow, I'm surprised you're trusted to look after yourself. ;) :rotfl:
    maman wrote: »
    So pleased to hear you're not ruling LittleK using it completely out of hand. We've had this discussion before but I'm confident that developing IT skills is essential in today's world. Using apps and a touch screen is needed as well as using a keyboard. I agree about mind numbing games but I'm sure there are apps for children that help them to gain these skills. What I love (and currently use my phone for if out and about) is information at my fingertips. That's another skill that Little K will need i.e. to absorb information from a range of sources and make decisions about how reliable they are (a bit like being aware of bias in newspapers).

I'm assuming the 'letter to MrsK' was just to get the thoughts out of your head. I do hope the letter wasn't subservient. You have a huge amount to offer (and I don't just mean your inheritance) and it's high time MrsK started treating you as an equal and not putting herself first.

I'm in the same position as you in that I plan to buy one before I go on holiday. Don't scoff at using one as a camera though as the quality of photographs is good and it cuts down on luggage if your 'real' camera is a bulky one.

Maman, being able to interpret and analyse information is very important and will be something I teach my son as he gets older. :)I hadn't thought about it being useful from the digital age point of view but more an academic one. However, I think you're right. There's a lot more access to information than when I was his age.

My son has had a few issues at school because he has very little in common with his peers. To be honest, I need to face the fact that others are right and he needs to be allowed to see a little of the modern world that ideally I'd like to protect him from. He's growing up and I've no desire to turn into how my father was when I was a child.

I didn't give the letter to my wife. Tonight she's away with work and I'm quite glad apart from the amount of money she's spending. I have just said on someone else's diary I would like her to grow up. Shouldn't complain because I know I'm lucky to have her, though.

Real camera is a DSLR, so quite bulky, yes. However, we're taking the dog on holiday, so no flights / luggage requirements. I suppose if I buy an iPad I could have a go at taking some photographs and see what I think.
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    On the subject of iPads, I'd suggest an iPad mini, as they are a much better size for general portability.

I got the first iPad Mini shortly after it came out in late 2012. It's in constant use and is still going strong.

I'd also suggest getting a larger storage space than you think you'll need. Mine is 16gb, and it's getting quite full up now, but at first I thought 16gb would be more than enough for my needs.

I've got music on it, a few apps, and a few puzzle games. I've got a little camera that fits in my pocket, so I don't use it much for photography, but I've shot a few short videos with it. I tend to transfer the best photos that I've taken on to the iPad, so I can show people my holiday photos if they want to see them.

When I was on holiday, I used it to write my cruise diary, which I later posted on a cruise forum.

It's also used for a lot of general Internet surfing - indeed I'm using the iPad right now.

Games don't have to be 'mindless'. I'm currently doing sudoku, and I'm gradually moving up to the more difficult puzzles which really stretch the brain.

The way things are going, virtually everything in life will be accessed or interacted with by screens and apps. I think it's almost an essential that your son learns how to use a tablet, as soon as possible.

Computers, tablets and smart phones aren't the work of the devil - they are the way we live now, so children need to learn how to use them at the earliest possible age.

Thank you, Goldie. :)

I will have a look at the iPad mini. Suppose I ought to go to a computer shop and have a look at some point.

Sounds like you really put yours to some good uses. :) Really like the idea of the cruise diary. I used to document my travels when I was younger, still have my journals but can't bear to look at them.

I used to do Sudoku puzzles when I couldn't leave the house, got quite good at them.

I don't suppose computers are the problem really, I am.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Alex, I echo all of the above in reference to positive comments around technology use for your son.

Are you completely set on Apple? I have an ipad (the very first ones that came out!) and a Kindle Fire - I also use an iPad mini supplied by my employer (so for work use although I can install some apps if I choose to). My son has used the original ipad and the kindle fire, and he prefers the fire. I also prefer the kindle generally as being Android it is more compatible with other things, whereas Apple just want to be compatible with Apple and nothing else! My original ipad is now dead, but I use the ipad mini and work and the kindle fire at home - I can see good points to both but I think overall I do prefer the Kindle...... when my ipad died I decided not to replace it (although I did enjoy it while I owned it) but if my Kindle died I'd be on Amazon ordering a new one with Prime next day delivery!!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Strange you should say Mrs K needs to grow up. I thought exactly the same. You might think you're lucky to have her but I think that works both ways!
    I think you have a responsibility to prepare Little K for today's world not the one you (or your father) grew up in. I've seen children less than half his age using ipad. You shouldn't keep putting off until he's older things you could be introducing (at an age appropriate level) NOW. After all you wouldn't want to hold him back in terms of maths or music or other skills so why do it with IT?
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 26 April 2016 at 10:08PM
    Apologies if this forthcoming post reads badly, my levels of concentration are very low at the moment.

Goldie: I meant to ask, do you have a keyboard for your iPad?
    Alex, I echo all of the above in reference to positive comments around technology use for your son.

Are you completely set on Apple? I have an ipad (the very first ones that came out!) and a Kindle Fire - I also use an iPad mini supplied by my employer (so for work use although I can install some apps if I choose to). My son has used the original ipad and the kindle fire, and he prefers the fire. I also prefer the kindle generally as being Android it is more compatible with other things, whereas Apple just want to be compatible with Apple and nothing else! My original ipad is now dead, but I use the ipad mini and work and the kindle fire at home - I can see good points to both but I think overall I do prefer the Kindle...... when my ipad died I decided not to replace it (although I did enjoy it while I owned it) but if my Kindle died I'd be on Amazon ordering a new one with Prime next day delivery!!

Thanks, turtlemoose.

There are so many tablets out there that I haven't a clue what's the right thing to buy. My current reasoning: iPads are meant to be fairly long-lived and have the best specifications from what I've read.

The main thing that puts me off a Kindle (again, all from reading), is the fact the whole operating system is geared towards advertising Amazon.
    maman wrote: »
    Strange you should say Mrs K needs to grow up. I thought exactly the same. You might think you're lucky to have her but I think that works both ways!
    I think you have a responsibility to prepare Little K for today's world not the one you (or your father) grew up in. I've seen children less than half his age using ipad. You shouldn't keep putting off until he's older things you could be introducing (at an age appropriate level) NOW. After all you wouldn't want to hold him back in terms of maths or music or other skills so why do it with IT?

I can understand I'm probably part of the reason but it annoys me when I'm trying to make things better and all she wants to do is counter my efforts. As for the other point, I'm certain she could do a lot better than I.

I've no desire to hold my son back. :) He does know how to search for things on google as we often look up wildlife related things together. I suppose I'm not sure how to prepare him for the world as it's something I don't fare particularly well in. Not a day goes by when I stop wondering whether I'm failing him.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I don't have a keyboard for my iPad, I do all my typing on the screen.

It takes a little bit of getting used too, but I'm quite nippy with it now.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Not been a great day today: had my car keyed, struggling to get on with life and an unexpected bill. :(

On the positive, over the past day or so I've been drawing up a budget and have shown Mrs K, telling her I think we ought make an overpayment now and only spend the amount identified as surplus. She's "thinking" about it.
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I don't have a keyboard for my iPad, I do all my typing on the screen.

It takes a little bit of getting used too, but I'm quite nippy with it now.

Thanks, Goldie. :) The keyboard is £140 from Apple so seems quite expensive.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • DollyDee_2
    DollyDee_2 Posts: 765 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry to hear about your car and the unexpected bill Alex. Which car was it?

Good luck with your budget and overpayments.

Dolly
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    DollyDee wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your car and the unexpected bill Alex. Which car was it?

Good luck with your budget and overpayments.

Dolly

My Series 1 XJ6. :( It's now booked in to the bodyshop, so another expense.

Realised I do need to try to keep on top of the bills etc. as they would be less unexpected if I kept proper records.

Wife was really angry this evening that I was trying to tell her how to spend her own money. Yet I'm meant to "sort the finances"?? Apparently, had she her time again she wouldn't get married. :(
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Oh no about the car :(

And Mrs LK's comments :(

Fire up Excel and get your budget/bills in there. Can have a running total and minus the bills and add any income, it's easy to keep track of, just needs updating and checking against internet banking (a daily habit of mine :)).
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Would a regular meeting with your dw help at all, so it's more of a joint descision making process? She would then be undermining her own plans of she overspent?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure