Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• gordiegem
    Options
    Thid doesn't seem to have made it to Easyjet thread yet. What should I do next?
  • Sparks33
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    There are likely cases within this very thread
    have a good read here on the process https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6hmpy5ysxpck6k/Vauban%27s%20Guide%20to%20Claiming%20Flight%20Delay%20Compensation.pdf?dl=0
    Have you read up on the Huzar appeal re the technical delay?

I still haven't heard about, or read about anyone taking EASYJET to court. Has anyone actually done this yet??
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sparks33 wrote: »
    I still haven't heard about, or read about anyone taking EASYJET to court. Has anyone actually done this yet??

Yep. Several such stories on this forum - took me two mins to find them with the search box. But what difference does it make to your claim?
  • Sparks33
    Options
    I had a quick scan through but didn't find them. Do you recall which pages? I read through your case Vauban, well done for getting all that together! However, I'm left wondering whether I would be able to make a successful claim without having to spend all the time gathering so many documents, as you did. I'm only claiming for myself, and mainly out of principal, because Easyjet have annoyed me so much. The 400 Euros I have asked them for doesn't even go as far as to cover my extra expenses incured because of their 10 hour delay. Just wondering if it's worth going to court but without quite as much effort as you put in! :-)
  • Vauban
    Options
    Well my case was worth a lot of money - so I didn't want to enlist a NWNF for 30% (about a grand). But you're right: it was serious hard work. So you have two choices, really: instruct a decent NWNF company (like Bott) who'll take about a third (plus any interest) or wait for Huzar (and maybe Dawson) to wind their way through the Supreme Court. When these are won, any legal action will be easy peasy (relatively).

Check the (now defunct) Court Success thread for old stories of glory and gold - I spotted one easyJet case there from NI.
  • Sparks33
    Options
    So you think it's a question of 'when' rather than 'if'? I've waited several years, so I s'pose it's worth waiting one more :-)
  • Vauban
    Options
    So long as you start legal action with six years of the delay, there's no downside in waiting - unless you're impatient and want to try to force the issue (which requires some more effort, of course).

Like the snake oil salesman I am, I obviously endorse my sparkly guide to flight delay compensation (new formula, with added airline discomfiture):

http://db.orangedox.com/GdfSa4xUZdZI...mpensation.pdf

ps Yes - I think when rather than if: but it's not my call (regrettably).
  • gordiegem
    Options
    Folks apologies if I've posted in wrong forum. Stepped off cruise yesterday (Saturday 6th September) to find out my Easyjet flight from Venice to Paris had been cancelled at last minute due to Italian air strike. Email offered refund or transfer to another flight. Nothing on email about accommodation for stranded passengers etc. Spent 40 minutes trying to phone Easyjet without success at considerable cost to myself. Had non refundable hotel accommodation booked for 2 nights in Paris plus return flight home from Paris to Dublin with a different airline was clashing with earliest available date of replacement flight from Venice to Paris on Tuesday 8th September.

So as to not lose return flights home from Paris to Dublin paid for 14 hour overnight train from Venice to Paris at cost of €270 for both of us. Train journey was awful. Shared cabin with 4 strangers crammed in like sardines. Insect bites from journey. Lost 1 night's hotel accommodation in Paris too.

Before I accept refund from Easyjet want to know if under EC261/2004 I can get them to cover our alternative arrangements for rail travel expenses for journey from Venice to Paris plus 1 night's hotel accommodation we lost in Paris? It would have cost Easyjet a lot more had I waited on the earliest flight opportunity. If Easyjet don't reimburse me begrudge having to pay a travel insurance excess.
  • Vauban
    Options
    gordiegem: I think the short answer unfortunately is no. Regulation 261/04 doesn't make provision for things such as consequential losses (accommodation booked subsequently, onward transport not on the same ticket etc). You'll have to look to your insurance for that.

Had you stayed put, easyJet would have had to cover your hotel and victualing expenses until they re-routed you - regardless of whether the cause of the cancellation was "extraordinary circumstances". As you chose to make your own way, they are off that hook. You are owed a refund for your flight, but they don't have to pay for your train fare to Paris.

If the cause of the delay really was the ATC strike, then you would not be owed compensation. If it was not, or if easyJet did not take sufficient measures to minimise the disruption, your compensation would be 250 euros.
  • gordiegem
    Options
    Had I of waited the 72 hours to be rerouted from Venice to Paris I would have missed my Paris to Dublin homeward bound flight with another airline which I assume wouldn't have been Easyjets responsibility as it was with different airline?

By making my own travel arrangements I've saved Easyjet at least 2 nights hotel accommodation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback