Comments

• David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2014 at 11:55AM
    Betty12345 wrote: »
    Any thoughts ?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...025.1372776504

"What if my flight is delayed by five or more hours?
    When the delay hits five hours, as well as costs for food, accommodation and other extras, you qualify for a refund of the ticket cost, no matter whose fault the problem was, if you decide not to travel. To also get compensation, the problem must be the airline's fault.
    You can get a refund for a delayed flight if:
    • The flight departed from an EU airport, regardless of the airline, or you were on an EU airline that landed at an EU airport.
    • Your flight departure is delayed by five hours or more and you decide not to travel.
    • You will also receive a refund for any unused parts of your booking (for instance, the return flight), and a flight back to your departure airport if you’ve already completed part of your journey.
    Can I get both a refund and compensation?
    Yes, you could be entitled to a lot of cash in some cases."

Have a read of the Regulation too:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:439cd3a7-fd3c-4da7-8bf4-b0f60600c1d6.0004.02/DOC_1&format=PDF
  • Thanks David

I did check REGULATION (EC) No 261/2004 before contacting MSE.

I can see no part of REGULATION (EC) No 261/2004 that supports a view that compensation is suddenly no longer appropriate in the event that a passenger chooses to reduce the delay from c.16 hours to c. .12 hours by "taking an earlier flight".

The 3 hour delay seems sacrosanct (except for exceptional circumstances).

I thought I was going mad !!
  • My husband and 7 friends went to Israel for a week. He planned to return home on the 17th July when a ban was placed on all flights in and out of Tel Aviv Airport.
    Fortunately the ban was lifted and Easyjet emailed and said that they would be able to fly from Tel Aviv to Gatwick, instead of the planned flight to Manchester. In that email they said they would pay coach fares from Gatwick back to Manchester.
    I booked the coach for all the men, when I phoned Easyjet to ask how to claim back the money, as ticktes etc had been sent to one of the men's iphones. I was told by their operator that they would not be paying any money back. After a fraught conversation she said she would email me and I was to send her a copy of the email back to her
    I have sent the email back on the 29th July and a second email on the 6th August. I am at a loss as what I should do next can anyone help me please. Thank you
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    dizzy1949 wrote: »
    My husband and 7 friends went to Israel for a week. He planned to return home on the 17th July when a ban was placed on all flights in and out of Tel Aviv Airport.
    Fortunately the ban was lifted and Easyjet emailed and said that they would be able to fly from Tel Aviv to Gatwick, instead of the planned flight to Manchester. In that email they said they would pay coach fares from Gatwick back to Manchester.
    I booked the coach for all the men, when I phoned Easyjet to ask how to claim back the money, as ticktes etc had been sent to one of the men's iphones. I was told by their operator that they would not be paying any money back. After a fraught conversation she said she would email me and I was to send her a copy of the email back to her
    I have sent the email back on the 29th July and a second email on the 6th August. I am at a loss as what I should do next can anyone help me please. Thank you

If easyJet said they would pay and indicated that you should book then yes they should pay. Seems to me the time has come to embarrass them into paying if you are sure that it is their responsibility - a post on their facebook page should liven things up.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,936 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    dizzy1949 wrote: »
    My husband and 7 friends went to Israel for a week. He planned to return home on the 17th July when a ban was placed on all flights in and out of Tel Aviv Airport.

You could consider court action if you have enough evidence of what was promised. Start with a "letter before action" giving them a date by which to pay if you follow this route.
    If easyJet said they would pay and indicated that you should book then yes they should pay. Seems to me the time has come to embarrass them into paying if you are sure that it is their responsibility - a post on their facebook page should liven things up.

If you are going to use social media, phrase things correctly. There was no ban on Tel Aviv airport, indeed British Airways (and ElAl) continued to fly over that time. The FAA (Federal Aviation Authority) imposed a ban on airlines over which they have control - Easyjet decided to follow that ruling. They obviously weren't obliged to as they are not American. I'm not saying they were right or wrong in choosing not to fly, just that you want to phrase things correctly so your don't sidelined into arguments about what they did.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Thank you very much for your reply, you are right, it feels like they will use anything to delay paying.
  • hi
    we had a cancelled flight on 30th \1st sept 2010 from alicante .arrived at airport got told flight on time ,then got called to gate only to be given meal vouchers ,then almost as soon as we got vouchers ,got called again to be told flight has been cancelled !.and we will be put in hotels until they get plane for us which was next day ? all i have is flight number ,nothing else ,can i claim ?
    kerry
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2014 at 2:44PM
    kerob wrote: »
    all i have is flight number ,nothing else ,can i claim ?

Yes you can. Have a look at the FAQs about what to do if you haven't retained tickets, etc.. Have you absolutely nothing? Emails, booking forms?

Whatever the airline says, there is no prescribed "evidence" required. You just need to prove on the balance of probabilities that you were booked on the flight.
  • JordanG
    JordanG Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 20 August 2014 at 8:43AM
    gleavesy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated on our problem.

We sent the template letter from Martin Lewis explaining that our Easy jet flight EZY 1944 from Dalaman to Manchester airport on 27.07.2014 (due to depart at 11.30) had been delayed and then cancelled. We then waited in the airport until 3.30am for a hotel to be arranged which we got to at 4am. The following day the replacement flight was delayed an hour.
    The response from Easyjet was as follows:

With regards to compensation, in a recent ruling by the High Court of the United Kingdom it has been ruled that technical issues relating to the operation of the aircraft in most cases cannot be exempt from compensation.
    Whilst we were not specifically involved in this case it is our understanding that the airline involved is now seeking a further appeal in this matter to the Supreme Court. On this basis we are awaiting the outcome of the Supreme Court before considering our position further in relation to this. Because of this we have put your case with us on hold.
    Once the Supreme Court has ruled on this matter and we have determined that compensation is indeed payable we will contact you to arrange payment. We recognise that there are several claims companies operating that may claim they will be able to obtain compensation on your behalf earlier, charging you up to 30% of the value of the compensation; this is not the case as we will also be defending / holding these types of actions pending the outcome of the Supreme Court. We commit that once the legal process is complete, likely to be in mid to late 2015 and if compensation is owing we will pay this directly to you in full.

Do we have to keep our fingers crossed and wait until 2015?
    Or should we receive compensation under the EC Regulation 261/2004 for this flight, as quoted in the Martin Lewis letter?

Can anyone advise us on what our next step should be?
    Thanks

Hi I was on this flight and have had an email this morning which says this:

I sincerely apologise for the time taken to reply to your email. We have recently received a large number of emails which has affected our response time.

I am sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced due to the delay.

We strive hard to provide smooth and timely travel experience to all our passengers. However, at times we come across situations where the flights get disrupted due to various reasons. Unfortuantely, you had to experience one of such disruptions.

Having checked our records, I see that your flight was overnight delayed due to a strong burning smell in flight deck and up to row number 4. So the aircraft was diverted to Venice. Due Venice curfew we could not operate another aircraft and bring new crew before the following day.

We are governed by European Union Aviation Laws and have to strictly abide by it. This incident was classified as 'Extraordinary' under EU Regulation EC 261/2004. The reason was adverse weather condition which means that the airline could not have avoided the situation even after all possible measures had been taken. Following the regulation, I am really sorry that we are unable to consider your compensation claim. Please refer Compensation, to know more about your claim. We hope you understand our position in this situation and genuinely hope this does not deter you from choosing us again.

It is sad that you were not offered refreshment vouchers at the airport. I have note this feedback and it will be taken up with the Ground Crew Management and discussions will be initiated on how we could have managed things better. This will help us for future handling.

In order to reimburse the 7.00 EUR, please confirm the last 4 digits of your card by replying to my email.

Your case reference is: xxxxxx

Yours sincerely

Mohammed-Owais Ansari
    easyJet Customer Services

WHY ARE THEY SENDING DIFFERENT REPLIES OUT FOR THE SAME FLIGHT? DO THEY ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT?
  • Hi,
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated on our problem.

We sent the template letter from Martin Lewis explaining that our Easy jet flight EZY 1944 from Dalaman to Manchester airport on 27.07.2014 (due to depart at 11.30) had been delayed and then cancelled. We then waited in the airport until 3.30am for a hotel to be arranged which we got to at 4.30am. The following day the replacement flight was delayed an hour.
    The response from Easyjet was as follows:

I sincerely apologise for the time taken to reply to your email. We have recently received a large number of emails which has affected our response time.

I am sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced due to the delay.

We strive hard to provide smooth and timely travel experience to all our passengers. However, at times we come across situations where the flights get disrupted due to various reasons. Unfortuantely, you had to experience one of such disruptions.

Having checked our records, I see that your flight was overnight delayed due to a strong burning smell in flight deck and up to row number 4. So the aircraft was diverted to Venice. Due Venice curfew we could not operate another aircraft and bring new crew before the following day.

We are governed by European Union Aviation Laws and have to strictly abide by it. This incident was classified as 'Extraordinary' under EU Regulation EC 261/2004. The reason was adverse weather condition which means that the airline could not have avoided the situation even after all possible measures had been taken. Following the regulation, I am really sorry that we are unable to consider your compensation claim. Please refer Compensation, to know more about your claim. We hope you understand our position in this situation and genuinely hope this does not deter you from choosing us again.

It is sad that you were not offered refreshment vouchers at the airport. I have note this feedback and it will be taken up with the Ground Crew Management and discussions will be initiated on how we could have managed things better. This will help us for future handling.

In order to reimburse the 7.00 EUR, please confirm the last 4 digits of your card by replying to my email.

Your case reference is: xxxxxxx

Yours sincerely

Mohammed-Owais Ansari
    easyJet Customer Services

Can anyone advise us on what our next step should be?
    Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure