PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Another £30 gone from our budget today, on meat & veg at the county town market and a couple of small items from our local supermarket. Meals are planned for a week, and I shouldn't need too much on Friday, just fruit, fish & cheese.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Spent £18.05 since last post (Monday :o)
    Thankfully although this seems high for just 9 days in, we have a habit of spending more near the beginning of the month and balancing it out later. We should be fine.

£86.15/£155.
    £68.85 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Asda delivery arrived today with lots of goodies and a very respectable £46.60 total :D

Spent a couple of quid at the local tesco on crisps and a 9 pack of kitkats.

Will be a minor miracle to make under £80 last two more weeks, but its just the two of us for one week and I have another £40 in my personal account, so we might just make it. :o Its certainly going to be a challenge.

Current Totals: £222.36/300
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    2 out of 3 new cards arrived yesterday, very well done Nationwide and Capital 1, reported lost Saturday a.m. and a Bank Holiday.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Spent 7.85 at M&S last Monday. Almost forgot to record it as I paid cash and didn't keep the receipt. Usually I spend using my card as it shows through the bank and so I can keep track of it.

Someone on here mentioned posting every day. I think I'll have to do the same every time I spend. However, I should be OK for a few days if I manage to keep away from the shops. One thing that has helped this month is that my car has been in at the garage having a gear cable replaced so we're down to one car at the moment which makes it more awkward to get out. (unless I get desperate and use the tractor :D)
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May 2018 at 11:58AM
    Hello all. On Monday I collected the package of deodorants and laundry freshener from the supermarket. While there I spent €24.90 on the following: more 2 for 1 cooked cocktail shrimp that I'll use for lunches; more 2 for 1 tubs of blueberries; Lebanese bread; an avocado, 2x carrots, an apple, more lamb's lettuce, etc; a couple lamb chops for my dinner that night.

I also had 2 NSDs on Tuesday and Wednesday.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    €94.08 / €400.00
    4 / 10 NSD

Just a note to say that I'm quite proud of myself for taking my lunch yesterday when I went out for work meetings and client on site meetings. I originally thought to take a 4pm snack wrap with me and to just buy lunch at a cafe where my first meeting would be (ending around 11:00am). Yesterday morning at the last minute I said, "No, I'll make a wrap for lunch as well."

Well, I'm so glad I did because the cost for the salad I was going to buy after my meeting actually costs €15.80! By taking the lunch wrap I literally saved myself approximately €14 which is the exact cost of a 10-ride metro pass in my city. Couching it that way, it really brought home the price of eating out to me once again. I used to rationalize a lot of my abstention from spending this way about 10 years ago but it's slipped a lot in the past few years. I haven't started a debt free diary yet, but I probably will later this summer. In the meantime I've started slowly reframing money for myself and how I can return to spending it meaningfully again.

* mutters * 10 whole metro rides could've gone down my throat with nothing left to show for it except for later in the toilet... :rotfl:
  • Tales17
    Tales17 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First update for May! :)

- £3.89 Graze Box

- £110.07 Tesco Shop - I usually do click and collect but didn't have time to sort it last week so went into the shop! Spent more than usual but I did stick to my list in general, topped up on a lot of things that were on offer and will last a few months (like toiletries and cleaning stuff), also includes a spend £10 on a freezing spray to try and get rid of my son's verrucas! Been trying with the gel for months but he hates it and screams like crazy when I try and get near his feet! So I went for something that will hopefully only need the one treatment to get rid of it!! :)

- £3.16 Top Up shop for bread and ham for kids sandwiches at beginning on the week!

- £73.57 Meat Delivery, it was a bit more than this but used up the small credit in my paypal account first and then this part went on my credit card so I am only counting this part! :)

So total spend to date is: £190.69! :D
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2018 at 6:46PM
    Hi, hope everyone is well. Went to the market and got 2 huge cauliflowers & a large bowl of tomatoes for £1, then went B&M (first time ever), wowsers, seriously cheap, got a ton of stuff, including tinned mixed beans @ 29p, garlic puree 39p, 3 jars of Pataks Balti sauce @ 10p each, dated 5/2019, priced in Waitrose @ £1.89 each (go figure), 12 x flapjacks @ 19p each, some stuff from bulk fund, toilet rolls and Lavazza coffee. Freebies from work - 2 cartons of plant milk, some rolled pastry and a 1kg bag of pine nut kernels, priced @ £36 - I don't have a clue what to do with them, a colleague said pesto, any suggestions greatly received - will have a Google. I still have loads left in the freezer and am eating out of stores, but space is appearing at long last. Going to try and meal plan - probably will have to be the w/e now. Anywho, came to the grand total of £7.98, so my May total is now £9.66. Have updated sig.
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Today has been a NSD, so I'm up to 5 now. I need to meal plan what I'm taking to the office tomorrow so I don't end up spending money on lunch at the cafe downstairs. (A different cafe this time!)

TOTALS SO FAR:
    5 / 10 NSD
    €94.08 / €400.00
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    ... and a 1kg bag of pine nut kernels, priced @ £36 - I don't have a clue what to do with them, a colleague said pesto, any suggestions greatly received - will have a Google.

Yes, pesto is one thing.

I add PNK to my jar of ready-mixed nuts and seeds that I have for breakfasts - a handful each of ready-mix nuts and seeds, frozen berries, raw (organic, jumbo) oats and a dollop of thick, full-fat greek yogurt. Mixed and eaten when I get to work this keeps me going until about two!

I also substitute PNK for some of the dried mixed fruit when I make tea-bread (also called pound cake or Kim's cake) - just 1lb of fruit and nuts, soaked in hot black tea, mixed with two mugs of flour, half a mug of sugar and 1 egg, then into a paper case in a 1lb loaf tin for an hour on 180c - great for lunch-boxes (sure it is in the recipes already, back 6-8 years). I add pumpkin seeds and broken cashews to my nut-mix.

PNK also go great in flapjacks and Twinks' Hobnobs... and in curries and chilli...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport