Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Alex - some America bald eagle chicks on this webcam :)
    https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Contentment certainly is thought provoking and one to be mused on. I kind of agree that in the main it has to be worked on, though how consciously you are able to do that i'm not too sure. Equally the realisation that you are content does seem to just happen, and i suspect out of nowhere rather than increasing month by month... possibly?!?!?

Not to sure what i have said there, very abstract thinking for a Saturday morning (good job i wasn't drinking last night!).

I've no idea how one finds contentment, to be honest. My parents instilled the notion only the lazy and without ambition are content with what they have. However, I don't think that is the case (hence thinking it comes later in life) and would like to raise my son to be content with his own life rather than constantly coveting more.
    Loved it! 13 of us in a large house that was warm and comfortable. There was a large bird-feeder outside the kitchen window and we saw all sorts of small birds on it; siskins, long-tailed tits, great tits, blue tits, chaffinches, coal tits and a regular red squirrel. We had stayed at the house before and only I saw a red squirrel then but he is obviously a regular visitor now and he gave us a huge amount of pleasure. It dumped about 5-6" (up to 15cm) snow every night for the first four and that is not my kind of walking weather but we had a super glen walk on the first warm sunny day and I spotted a distant pink-footed goose standing sentinel beside a nest on the ground with the female in it. Also explored Grantown on Spey for the first time. I never mind going back to the Cairngorms.

Ref the first part of your post, I am away a bit at the moment and my weight has crept up just enough so that the odd blouse feels snug or too short so I agree. Back to meat and veg or meat and salads for me now it is a bit warmer. And I must stop drinking the delicious bitter at the local when we go there - a glass of red wine is so much less fattening :( :beer: but still a pleasant social experience. I've posted the other two web cams in case your son would like to see them too

here is the woodland trust

Loch Garten is here
    beanielou wrote: »
    Loch Garten is lovely.

Sounds wonderful. :) We plan to make our way to Scotland for a family holiday at some point.

Thank you for the other webcams. Will show them to my son tomorrow. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Alex - some America bald eagle chicks on this webcam :)
    https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/

Another one to show my son tomorrow. :D

He'll love these. Thank you. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Alex

Interesting re contentment. I can see your parents' idea that it is good to strive for 'better' or 'more' and the benefits this can bring to life. There is perhaps an argument that once a person has reached a certain level of competence, wealth, fitness or whatever they were striving for they may enter a period of 'enough' and be perfectly content with that aspect of their life at that point.

I feel lots of people burn out or have health issues through the constant striving if it is accompanied by anxiety or a feeling that they or their efforts aren't enough on some scale they feel the outside world will measure them against, not sure if the same can be said for someone who is basically quite content. That doesn't mean they are stagnating necessarily, just happy that they are measuring up to their own measure of success and therefore content.

I'm not sure I measure myself against others that much - there will always be someone in a perceived better position, always someone in a perceived worse position. Others' success takes nothing away from me, others' failures does not make me any better than them. I can only live my own life and in the main am fairly content. Am I lazy? Does anyone care what I'm doing enough to think about it and label me as such ? Not sure but thank you, its given me food for pondering for this evening.

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I need to get back to being productive and effective in budgeting. We're spending a lot of money and I'm still struggling to get the eating out under control. Eating too much, drinking too much and it took its toll this morning. Work is still going well as is business. :)

Looked out the window this morning and thought it would have been the perfect for this upcoming wedding. Mrs. K. has been making a guest book for them this week. Friend is very concerned about what the bride's parents / family is going to think about his family not being there.

Daisy, I don't want my son to grow up to be as unsatisfied as my parents are. Father regrets a lot and both could not be satisfied they have 'enough'. I fall into the same category but am careful to feign being content with life to my son as I think my dissatisfaction is something I learnt to an extent.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Having a good week so far: spent very little money, eating much more healthily and moving towards finalising kitchen design. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Having a good week so far: spent very little money, eating much more healthily and moving towards finalising kitchen design. :)

All sounds very positive, well done.

Take care
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »

:j :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thank you. :)

Had a quiet day in the office today before picking my son up, cooking a family meal and going for a long walk. Sat by the river for a while, Mrs. K. was really good with our son this evening. After he went to bed she decided to look through our old photos. That brought a lot of memories back and I realised just how much things have changed, how much I've improved my mental health and attitude to life and how much my son has grown. Mrs. K. thinks we're through the hardest part of our lives now, I'm inclined to agree with caution as no one is aware what's around the corner.

My friend gets married tomorrow. He came here to stay for the evening just in time to see all our photos. He remembers Mrs. K. and I getting married, was convinced it wouldn't last at the time. :rotfl: Told me tonight he wants a family of his own. I really hope things work out for him this time. The wedding is small without an evening reception but still quite a few guests.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a lovely day :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure